Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,539 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are college students in Cleveland, OH. We are expecting a baby and have decided to move back to Texas to be a little closer to family. My husband will be attending UT; I will be staying home with our baby.

What are good neighborhoods for a family on a budget (renting, we are not purchasing a home)? Quiet, affordability and safety are our top priority. Anything more than a 15-20 minute commute to UT would not be preferable, but we understand that may be inevitable.

Are there any specific neighborhoods, apartment complexes or streets to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times
You probably want to look at the Far West area -- it's part of the area of town known as Northwest Hills. There is a UT shuttle that runs through there, plenty of apartments and condos available. Very safe and quiet compared to any other student area. Lots of medical offices in the area too, which would be good for a new baby or expecting mother.

There is also married student housing owned by UT just west of downtown. I think it is difficult to get in, but that might also be an option.

You want to probably avoid West Campus because it is very loud, it's where the frat houses and paid dorms are. North Campus is a little quieter. Both of those locations are very expensive because they are adjacent to the school.

Also probably want to avoid the East Riverside student area, although that is currently undergoing revitalization and getting better. Avoid apartment complexes in NE Austin around Cameron Rd and farther up North and East. Also want to avoid north of 183, particularly around the Lamar/Rutland/Rundberg area.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,119,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssamurai View Post
My husband and I are college students in Cleveland, OH. We are expecting a baby and have decided to move back to Texas to be a little closer to family. My husband will be attending UT; I will be staying home with our baby.

What are good neighborhoods for a family on a budget (renting, we are not purchasing a home)? Quiet, affordability and safety are our top priority. Anything more than a 15-20 minute commute to UT would not be preferable, but we understand that may be inevitable.

Are there any specific neighborhoods, apartment complexes or streets to avoid?
Surprisingly there are one off house rentals in the crestview, northloop, hyde park, allandale area that are very close to campus that you can get for a pretty reasonable price. Many people are just looking for a good reliable tenant and arent looking to maximize their rental return. You should start monitoring craigslist now. You can also work with an apt locator, but they wont have access to the one off rentals.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:56 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,916,678 times
What's your rental budget?

Old 04-23-2013, 05:11 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
You probably want to look at the Far West area -- it's part of the area of town known as Northwest Hills. There is a UT shuttle that runs through there, plenty of apartments and condos available. Very safe and quiet compared to any other student area. Lots of medical offices in the area too, which would be good for a new baby or expecting mother.

There is also married student housing owned by UT just west of downtown. I think it is difficult to get in, but that might also be an option.

You want to probably avoid West Campus because it is very loud, it's where the frat houses and paid dorms are. North Campus is a little quieter. Both of those locations are very expensive because they are adjacent to the school.

Also probably want to avoid the East Riverside student area, although that is currently undergoing revitalization and getting better. Avoid apartment complexes in NE Austin around Cameron Rd and farther up North and East. Also want to avoid north of 183, particularly around the Lamar/Rutland/Rundberg area.
This is all good advice. The West Avenue area is a good location for UT students with children, however it is easily more than a 20 minute commute to UT. There are nice, quiet neighborhoods closer, but they are probably not affordable for a student family.

https://www.padmapper.com/ might be helpful.

Crime Map Beta - Trulia will help you visualize where the safest areas and highest crime areas of town are. Keep in mind that overall Austin has very low violent crime rates, but high property crime rates, especially petty theft and theft from automobiles. So any areas with large parking lots tend to show up as high crime.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:33 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
This is all good advice. The West Avenue area is a good location for UT students with children, however it is easily more than a 20 minute commute to UT. There are nice, quiet neighborhoods closer, but they are probably not affordable for a student family.
Did you mean the Far West blvd area? Because that's definitely less than 20 minutes to UT, except perhaps during the height of rush hour. But most students travel at different times, and it's on the UT shuttle which is quite quick... maybe 15 minutes? I don't think any of the UT shuttle locations are more than 20 mins away from UT, even Riverside.

Here you go -- Google says 14 minutes. And that's not even going the most direct route.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Far+W...+ut+a&t=h&z=13

Old 04-23-2013, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,539 times
Thank you all. You have been very helpful!
Currently, our maximum is $900-950 (we are wanting two bedrooms).

Again, thank you for your input.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,119,253 times
Quote:

Dont know how legit craigslist is, but Im seeing allandale 2br apts for 985

Old 04-23-2013, 10:51 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,620,842 times
Quote:

I'd get an Apartment locator but the Far West area is a good suggestion you can walk to HEB,CVS and Austin Reginal Clinic from the apartments.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Did you mean the Far West blvd area? Because that's definitely less than 20 minutes to UT, except perhaps during the height of rush hour. But most students travel at different times, and it's on the UT shuttle which is quite quick... maybe 15 minutes? I don't think any of the UT shuttle locations are more than 20 mins away from UT, even Riverside.

Here you go -- Google says 14 minutes. And that's not even going the most direct route.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Far+W...+ut+a&t=h&z=13
Yes I did mean Far West Blvd area. Thank you for correcting me. Clearly I was mistaken regarding the driving time. I assumed since it was all on surface streets that it would be much slower then that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: