Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,816 times

Advertisements

Aldi has plans to cover all of Texas. I used to shop at Aldi in Copenhagen. It's a wonderful place--like having a small Costco in the nearby neighborhood. They have split their plans in Texas into two regions--northern/northwestern and southern/western. They started in the north (Dallas area) probably because they were already in Arkansas and moving that direction would make it closer to their warehouses. They started their southern/western expansion in Houston just a year ago after having built out Dallas-Ft. Worth. Something I read somewhere made me think that San Antonio will be their next goal after they build out Houston. That should be followed by Austin. My guess is that San Antonio will come before Austin because of less competition there and the larger number of people there who prefer to shop for a discount. Here is a link to an Aldi map for Texas which shows their division of the state into two regions. ALDI US Locations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 09:18 PM

9 posts, read 17,596 times
I love Aldi. One thing I miss about Jersey. I had read they were planning on expanding in Texas. Their prices are amazing(my favorite was Greek yogurt for like 50c) and I think the experience is unique so they would certainly do well here. Another store I'm looking forward to is Trader Joes. All you Californians know what I'm talking about.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,876 times
Thumbs up Aldi's came to town

We went to Aldi's by recommendation of friends who raved about the awesome prices. We tried some of the food out with those friends while on a Sunday afternoon sail in Galveston Bay. I can see why our friends will provision at Aldi's for their maiden voyage. I was overall pleased and love their originality.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:09 AM

30 posts, read 55,963 times
Well, for a large, regular chain grocery store, you can't beat HEB, when you consider the different varieties of food, prices, customer service, friendly employees, cleanliness of the stores, and their service to the communities they are in. Kroger's, Safeway, Randall's, Albertson's, Winn Dixie, A&P, Wal-Mart, Target, Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly, they don't even come close to topping HEB.

The Randalls on Wm Cannon at Mopac, the only time they seem to be even "some what" busy is when HEB on Wm Cannion at Brodie is closed, or they are getting overflow from same super busy jam packed HEB. The most registers at that particular Randall's I've seen running at the same time, is 4, and one of those lines was express. I don't think I've ever been in an HEB when they were running less than 4 registers, unless it was real early in the morning, like 6am.

The only stores in Austin that come close to competing with HEB is their own Central Market and Whole Foods, but both of them are a different kind of grocery store than HEB. I have noticed HEB is getting more organic and natural foods, in answer to CM and WF, I suppose.

Isn't Aldi's part of Albertson's?

Last edited by Too Old To Care; 11-19-2013 at 04:19 AM..

Old 11-19-2013, 08:09 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Old To Care View Post
Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi

Albertson's is owned by Cerberus Mgmt.

Don't believe there is a connection between Aldi and Albertson's(unless you know something we don't )

Old 11-19-2013, 12:15 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,274,821 times
Default Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Well, Aldi also operates Trader Joe's, and there are three TJ's coming to Austin soon.
Well, I was half right... about the TJ's opening in Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Old To Care View Post
Nope. Albertson's is all-American, based in Boise, Idaho. ALDI is two operations, owned by different menbers of a German family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Trader Joe's is owned by Aldi
Yes and no. As it turns out, there are actually two Aldi companies... one owns TJ's, one owns Aldi markets in the US.

Reading through the company's history, it's a little like the Smitty's/Kreuz Market/Schmidt Family BBQ saga...

ALDI was originally a big family owned supermarket chain in Europe, based in Germany, owned by the Albrecht family. The ALDI name was devised from ALbrecht DIscount. In 1960 there was a dispute between the Albrecht brothers over whether to sell cigarettes, and they split the company into two independent operating groups... Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud (i.e., Aldi North & South)... with separate geographical territories. The brother who took Aldi Sud became the richest man in Germany, and the brothers who took Nord followed close behind.

Trader Joe's started in Monrovia, CA in 1958, and was purchased by Theo Albrecht of Aldi Nord in 1979. Aldi Sud became active in the US when it opened its first store in 1976.

So they're blood relatives, but completely independent businesses.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:53 PM

161 posts, read 487,900 times
I sure hope Aldi comes to the San Antonio area soon. Their prices helped me stretch the budget when I used to shop there back in Rochester, NY.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:02 AM

249 posts, read 489,940 times
HEB is pretty good, but Wegmans > HEB.

Central Market > Wegmans by a little bit, but for the prices they charge they darned well should be!

Old 12-28-2013, 09:45 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,240,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
HEB is pretty good, but Wegmans > HEB.

Central Market > Wegmans by a little bit, but for the prices they charge they darned well should be!
Depends upon the HEB. The Westlake and Circle C HEBs are a different breed of cat, and located in areas closer demographically to the Wegmans I've shopped in Springfield and Fairfax, VA. To my view, those four are pretty interchangeable except in the hot foods offerings. There, Wegmans is clearly ahead. Everything else, about the same. Not that important an item to me, as I go to a grocery store to get food for ME to prepare.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:54 PM

63 posts, read 212,740 times
I've heard that Aldi bought or leased a piece of land in Pflugerville off 685, so I would expect them to eventually build there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin