Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 05:11 PM

4 posts, read 8,802 times

Advertisements

How about its neighborhood? not safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 07:47 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,052,300 times
i only know what Google tells me about Graham Elementary -- it appears that yes, it is really good!
Austin district should build on Graham Elementary's success | www.statesman.com

Exemplary school and 2012 National Blue Ribbon School.
Graham Elementary School Earns 2012 National Blue Riboon School Recognition | Austin ISD
It has a 9 out of 10 rating on Great Schools:
Graham Elementary School - Austin, Texas - TX - School overview

Most of the students are poor, I think something like 90%+ meet the "economically disadvantaged" description but it appears to have a rigorous, academic focus and the test scores to prove it.

NE Austin is not a uniformly safe area, there is crime there. Hard to predict if any individual in a particular place will be a crime victim, generally, there is little random violent crime in Austin. You can research crime rates in various areas of Austin to compare.

good luck!

Old 09-06-2013, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,230 times
Default Yeap, it's great

Hey there! This message is a few months old but I am always looking for a chance to share with the world that NE Austin is not as bad as many people assume. Especially the neighborhoods that feed into Graham. I would encourage you to look into Four Seasons, North Acres, and North Oaks if you are house hunting.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,147 times
I currently bought a house in North Acres for a reasonable price. It sits on a half acre and has a 1960s retro vibe and includes enormous oaks. We have met most of our surrounding neighbors and the President of our neighborhood association introduced herself the first week we arrived. She brought brownies the next week. So nice. This is also a diverse area which makes for yummy food. We love Lily's Sandwich Shop, Raul's Taco Truck (on the corner of Rundberg and I-35), yes, not the best area, but I'm seeing it changing--in a good way (people are not being pushed out because of high costs). It takes us 10 minutes to get downtown without traffic and twenty with traffic. Access is fabulous...Dessau, I-35, 183 are all incredibly easy to get to. Before purchasing in this area we were renters for two years. I personally never have had any issues with crime. It gets a little sketchy right on the corner of 35 and Rundberg, but I've never feared for my well-being. Just be mindful of your surroundings and happenings.

Yes, our neighborhood is not trendy, but we like it that way. Just down to earth folks harkening back to the "good ole days."

As a parent I want my daughter to be academically prepared. I plan on enrolling my daughter at Graham Elementary starting in Kindergarten. However, before I do I'm going to try and schedule a visit to see for myself. If you look at the school climate survey on AISD's website the teachers and staff are overall very positive and happy with the school. Happy staff +effective leadership=great learning outcomes and positive environment. Hopefully it stays that way especially with the rigor of STAAR.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:02 AM

12,895 posts, read 13,227,554 times
Interesting how the Rundberg/Braker Lane areas (east of I-35) have changed over the past 40+ years.

In 1971 we bought our first house on Kendal Drive in Windsor Hills - Rundberg had recently been paved. We were the 5th house to be built in that NPC developed neighborhood. Our back yard backed up to the narrow two lane Dessau Road.

In 1976 we bought a house on January Drive (fourth house north of Graham Elementary) in the Four Seasons neighborhood - it was the former model home which had been built in 1971. As soon as we moved in, AISD announced that our neighborhood children would be bused all the way down to Sanchez Elementary near Town Lake.

To heck with that - we just enrolled them in St. Louis Parochial school on Burnet Road, which was on my way to work. After that busing nonsense was sorted out, two of our sons did attend Graham in the late '70s & early '80s. All three graduated from Reagan by 1991 after attending Dobie Junior High.

Graham & Dobie were good schools then, but since we moved to Brushy Creek by Round Rock in 1995 we lost touch with the "old" 'hoods. I do understand that the Rundberg area around I-35 has become a haven for sleazebags, hookers, and drugs. Pretty sad.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:21 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,948,747 times
I went to Graham in the late 90s. Previously I went to another school in east Austin and had a little reputation for getting in trouble. I was transferred to Graham and started making honor roll and staying out of trouble. I'd say it worked wonders for me.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,776 times
Default What is safe?

We moved into Windsor Hills in 2008. And we love living here. There are still many of the original homeowners. Some newer younger families are moving in as they discover our great school, ease of commute, and reasonable prices. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, we are 10 min from just about everywhere. We have quick access to I35, 290, and 183. I have worked in the vicinity since 2001 and never even thought to look here because it was off of that notoriously bad street - Rundberg, but a drive through the neighborhood changed my mind. I assumed when we purchased that we would enroll our son in private school. He was 2 at the time. But at around that time, Graham got a new principal who turned things around. I kept an eye on the test scores and they kept repeating year after year. He is amazing. Our son in now in 2nd grade. Graham focuses on the fundamentals. Nothing fancy just hard work in math, reading and writing. In Kindergarten, our son had daily homework beginning the second week of class. It was a struggle at first, but by December of that first year he was writing his homework sentences on his own. One night at dinner during his kindergarten year he began to tell us about the patella, tibia, mandible , phalanges, etc. My mouth dropped and I wondered if I had accidentally enrolled him in medical school! Turns out they cover the major anatomical bones via sing-song during PE. I was astonished and very happy. Our son has done well. He reads above his grade level and is working on math beyond typical 2nd grade work. His teachers seem involved and caring. My husband and I are very pleased. We just wish we had more children his age on our street. My neighbors are mostly of retirement age.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:05 AM

12,895 posts, read 13,227,554 times
Now that's the kind of post that is fun to read. Am glad to see a good elementary experience like our kids had.
I hope it continues all the way through high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin