Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 11:12 AM

198 posts, read 397,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCardinal View Post
Well, I've only lived here for 22 years so maybe that's not enough. But I've worked in and around city politics for some time so I feel like I have a little sense of what's what.

Look, I hear what you're saying. The council does a lot of things that seem outrageous to COA observers, including you it seems. The examples you cite are certainly open to vigorous debate and AAS will write editorials and so forth. But few of those policies - however misguided they seem to the people paying attention - have the potential to incite outrage like this ADA-accessibility-in-private-homes issue. Your average Joe Blow Voter in Circle C or Steiner or NW Hills won't be picketing City Hall over the affordable housing switcheroo, but they will damn sure get their pitchforks out if we start telling them to outfit their private homes for the ADA. When you start hitting people in the face with do-gooder policies they tend to notice the "hitting in the face" part and forget about the "do-gooder" part. The plastic bag ban was bad enough.

The above posters have it right anyway - this idea is dead once 10-1 gets implemented anyway, so I'm not going to spend a bunch of time worrying about it.
Voting under 10-1 doesn't go into effect until the November 2014 election. That's plenty of time for the current council to attempt to push these crazy ideas through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Where does Austin find these lunatics?

I own a wheelchair that has been used extensively by immediate family members in recent years, but come on people!

And one of my grandsons who has cerebral palsy spent about a year in a wheelchair when he was a toddler recovering from corrective surgeries, so it's not like I'm hostile to the idea of making houses ADA friendly.

Choice....how does it work?
I'm not hostile to ADA for public places.

But I'm fairly certain that since we don't know each other your grandson is not likely to visit me. So you wouldn't require me to make accommodations for him. I'm also confident you would CHOOSE to do just about anything to make your home visit-able for your friends and family.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:08 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,374,893 times
I wonder if they'll also require the $10K ADA mechanisms to lower people into pools. Just saw a couple of these for the first time down in Rockport.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:20 PM

157 posts, read 266,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
So first: 20% margins are quite typical for production builders. No idea where you are getti g your information.

Second. I said "if the costs are 2000..." As in IF the cost to the builder is 2000 THEN the cost to buyer would be about 2400 based on 20% gross margins. IF the cost to the builder is 10K THEN the cost to buyer would be about 12k.

So down people. Read.
Well we're not in disagreement, but quite frankly, WHO CARES how much it would cost? This is a private property issue - and something that shouldn't even be on the table for discussion, regardless of whether it costs a penny or a million dollars. It says something about the mindset of someone who believes it is even within the context of their authority to enact and enforce such measures on a private residence.

Is it just me, or do people seem to be developing an increasing dis-regard for the sanctity of private property? We wonder why the state bureaucrats keep meddling in Austin's local scene, but with stuff like this, what do you expect?

Old 05-17-2013, 12:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
I wonder if they'll also require the $10K ADA mechanisms to lower people into pools. Just saw a couple of these for the first time down in Rockport.
Those are already required at all public pools, that was a recently implemented requirement of ADA but it applies to existing pools as well as new pools. That requirement also applies to HOA pools if they allow anyone from outside of the HOA to buy memberships to use the pool.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:26 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I'm not hostile to ADA for public places.

But I'm fairly certain that since we don't know each other your grandson is not likely to visit me. So you wouldn't require me to make accommodations for him. I'm also confident you would CHOOSE to do just about anything to make your home visit-able for your friends and family.
That is correct.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:30 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
Lever handles are actually much more difficult to baby proof than normal doorknobs, and much easier for small children to figure out. It's a safety risk for families with young children to have lever handles on a bathroom door.
My thoughts, exactly.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:24 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaday View Post
Voting under 10-1 doesn't go into effect until the November 2014 election. That's plenty of time for the current council to attempt to push these crazy ideas through.
That's exactly what I was going to say. I think they are going to try to push as much of this through as they can before then.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:30 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times
Perhaps if everyone could round up a few more people and take them to vote it might help.
Pertaining to the issue...it's difficult to understand how they are going to do this with private property. I smell a lawsuit brewing if they really push it.

It's already an option the article states. Why make it mandatory?

Old 05-17-2013, 09:45 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Pertaining to the issue...it's difficult to understand how they are going to do this with private property.
The same way they are able to limit the size of houses built on private property or prevent people from cutting trees down on their private property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin