Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:32 PM

625 posts, read 1,129,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve78757 View Post
Families moving out, DINKs moving in.
SINKs too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 07:43 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,352,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair44 View Post
http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/research/files/papers/2011/8/04%20immigration%20suro%20wilson%20singer/0804_immigration_suro_wilson_singer.pdf
I don't judge by such superficial things as newer cars and newer houses. That would be silly, come on now. When we moved into our home, we owned a '93 crown Victoria. I based what I said on figures that I noted in the Census. The suburbs overall have a relatively low poverty rate. The people on SNAP and any other assistance program is below 10%. The average h/h income for most of the suburbs is over 65k. These aren't pie in the sky numbers that I'm making up. If you want to also use anecdotal evidence to corroborate my assertion that the suburbs aren't as poverty stricken as these articles seem, all one needs to do is note the frenzied suburban development. In my area for example, we have an inordinate number of banks, all manner of retail services, all manner of amenities...they don't build these things in areas that are on the downturn. There wouldn't be nearly as many things available. This is not to say that there aren't poor people in the suburbs..of course there are. But a lot of the flight from Austin wasn't mostly poor people, but mostly middle classed people, dual earners who wanted good schools and more affordable homes. I will say this, if your income is low, you'd probably live better in a suburb.

And another thing, I'm not comparing the suburbs with Austin.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,796,467 times
Quote:
Families moving out, DINKs moving in.
That makes a lot of sense.

I think there might be some additional things like smaller families replacing larger ones, roommates being replaced by one person, second homes, etc. Generally the higher the income, the lower the number of folks per housing unit / sq ft. So with the increase in housing cost, you get less people but they use up more housing units.

On the map CptnRn posted, orange areas include some of the hottest housing markets in the city; people are fighting to find a place to live, rents are skyrocketing, and some infill is adding units which will be absorbed quickly. Yet with the population decline, you'd think the opposite would be happening.

It's so ironic that now the high income earners want to live in smaller units in-town, where they can get on a bus or walk to work/other destinations. Yet lower income people probably love the idea of a yard and garage, not sharing walls, and not having to ride public transportation everywhere. The ol' switcheroo.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:58 PM

[quote=atxcio;29686784]That makes a lot of sense.

I think there might be some additional things like smaller families replacing larger ones, roommates being replaced by one person, second homes, etc. Generally the higher the income, the lower the number of folks per housing unit / sq ft. So with the increase in housing cost, you get less people but they use up more housing units.

On the map CptnRn posted, orange areas include some of the hottest housing markets in the city; people are fighting to find a place to live, rents are skyrocketing, and some infill is adding units which will be absorbed quickly. Yet with the population decline, you'd think the opposite would be happening.

It's so ironic that now the high income earners want to live in smaller units in-town, where they can get on a bus or walk to work/other destinations. Yet lower income people probably love the idea of a yard and garage, not sharing walls, and not having to ride public transportation everywhere. The ol' switcheroo.[/quote]

I love the idea of a yard and a garage and not sharing walls. Regardless of how much I make. There's no way I'd ever give up a home with a yard to live in an apartment building. Income really doesn't have anything to do with that, IMO.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:24 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,796,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I love the idea of a yard and a garage and not sharing walls. Regardless of how much I make. There's no way I'd ever give up a home with a yard to live in an apartment building. Income really doesn't have anything to do with that, IMO.
You are right. It's probably more accurate to say it's a case of the "grass is greener on the other side". People who live in the city might dream of having more space and a yard, regardless of income. And people in the suburbs might dream of living in a walkable inner city neighborhood without house/yard maintenance. Some might be fine with the same thing that they already have.

Now I've accidentally stepped too far into the city/suburb debate, so I'll stop now! But bottom line you are right, my observation was an incorrect generalization.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:35 PM

251 posts, read 396,219 times
Quote:
That's just you. There's still an overall trend of increased suburban poverty that is fairly pronounced and relatively high compared to urban areas. And as far as Austin is concerned, the trend is skyrocketing property values in town.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:37 PM

625 posts, read 1,129,244 times
Quote:
I don't judge by such superficial things as newer cars and newer houses. That would be silly, come on now. When we moved into our home, we owned a '93 crown Victoria. I based what I said on figures that I noted in the Census. The suburbs overall have a relatively low poverty rate. The people on SNAP and any other assistance program is below 10%. The average h/h income for most of the suburbs is over 65k. These aren't pie in the sky numbers that I'm making up. If you want to also use anecdotal evidence to corroborate my assertion that the suburbs aren't as poverty stricken as these articles seem, all one needs to do is note the frenzied suburban development. In my area for example, we have an inordinate number of banks, all manner of retail services, all manner of amenities...they don't build these things in areas that are on the downturn. There wouldn't be nearly as many things available. This is not to say that there aren't poor people in the suburbs..of course there are. But a lot of the flight from Austin wasn't mostly poor people, but mostly middle classed people, dual earners who wanted good schools and more affordable homes. I will say this, if your income is low, you'd probably live better in a suburb.

And another thing, I'm not comparing the suburbs with Austin.
No need to get defensive. I'm just saying lots of people (not you) are quick to judge status on appearances. And that this study was based on the Census. That's all.

BTW, I wouldn't judge you on the Crown Vic lol. *smh* See what I mean? Case in point.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
You are right. It's probably more accurate to say it's a case of the "grass is greener on the other side". People who live in the city might dream of having more space and a yard, regardless of income. And people in the suburbs might dream of living in a walkable inner city neighborhood without house/yard maintenance. Some might be fine with the same thing that they already have.

Now I've accidentally stepped too far into the city/suburb debate, so I'll stop now! But bottom line you are right, my observation was an incorrect generalization.

No, no, no axcio...I don't want to wade into that debate either! Sorry, I didn't mean my post to sound that way. Actually what you said right now sums me (and many other former city dwellers) up perfectly. In NYC, there was just no way I'd ever have a home with a real yard. It was just too expensive!

Old 05-22-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
That's just you. There's still an overall trend of increased suburban poverty that is fairly pronounced and relatively high compared to urban areas. And as far as Austin is concerned, the trend is skyrocketing property values in town.
Compared to some urban areas. And I really don't think it is just me.

It's only natural that there is an increase in lower income people in the suburbs since after all, they've experienced exponential growth in a short amount of time. But the majority of new people in suburban cities are regular working families such as myself. The suburbs aren't some sort of catch all for all of Austin's poor. There are still many places in Austin proper that lower income people can (and still do) reside.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 PM

251 posts, read 396,219 times
Quote:
It's only natural that there is an increase in lower income people in the suburbs since after all, they've experienced exponential growth in a short amount of time.
I'm pretty sure the increase in the suburban poverty rate is greater than the overall rate of population growth there. That's what is being pointed out. This trend, relative to urban areas, is a fairly new thing, I believe. Pre-2000 I don't think this was happening. Why now?

Quote:
The suburbs aren't some sort of catch all for all of Austin's poor.
Who said that? Did anyone here say that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin