Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 07:30 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,669 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Phisch...I'm glad its better out there. Once, when I was teaching Sunday School in CA, I asked the kids "what color do you think of when you think of Summer?" Coming from Texas, I was thinking green....a little girl answered, "Brown."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 07:35 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
I say, be thankful you have sold your home. After six months of trying we have not sold and the Texas job has had to move on. Seems we're stuck here in Cali for now. I agree with an earlier poster...who has time to enjoy anything here when you're working like a dog just to have the basics. Sheesh!

Sadly saying bye to Austin...for now.
Jazzed, I'm sorry to hear about the job.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:35 PM

701 posts, read 2,481,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
Thanks, Phisch...I'm glad its better out there. Once, when I was teaching Sunday School in CA, I asked the kids "what color do you think of when you think of Summer?" Coming from Texas, I was thinking green....a little girl answered, "Brown."
Oh yes, very brown. That's what the hills there look like without fail in the summer, but that's just natural. It's the groomed and landscaped areas that aren't because they're artificially irrigated. Now, come spring, though, the green is amazing! On the sides of the freeways, you'll see lupine and California poppies and other wildflowers. Granted, not like Austin's wildflowers but because they only happen for a short time in so. Calif., you tend to not take them for granted.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
I say, be thankful you have sold your home. After six months of trying we have not sold and the Texas job has had to move on. Seems we're stuck here in Cali for now. I agree with an earlier poster...who has time to enjoy anything here when you're working like a dog just to have the basics. Sheesh!

Sadly saying bye to Austin...for now.
For now only! Chin up...you never know when the opportunity will come up for your hubby.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:37 PM

12 posts, read 36,360 times
Default your theory doesn't really make sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest1230 View Post
Cali just priced everyone out. I am of the conclusion that If you could land a house for the same size and price as Austin, you would move back in a heartbeat. Come on, you wouldn't rather live off Cornonado Beach in a beautiful spread if you could? I think its 100% just a we can't afford to live there thing. The west is so barren of cities that you have to go all the way out to Austin, if you don't like Vegas, Phoenix, and SLC. Simply not a hell of a lot of decent affordable cities to choose from. I think Austin, Houston, SA and the metroplexes are the only cities that are on the affordability radar for californians......I think it temporary, and that they will all end up going back, just like the folks that thought Vegas was the big place to be 5-7 years ago......
You say people leave California because they get priced out. But it's only temporary and they will all go back?

For the most part, if you leave California for affordability reasons, there is very little chance you can afford to move back later. Generally, prices in California appreciate faster than in the rest of the country, especially Texas. There is the occasional exception: Austin has remained strong, while California's central valley has tanked. But in general, it's very hard to move back to California if you left the state for financial reasons.

One last quibble: "Austin, Houston, SA and the metroplexes are the only cities that are on the affordability radar for californians"? In disucssions I had with other Californians considering a move, no one was clamoring to get to Houston or San Antonio. The most common cities I heard mentioned were Austin, Denver, Portland, Seattle. (I was in NorCal. Preferences in SoCal may be different. I would think an L.A. resident would be more open to Phoenix or Dallas than a Bay Area resident.) You may counter that Portland and Seattle are not affordable, but they appear affordable to many Californians.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:50 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,589 times
The Eyes of Texas are still Upon You.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:58 PM

12 posts, read 36,360 times
Regarding the original question, I do miss the ocean and mountains. The mountains more so. I miss skiing/snowboarding 3 times a year in Tahoe and Mammoth. I miss camping in Yosemite and other parts of the Sierras every summer. The ocean was fun, but the water is cold in NorCal, so it wasn't a big part of my life.

That being said, I love Austin. I love the warm weather. It felt like 80 degress today (and it probably was, I just haven't checked). I love cheap breakfast tacos. I love swimming at Deep Eddy. I love running along Town Lake and Shoal Creek. I love that RunTex provides cold water at two locations on Town Lake (even if it is a calculated move to increase demand for running shoes). I love going to downtown bars (west 6th especially) and enjoying a cold beer outside. I love the free live music at random bars. I love the fact that I could afford to buy a house if I wanted to. (Although I'm not enamored with the prospect of already-high property taxes rising in lock step with the value of my home.) I love BBQ. I love waltzing into UT basketball games because everyone is too enamored with football to bother watching basketball live. I love that almost everything is cheaper here, even cereal. I love the shaded canopy throughout my neighborhood. I love that people around Northcross are fighting WalMart. I love flying in and out of a clean/modern/simple/easy-to-use airport that serves brisket tacos and Amy's ice cream.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rob View Post
I love ... Amy's ice cream.
Hear, hear! Mmmmmmmexican vanilla. Amazing good stuff! There's a gelato place mentioned in the recent issue of Rare Austin that I have to check out.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:16 PM

4 posts, read 52,224 times
Default california mountains

I am not in austin but I am living in insufferable life-sapping hot weather, utter lack of inspiring physical and geographic beauty, bible-thumping narrow-minded judgmental houston! miss the nature and beauty!

Old 11-23-2007, 11:36 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley m View Post
I am not in austin but I am living in insufferable life-sapping hot weather, utter lack of inspiring physical and geographic beauty, bible-thumping narrow-minded judgmental houston! miss the nature and beauty!
A Californian complaining... big surprise! Um, did anyone warn you that Texas is NOT for wimps? Why did you move to a place that sucks so bad anyway?

Hot weather, I agree. That's why God made water.

Lack of geographic beauty, I definitely agree. SE TX got the short end of the stick in that department.

But bible thumping and narrow minded? This is one of the least judgmental cities in the state. Where do you live -- Liberty? Conroe? How very kind of you to paint all 5.5 million of us metro-dwellers with your broad, brown-covered brush. You should really live in the Waco or Fort Worth areas before doing something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin