U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:45 AM

639 posts, read 2,533,794 times

Advertisements

I'm a "term" at the IRS and get vacation & sick time accrued, NOT working in Austin though, but in New England. The IRS is definitely wonderful to work for and I can honestly say, that YES they're strict with what's expected of you, but once you get the hang of their ways? You're golden in there in the end! I just did my 5th season and I was supposed to leave there evidently after my 4th season, but they ended up extending me, so I was pretty happy about that. My service at the IRS is being accrued toward retirement, I'm ecstatic about that one and their Thrift Savings Plan is quite good, that's also being utilized by quite a lot of us even though we're considered "terms" and will be booted out of there next year, probably for good.

As far as the quality & efficiency being important at the IRS? I think it's a very good method they have with it all. After all, their number one customer is the general public and we're all in there providing that service with our assistance, the way they want it done too. Oh yes I agree, the IRS is quite strict with what they want you to do in there, but you know? You definitely get used to their rules & what they expect of you, and in the end? Once you're on a roll with what they want you to process and grasp? It's not a problem for a lot of us. It's definitely an awesome job in my book! As long as you don't mind "seasonal" type work, you're out the door in less than 5-6 months, it's terrific! I myself think it's the best thing, working there and as far as their dress code is concerned? It's awesome not having to dress up every day! For what? So your suits & dresses can get ruined with the paper dust every day! I think people work better when they know they can RELAX any way, don't you? Being in there for 6 months tops to begin with gives you a better out look on life in general! Why get all dressed up in a suit with heels every day when you don't have to! It definitely IS a wonderful place to work when it comes right down to it. There's NO doubt about that either! I can tell you that there's a huge amount of us that wish we could stay permanent at the IRS rather than stay seasonal, but that's not going to happen any time soon up here for any of us where they're consolidating these complexes around the country. May be our new Congresswoman for this region will be able to pull strings in DC for all of us to stay for 4 more years! We'll keep our fingers crossed and think positive until we get the next ax!

I would say you guys in Austin are very very fortunate to have the IRS facility right there! At least you know you won't have to worry about going any where else for a long time, like us! You guys can just stay put, you lucky dogs working seasonal and all! A few of us are considering the move down to Austin. We're checking out that weather you guys have all the time online (like the weather channel site!) I have it on every day; as soon as I turn my computer on, so I'll be able to see what it is, especially this summer, to really decide if I want that heat of yours that we keep hearing you guys have! It will be the deciding factor in the end for some of us! Some of us are also doing our homework right here on this awesome site "City-Data" by checking out a few of those neat suburbs of yours (like Cedar Park may be??) So tell us, where else do people that work at the IRS drive in from to get to that IRS complex??

In any case again, thank you every one here for your tremendous help, it's greatly appreciated. Like I said previously, this particular forum post is VERY VERY important to a LOT of us around the country. Merci.

Last edited by CityGirl52; 05-04-2008 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 12:14 PM

2,334 posts, read 5,234,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell View Post
In addition to what Slappy san mentioned, you are eligible for healthcare if you are full-time seasonal (not temporary -- there is a difference between temporary and seasonal) and if the season lasts for more than six months out of the year. (Sadly, my season will probably only be 4-5 months.)

Also, seasonal employees accrue sick and vacation leave, have service counted toward retirement, and can contribute to the Thrift Savings Plan. Seasonal employees can also apply for internal job postings and can apply as status candidates for other federal government jobs.

I'm working at the IRS as a ITIN Tax Examiner in Austin (started in February) and I love it! People are friendly and helpful, and I find my work interesting. I agree with people who said where you work in the IRS makes a difference in how much you like it and what the policies are toward leave though. Fortunately there is a union (not mandatory that you join or pay dues) to help prevent abuses.

As for an air of mediocrity -- I disagree. They set a high standard for efficiency and quality, which I think is only right. I've been having trouble keeping up with the speed required, although my quality is good. If you don't meet the standard, you will get a lower rating, and you will be among the first released and possibly not asked back next year.

This is all a bit too late to help for this year, but I still thought I should post!
I think perceptions about these jobs vary considerably depending on the work you are doing, who your manager is and how well you were trained. I was detailed out to Recruitment and Background Investigations my first 6 weeks and really liked it. Friendly, helpful but laid-back folks, reasonable and clear expectations, solid training and interesting work. When I got to ITIN, it was the complete opposite: bad training, surly, distant managers and unclear goals from team leaders. I have had to be persistent and aggressive to receive the information and training I needed for reaching department expectations. I've seen some folks treated kind of shabbily the past week as well.

There has been a lot of wishy-washy, policy changes in Clerical during the season. They have handled the first furlough very poorly and unprofessionally, changing the order and criteria 3 times in one week. They actually told everyone that quality and productivity is only a portion of the measurements and that those who worked for the IRS previously get ranked higher regardless of their quality. There's a guy on my team getting furloughed who is one of the most knowledgeable, hard-working and helpful people in the whole department but since he hasn't been there as long, he's getting cut. Weird. Talk about bureaucracy!

As far as mediocrity, I see it everyday in Clerical and on the TE floor. Just a real cavalier tendency to pass on work(and problems) to the next person down the pipeline. All kinds of poor communication issues. I've encountered this with several mangers: shoulder shrugs, "whatever" facial expressions". It sort of tempers ambition a bit. This isn't really an indictment, just an observation. In fact, for seasonal work, it's almost preferable to having someone ride your *ss every minute since there's no real opportunity for advancement until the next season when you might be with a different manager anyway. And BTW, this has been a very slow season, so imagine keeping your speed up with double the volume

Again, not a bad seasonal job but very dependent on placement and manager.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:09 PM

21 posts, read 77,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl52 View Post
In any case again, thank you every one here for your tremendous help, it's greatly appreciated. Like I said previously, this particular forum post is VERY VERY important to a LOT of us around the country. Merci.
Good luck, CityGirl52! Hopefully you will have the opportunity to still be able to work where you are, instead of having to move.

I drive in from San Marcos, which is to the south and is about 35 minutes away from where the IRS is located. Traffic coming from the south on I-35 is much much less than from the north, because the IRS is in south Austin and so people coming from the north have to pass through the center of town. Austin traffic is a nightmare! It'd probably take an hour minimum from Cedar Park, maybe more because of accidents. On the other hand, I only know about my and others' swing shift exprience -- maybe for days, coming from the north or Cedar Park would be better, since day shift starts super early at like 6am when there is probably very little traffic. Between San Marcos and Austin, the other two main towns are Kyle and Buda. San Marcos is a nice town where Texas State University is located, and it is also known for its outlet malls.

Why are you focusing on suburbs and not on (south) Austin itself though? Is it schools? I can't help you too much with schools, since I'm not raising a family and haven't looked into them.

Last edited by jmitchell; 05-04-2008 at 04:37 PM..

Old 05-04-2008, 08:27 PM

610 posts, read 1,426,188 times
This is for an IRS employee.

How long does it take for the IRS to act on a Form 3949-A. It been a year already and nothing.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:03 PM

38 posts, read 145,278 times
For GregandVicky..not sure didnt read anything on a time frame I am sure all would have to be checked out throughly first.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:06 PM

I live in South Austin takes me maybe 15 min to get there from home On way back a bit longer depending on hpow 35 is running however still a short commute South Austin is still building..as mentioned..driving from North Austin..no way We have some folks who drive from Round Rock and further..do not see how they do it daily.Roads have not caught up to people as of yet.
Weather wise is fine here..would not recomend Houston area..humid and sqeeters as big as your foot.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:14 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,735,770 times
Just how do ou get a reply for an application? I applied for a permanent position, all it says is "application received" its said that for about a month now, what else can I do to get some sort of reply? Its for the correspondence technician position, the permanent one, not the temporary job.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:10 AM

I applied to alot of seasonal never got called for any of them just fingerprints I finaly got called for perm but be prepared to go with in a few days They only gave me one day notice to get in for the test.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:11 PM

983 posts, read 3,052,871 times
Very true Jmitchell! I worked for IRS in Atlanta for 2 seasons and did have medical and contributions to TSP. Can't remember about sick and vacay since it was '03 and '04. As for me, I hated doing Data Transcriber work day in and day out. It is not for everyone. But yes, the standard is very high and slackers will not make it. You can be let go, and not called back for not meeting your quantity and quality standards.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:59 AM

IRS Austin is running ads on TV again for seasonal.I looked on the USA jobs and did see seasonal customer service reps for face to face and call lines.Now keep in mind this job requires 6 weeks of training (prior training was 3 mos) . Not sure how they are going to do a seasonal placement for this as everyday you encounter something that was not covered in training. Budget for the 09 yr(Oct) may provide more spots for hiring permanent.But you never know.
Keep in mind this is a massive amount of information you are required to learn.Its very structured as far as your time on a call,your time on ending the call and the required steps you have to do when resolving the call. You are rated on calls,errors,and the calls are recorded and they see everything and where you go on the system.The amount of errors you get also is projected to the dept as a whole. Your time off is another issue since most people have been there multiple yrs so getting to use your acrued time off is a bit of a challenge unless you are happy to take that cruise on a Tues Wed or Thurs.Interesting work, huge load of information and responsibility.Keep in mind that everything you do is watched on and off the system To long off the phone they will come look for you see what you are doing.The pay scale is 05 potential to 08 but also there are many steps under a 05 to get to that 06.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin