Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,879,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
The spring of 2007 was wondrously wet and we had an abundance of wildflowers that I fear we will not see again in our lifetimes. Oh to be back then! We totally cheated summer that year, with rain cooling things off.
But do you remember the fall that year? It was in to the mid 90's until late October. Summer just came late that year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Aside from my time in California I've never experienced such a great stretch of weather...aside from a few cold days around Christmas (seasonably timely) it's pretty much been perfect since last September
There was about 2-3 weeks of nasty weather with overcast skies and high temps in the 40's and 50's in January that I despised, but other than that, and some cold weather around Christmas (which doesn't bother me), it has been a glorious fall, winter, and spring.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 AM

440 posts, read 714,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
But do you remember the fall that year? It was in to the mid 90's until late October. Summer just came late that year.
Yes I do. Could not wait for it to break. I've been a weather watcher since I was a kid and often remember a year by its weather.

2000 was hell into October - 100 degree days without rain.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
The year of coughing up dirt at ACL.
Yes, the 107 temp hit during ACL. So be careful of wishing for a cool summer.

Think of it this way:
The cold air up in Canada normally builds up and comes down here in spurts. Each time it comes down here, it needs more time to build up. If the cool air in Canada is constantly coming down here during the summer, that allows the air in Canada to actually never really get cool. So, in the fall when normal cold fronts come, it never materializes. They call that "Indian Summer" on the East Coast. We just call it a late summer here.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Yes I do. Could not wait for it to break. I've been a weather watcher since I was a kid and often remember a year by its weather.

2000 was hell into October - 100 degree days without rain.
So would you prefer a mild summer and then a hot fall or a hot summer and then a cool fall (like 2009)? It was mid 60's by September but 100's all summer. ACL was a rainout that year, after a very hot and dry summer.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
I would prefer the weather pattern that results in more rain overall .

Old 05-15-2013, 11:11 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,758,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
There was about 2-3 weeks of nasty weather with overcast skies and high temps in the 40's and 50's in January that I despised, but other than that, and some cold weather around Christmas (which doesn't bother me), it has been a glorious fall, winter, and spring.
That was nothing. It was slightly chilly for a week or so, a little rain. About the mildest winter I've ever been through in Texas. Other than that it's been pretty much gorgeous since September...if Texas were like this every year I would take it.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:26 AM

654 posts, read 1,909,119 times
I think I am the cause of our very mild weather so far this year. My brother moved to Austin last November. My sisters and I have told him how horrible the summers are here, how hot they are and how they start early and end late. Every time one of us talks to him, he teases how he isn't sure he can handle the brutal weather here much longer. I'm happy to take the teasing in exchange for this.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:30 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
I think I am the cause of our very mild weather so far this year. My brother moved to Austin last November. My sisters and I have told him how horrible the summers are here, how hot they are and how they start early and end late. Every time one of us talks to him, he teases how he isn't sure he can handle the brutal weather here much longer. I'm happy to take the teasing in exchange for this.
Could you also explain to him how it never rains here and the lakes are going to run dry?

Old 05-15-2013, 11:36 AM

625 posts, read 1,133,587 times
Sometimes we all need a reality check:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/ewx/aus/attmontemp.pdf

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/images/ewx/aus/attmonrain.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin