Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 07:27 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB70 View Post
But others have left there jobs and are not covered right now and have no clue they will not be covered unless they meet those sign up dates.

A rep should of explained that.
Didn't you get to watch that fine movie at orientation? I thought everything was made crystal clear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 04:36 PM

27 posts, read 106,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itcoastie View Post
are you allowed to ask what was your score, even if they didn't hire you?

They emailed my score to me, what do you mean are you allowed to ask?? The whole sitting in a cube all day like sheep sounds pretty crappy to me...no thanks even if they do come calling. Amazing what people WILL do for benefits.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:10 PM

38 posts, read 194,208 times
Well thats a govt job for you..Some people need benefits that have families and have gotten layed off elsewhere. The cost of cobra thru your former work is unbelievably high.
People need to feed,cloth and send kids to college you know..thats life.Besides you do have a union,and if you do your job well,keep your nose clean l there is job security that you do not have down the street at some small office who can fire you for farting and there isnt much you can do about it.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Didn't you get to watch that fine movie at orientation? I thought everything was made crystal clear
Uh yea I saw it..it was a gem. Now if they could just make one that was maybe at least into the 2000s era! When I was there it was for a seasonal job and I thought benefits didnt apply.Seeing as how they didnt recognize current workers (even with name badges) I thought things might be a tad mixed up!
Im hoping to get a packet in the mail soon so I dont have to print another cartidge worth of back ink(like I did for the many apps I printed) to read the different plans!

Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 PM

27 posts, read 106,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB70 View Post
Well thats a govt job for you..Some people need benefits that have families and have gotten layed off elsewhere. The cost of cobra thru your former work is unbelievably high.
People need to feed,cloth and send kids to college you know..thats life.Besides you do have a union,and if you do your job well,keep your nose clean l there is job security that you do not have down the street at some small office who can fire you for farting and there isnt much you can do about it.

Sorry, I was not trying to offend wth the previous comments, just get kinda annoyed with the way they treat people there and other government agencies. There are planty of companies that do not just get rid of people for anything, I would say teaching is about the safest career as far as attrition...if that's what blows your smoke. I just have a tough time being micro-managed, that's all. God did give us all minds to use, and they treat people like they have no intellectual abilities whatsoever at the IRS. In the end, I would rather rule my life, than my job rule me. What I am saying is, people DO HAVE OPTIONS, you just have to seek them.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:34 AM

As far as sitting in a cubicle well that is the nature of jobs like customer service admin..the best thing is it seems to be a group of friendly people.Ive not once time had anyone walk by me without smiling or acknowledging me in some sort of way.
Micro managing goes on everywhere. I once worked in a dental office in which the dentist was up front more then she was at the back working on patients.Talk about micro managing! You are going to find that everywhere,some people just cannot help trying to run the show even if they dont have the power to do so..after working as long as I have I have just about seen it all.
Good luck in your search..with the state we are in now can you honestly say anyones job is safe?

Old 03-22-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino85 View Post
Sorry, I was not trying to offend wth the previous comments, just get kinda annoyed with the way they treat people there and other government agencies. There are planty of companies that do not just get rid of people for anything, I would say teaching is about the safest career as far as attrition...if that's what blows your smoke. I just have a tough time being micro-managed, that's all. God did give us all minds to use, and they treat people like they have no intellectual abilities whatsoever at the IRS. In the end, I would rather rule my life, than my job rule me. What I am saying is, people DO HAVE OPTIONS, you just have to seek them.
That's why I'm seasonal. Do my thing, go home. I've always lived the Bohemian, part-time thing. Keeps life interesting. If you stitch 2-3 jobs together, you can live O.K. I'm fortunate that my wife's job has benefits, so I don't need them from the man...er, I.R.S.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:18 AM

I think also considering what kind of work you are doing there has to be some hard fast rules and regulations concering prvacy issues. Think about it,you have peoples most private info at your fingertipsThat is why things are so structured,and also if you were dumb enough to try to get info on other people then not a union or anyone else would be able to help you I think its a great job if you just go to work keep your nose out of places you should not be in to.
The down side is not all departments have that option for flex time. I heard the union is trying to get that for everyone but you hear all sorts of stuff there.
Bottom line is hopefully you get a good manager and are able to take time off you earned.I did hear you should apply sevral months in advance for vacations.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:39 PM

55 posts, read 178,144 times
This is a great post! But, I am a bit concerned form what I heard. I recently applied for a clerk job through a temp agency. I was informed that the job was temp to hire.... which I am hoping it is since I HATE looking for jobs. The problem I have is that I am living in san diego and I am suppose to be moving in about 2 weeks, pending this job. I was recently fired from my job in san diego (it was one of those small companies who can fire you if you fart at the wrong time) they just said they were making cut backs. Does it really take several months to find out if you have the job after you get finger printed? I was told that I should receive a call later next week to set up a time. I may sound a little nerotic but I do not want to waste away all my saving on living expences

Old 03-24-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca0 View Post
This is a great post! But, I am a bit concerned form what I heard. I recently applied for a clerk job through a temp agency. I was informed that the job was temp to hire.... which I am hoping it is since I HATE looking for jobs. The problem I have is that I am living in san diego and I am suppose to be moving in about 2 weeks, pending this job. I was recently fired from my job in san diego (it was one of those small companies who can fire you if you fart at the wrong time) they just said they were making cut backs. Does it really take several months to find out if you have the job after you get finger printed? I was told that I should receive a call later next week to set up a time. I may sound a little nerotic but I do not want to waste away all my saving on living expences
It took less than one month from the time I got finger-printed until my first day. It just depends on need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin