Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 12:41 PM

14 posts, read 24,273 times

Advertisements

I will be receiving a living stipend (above and beyond tuition) almost identical to my current salary when I begin graduate school. This stipend is guaranteed for the next 4 years, but no mortgage lenders so far will consider it "verifiable income" for a home mortgage. I've heard that there are a few in Austin that will considering it has such a large student population. Could someone give me the names of these lenders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
No idea but I do know people who have run into similar troubles. Contact the graduate school, they should be able to advise you and possible know of more flexible lenders, word of warning, credit is still pretty tight, in general, lending standards are tougher than they were several years ago.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:16 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
I don't know the answer to your specific question, but I suggest you try Tommy Nelms, he has a broad knowledgeable about numerous lending companies and what is available. http://www.vlender.com/t/thenelmsteam/about_us.html

Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 PM

215 posts, read 351,107 times
My neighbor had the same problem. He received a stipend from UT and had trouble getting credit.
I understand it is not guaranteed, but most thing are not.
All of our state contracts are written in such a way that if funding is cut by the legislatures the contract can be voided by the state. I guess it is similar in that it is similar to the state contracts regarding funding.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Gone View Post
My neighbor had the same problem. He received a stipend from UT and had trouble getting credit.
I understand it is not guaranteed, but most thing are not.
All of our state contracts are written in such a way that if funding is cut by the legislatures the contract can be voided by the state. I guess it is similar in that it is similar to the state contracts regarding funding.
Ah, very interesting hypothesis! I had never thought of it that way, and this makes sense.

The even more unfortunate thing is that my husband makes really good money, but because his current job is in Houston, they want to consider this a "secondary" or "vacation" home, despite the fact we do not own a primary home in Houston, and this has even more restrictions.

I guess having excellent credit, salary, and savings doesn't help much with buying a home nowadays :-) Kidding - I know we have a unique situation.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:51 PM

327 posts, read 774,539 times
Is this stipend in addition to your current salary, or will you stop working and go to school? If you're planning to stop working it wouldn't matter because they can base your loan on your current salary. As long as you're still employed at closing time they can't look into the future. Also, what grad program is four years long?

Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 PM

That's what I tried telling them, but they won't use my current salary since they know I will be moving there for school. I may or may not continue working, but it would be very part-time.

The program is for master's and PhD in engineering. It may last longer than 4 years, at which point I will need to secure additional funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: