Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,087 times

Advertisements

Are bed bugs an issue here in the Austin area?
We moved here a year ago via a pro mover. Now we are moving out of the 1 year get to know the area rental into a new home.

We will be renting a couple of Penske trucks and I am worried about picking up bed bugs along the way. DH and I were just discussing making sure we had up all our mattresses bagged and wrap all the fabric furniture in plastic.

Are we being paranoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 PM

307 posts, read 721,560 times
sounds like a super weird thing to be worried about... It seems that the (nationwide) bed bug epidemic has been largely contained, no? and I speak from someone who travels a lot for business and fun.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post

Are we being paranoid?
Yes. If you don't have bed bugs now, I doubt you will get them from the truck. It seems like terrific overkill to wrap everything in plastic just for a move across town. You could ask Penske about whether they have heard the problem reported, and you could clean the truck out before you put anything in if you are really concerned. But I would think the plastic thing is not necessary at all. We moved from CA almost 3 years ago, and never thought about bed bugs. Our mattresses were in big plastic bags to keep them clean, but the furniture was all wrapped in moving blankets with big rubber bands to keep them on. We picked up no insects of any kind.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:41 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,632 times
I'd use the bags, if nothing else they won't get dirty and it makes them easier to slide around and carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin