U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-03-2007, 05:55 PM

487 posts, read 798,596 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move to Austin from CA and are interested in a couple of houses in Stablewood at Slaughter Creeks (Pedigree Drive - 78748). Does anyone have any opinions on that area? How easy is it to get downtown during rush hour? Does it feel a bit isolated in that area or are you pretty close to things? From walking through a few, it seems like the houses are really well-built - is that true? What is the HOA like? Is it in a flood area? We don't have kids, but tend to like neighborhoods that seem kid-friendly and active, but we didn't see a lot when we were there; anyone know about the make-up of that neighborhood? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but we don't really know anyone in Austin yet, so any information at all would be a real big help. Thanks a lot!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 9,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmmm View Post
We're looking to move to Austin from CA and are interested in a couple of houses in Stablewood at Slaughter Creeks (Pedigree Drive - 78748). Does anyone have any opinions on that area? How easy is it to get downtown during rush hour? Does it feel a bit isolated in that area or are you pretty close to things? From walking through a few, it seems like the houses are really well-built - is that true? What is the HOA like? Is it in a flood area? We don't have kids, but tend to like neighborhoods that seem kid-friendly and active, but we didn't see a lot when we were there; anyone know about the make-up of that neighborhood? I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but we don't really know anyone in Austin yet, so any information at all would be a real big help. Thanks a lot!
Not sure if you've moved yet, but here's some more info. There's a large shopping center still being built within 10 minutes of our neighborhood (see Southpark Meadows ) which has a great kid friendly playground with live music on weekends in the summer. They're still adding to the development as I write this and as you move.

The neighborhood is pretty quiet, beyond the normal minor crime that pegs any neighborhood, some car windows busted, minor stuff. No rapes, murders or anything that intense. I think in the 3+ years I've lived there, there was one house broken into and that was in the 1st year (2003).

None of the houses are in a flood area that I know of, but there is a beautiful creek (Slaughter Creek) that backs up to the west and north side of the neighborhood that you can access if your house backs up to it, or through the water quality areas. The creek is fantastic!

My street is full of kids and they play outside regularly when it's warm, just been too cold lately. Most of the people I've seen are 25-45 range w/ or w/o kids.

Neighborhood is great. Easy access to shopping both at the center above and the outlet malls in San Marcos (25 minutes south on IH35), plus an easy commute to downtown, even in rush hour you should get there in less than 45 min. I work north of downtown and get there in 35 min. It's a really nice place with a great look.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:18 PM

487 posts, read 798,596 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks a lot for all the great info, dellhome123. We have bought and my wife has moved in. I'll be there in 2 weeks. Spent Christmas week there and just loved it. We do back up to the creek (we're on Thoroughbred) and the neighbors have said how great it is when it's full and going along. Can't wait!

We've also been to the shopping center, at least I think it was that one. I was not always sure of where I was when I was there. It had a K- (or maybe a Wal-)Mart, Borders, and movie theater, and lots of building was still going on. It felt like it was just around the corner from us - really convenient.

We also made a delicious trip to the Salt Lick, and we'll definitely be going back again very often.

I'm glad to hear the neighborhood is safe and friendly. It sounds like just what we were hoping for. I'm really looking forward to getting there and getting acclimated.

Thanks again!

Old 01-02-2008, 05:03 PM

3 posts, read 9,817 times
Make a run by the Texican on Manchaca for some good mexican food. Get the mexican martini (the pricey one, not the house one) and have a great drink to enjoy as well.

Welcome.

The creek is great, I've caught bass and catfish so far, just watch out for the snakes. Plenty of deer in the woods behind the houses as well, plus some coyotes I've heard.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:19 PM

1,184 posts, read 2,504,418 times
Welcome to South Austin. In addition to the Texican, you should also try the Cherry Creek Catfish Company on Manchaca at Stassney.

For even better BBQ, Donn's at the Y in Oak Hill is where I get my fix. Its about 15 minutes West on Slaughter Lane.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:05 AM

112 posts, read 337,345 times
Welcome to South Austin!! I have to agree with both previous posts- The Texican is really good and Cherry Creek Catfish Company is yummy! There are also a bunch of other (and IMO better) BBQ joints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin