Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:16 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,629 times

Advertisements

I would be interested in this...how many IRS offices are there in Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 09:24 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,629 times
bump this up

Old 03-10-2008, 09:38 AM

38 posts, read 194,206 times
I just saw a new posting on yahoo jobs for clerks and a hiring session at IRS ,March 13.
Rather disapointing to say the least to find they still are taking new apps.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:33 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,895,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
I would be interested in this...how many IRS offices are there in Austin?
Not sure actually. The main center is on I-35 and Woodward near Ben White. That building has about 5,000 employees. There are also a few satellite buildings close by.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:40 PM

38 posts, read 194,206 times
I got another offer for a test This time I will be able to go.Here is hoping! In the meantime I will still continue to apply.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:36 AM

639 posts, read 3,526,841 times
This post regarding the IRS in Austin with all the questions and answers on it is VERY interesting to SO many of us, please keep it going, it's awesome information about Austin, the IRS, where it's located, where to live in the surrounding area and all that. I couldn't believe it when I saw it posted here, I thought I was seeing things. A few of us that are at the IRS in the United States are thinking of putting applications in for either Austin or Fresno, CA., down the road. Do you think we'd actually have a chance of getting hired in Austin? Another thing we were wondering about. What if we waited until 2010 to put our paperwork in, do you think we'd still have a shot at getting hired in Austin then? What does the future look like in Austin, are they talking about expanding and having a bigger facility for more jobs that are expected there?

Just curious, thanks for your time & assistance to this pressing matter!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:49 AM

115 posts, read 492,446 times
I had gotten a call back for the seasonal data transcriber position in February, but I already had secured a day fulltime job with the State. So, I tried to do the night shift of 6pm - 2:30am at the IRS. I didn't last a week! I really wanted that job and the pay was $14/hr for the night shift but I was too tired. There are a lot of people on the night shift that have day jobs though. They didn't offer part time for data transcriber positions. They were laying us off after training and bringing us back possibly mid-March. There wasn't as much work this year due to the increase in E-file. So, they were hoping for an influx of paper filings later.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:27 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,895,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl52 View Post
A few of us that are at the IRS in the United States are thinking of putting applications in for either Austin or Fresno, CA., down the road. Do you think we'd actually have a chance of getting hired in Austin? Another thing we were wondering about. What if we waited until 2010 to put our paperwork in, do you think we'd still have a shot at getting hired in Austin then?
I don't see why not. I've met a few folks that worked for the IRS in other cities that have transferred here. If you fit a job category, just apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl52 View Post
What does the future look like in Austin, are they talking about expanding and having a bigger facility for more jobs that are expected there?
From what I've heard, they are planning to acquire more space within the next couple of years. Maybe even as soon as next year.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 13,299 times
I used to work for IRS, years ago. If you get made permanent rather than seasonal, which sometimes can happen after you've been there awhile, it is a very secure job. Once you are hired as permanent you can't just get laid off if there is no work. They will simply shift people around to different programs as needed. So the strong job security is a big plus.

There are lots of great benefits - affordable health care insurance, and tons of paid vacation time and sick days, even for seasonal employees. There are usually different shifts available, days and nights, and early day shifts for people who want to be off when their kids come home from school. You can work four 10-hour days a week if you want, either on day shift or night shift, so that you can have a three day weekend. Night shift pays 10% more than day shift.

The downside is the mediocrity that someone mentioned. There are lots of people of varying degrees of competency and intelligence, in both coworkers and in management. If this would drive you crazy then prepare to be crazy much of the time. There's plenty of things that, let's say, don't get handled as well as they could, like training, procedures, memos, review, work structure, etc. so there are lots of opportunites for frustration.

But it's all a tradeoff. Considering the good pay, job security, and benefits, it's overall a good steady gig for many people.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:48 PM

655 posts, read 2,202,198 times
The no dress code part sounds good.

Last edited by Slappy san; 03-13-2008 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: found the link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin