Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothpunk86 View Post
Thanks for the comments everybody. I say that I dislike heat, but I can still tolerate it. Iowa summers are very hot and humid, and last summer I worked in a blazing hot steel foundry during a record-breaking heat wave. If I can survive that I can surely survive Texas...

As for the critters question - I was more concerned with the danger factor than the creep factor. Scorpions aren't gonna kill me then?

Really? According to what I've seen Austin is arguably the best place for film right now.

Top 10 Cities to Be a Moviemaker: 2013 | Massachusetts Film Office

I've thought about Chicago, but it's too expensive, and the crime rates scare me. Ditto for LA and NY. I don't have an industry job lined up, but Austin seems like a good place to get a foot-hold, and the best compromise for my needs.
Scorpions won't kill you. They hurt when they sting, about like a wasp. They really shouldn't do that, because it really pisses us off and the scorpion ends up suffering a horrible death. At least when they sting me. But you need not worry about it.

I am not worried you can't handle the heat. It is just that you won't get the cold weather you like.

I can't help you with any info about the film industry.

Austin is a safe city in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 05:40 PM

10 posts, read 13,984 times
I grew up in the country around Austin and I don't recall a whole lot of snakes, so there probably aren't many in the city. We went back to visit a year ago and the bugs seem to have grown in size...tremendously. We went in May and there were giant beetles of some kind, one even got in the bed at night and it was scary. Then one got in the car and I'm glad I wasn't driving cuz I would have crashed. Also, the streets take much getting used to in Austin. They didn't plan them very well to begin with and they've only gotten worse with traffic and time. There's a lot of going around your elbow to get to your ******* there. The climate is very muggy; even in the shade there's no respite. There isn't really any changing of the leaves. They just turn brown and die. No snow, just lots of ice on the roads. Lots of crashes, I imagine, since everyone becomes a bad driver in the wintertime. In fact, my mom moved us to Utah about 9 years ago because she needed the seasons. We really get them here, but in Texas we never did. Also, they're in the midst of a Mega drought there...just thought that might be relevant in some way. Also we experienced quite a few tornadoes while we lived there. It's on the tail end of tornado alley, so there's always that to consider.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:44 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothpunk86;29653638

Really? According to what I've seen Austin is arguably the best place for film right now.

[url=http://www.mafilm.org/2013/03/06/top-10-cities-to-be-a-moviemaker-2013/
Top 10 Cities to Be a Moviemaker: 2013 | Massachusetts Film Office[/url]

I've thought about Chicago, but it's too expensive, and the crime rates scare me. Ditto for LA and NY. I don't have an industry job lined up, but Austin seems like a good place to get a foot-hold, and the best compromise for my needs.
That's a pretty thinly sourced piece and Austin, better than NY and LA for filmmakers?! Pah-leeze! yay, right. You can definitely make films here and the community is very friendly but can you make a living? That is a different question. And sure Robert Rodriguez MADE films here and Troublemaker Studios remains here but he now mainly films in LA. You can't just show up and start working with Terence Malik!

From what I'm reading in that piece, Seattle sounds almost as good as Austin (maybe better since they give solid stats on employment and not just "Austin mystique") AND you can wear flannel all you like and soak up the cloudy gray weather!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:49 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
We have a producer friend who worked for the state film commission (here in Austin) up until last year; they laid off staff because they didn't have as much work as they had in the past. Interestingly enough, she moved to Seattle for her next job.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:00 PM

Yup. 10 years ago there were enough people for 3 full movie crews and I knew dozens of them: Union set dressers, set designers, chief greens, cameramen, grips, carpenters. Today, none of them are still in Austin. Two still work in the industry and have a house in Austin but work mainly in New Mexico and Louisiana. One went to NM and just returned last year -- decades of experiences -- and is working. Set dresser friend went to Europe, set designer back to LA. Carpenter back to LA, after stints in NM and LA.

You can move here and make a film, no problem, especially if you bring your own financing. But union crew jobs are incredibly scarce as is any job in filmmaking that pays a living wage.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:04 PM

19 posts, read 38,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
That's a pretty thinly sourced piece and Austin, better than NY and LA for filmmakers?! Pah-leeze! yay, right. You can definitely make films here and the community is very friendly but can you make a living? That is a different question. And sure Robert Rodriguez MADE films here and Troublemaker Studios remains here but he now mainly films in LA. You can't just show up and start working with Terence Malik!

From what I'm reading in that piece, Seattle sounds almost as good as Austin (maybe better since they give solid stats on employment and not just "Austin mystique") AND you can wear flannel all you like and soak up the cloudy gray weather!
Obviously LA and NY are bigger and older industry hotspots, but you've gotta consider things like expense and bureaucracy too. Plus, I'm more interested in the independent/alternative scene. I don't really care about Hollywood or Robert Rodriguez...

I really do appreciate your input though. I haven't completely settled on Austin, and I have been thinking about Seattle/Portland too...

Would you say it's pretty hard to network in Austin?

Old 05-20-2013, 06:10 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Quote:
Yup. 10 years ago there were enough people for 3 full movie crews and I knew dozens of them: Union set dressers, set designers, chief greens, cameramen, grips, carpenters. Today, none of them are still in Austin. Two still work in the industry and have a house in Austin but work mainly in New Mexico and Louisiana. One went to NM and just returned last year -- decades of experiences -- and is working. Set dresser friend went to Europe, set designer back to LA. Carpenter back to LA, after stints in NM and LA.

You can move here and make a film, no problem, especially if you bring your own financing. But union crew jobs are incredibly scarce as is any job in filmmaking that pays a living wage.
Interesting, this is exactly what she said too. Fascinating how a decade or even five years can make a difference.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:14 PM

19 posts, read 38,428 times
Quote:

Good to know, I didn't realize it was in such a decline. ....For what it's worth, I'm not that interested in making a "living wage" with filmmaking right now. I just want to acquire more experience and contacts. I've got a degree, but not a lot of experience outside of no-budget filmmaking.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:28 PM

198 posts, read 397,583 times
Quote:
Good to know, I didn't realize it was in such a decline. ....For what it's worth, I'm not that interested in making a "living wage" with filmmaking right now. I just want to acquire more experience and contacts. I've got a degree, but not a lot of experience outside of no-budget filmmaking.
If you don't plan to make a living wage in film, where will you work in? Do you have professional experience in another industry? If not, moving to Austin just to dabble in film on the weekends doesn't sound promising.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Well, UT-Austin just graduated dozens of people with brand new degrees in RTF (radio, television, film) and they are also looking for experience and contacts. They will have a built in network of UT grads and whatever network they built up while in school (with AFS, SxSW, ad agencies, whatever). Austin is a pretty easy place to network once you have an in, once you have that first connection with someone but if you don't have that first connection . . . it can be tough.

Austin is filled with people with new degrees and just like new accountants are helped by having a degree from UT, so are filmmakers. Now, there is the same thing out in LA with USC but the creative community is just so much larger out there. There is even a bit of a midwestern mafia you might fall into out in LA. Southern CA is FULL of people from Iowa! I say, go BIG! Go to LA! That is where the industry truly is and where most of the jobs, networks, and contacts are AND it is your best bet when it comes to vaguely film-related jobs (office jobs at studios, at agencies, as an extra) providing the contacts and experience to move up quickly.

Austin is where LA-established film people move to in order to raise a family! Those LA connections will last a long time and will help you someday later in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: