Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:07 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Glad you like it...I do too!...I overheard someone complaining about all the burnt orange at the grocery store. "In ---, where I'm from, we just don't root for college teams like this! " This is Austin....love it or, well, you get it....
Heehee. I don't get into football at all (I only ever saw one game in my whole life and not by choice) but there's something great about the burnt orange thing. I kind of like that color, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 04:18 PM

242 posts, read 827,344 times
I have heard some much great feedback! I know of KB homes but can someone please inform me of some other home builders in the circle c, round rock, cedar park area...thanks!

Old 11-25-2007, 04:44 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,574 times
I know Streetman is building in Circle C. Also Newmark, I think, but I'm not sure exactly where in Circle C, I just see the model home sign.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:01 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Default Any Southern Californians Move To Texas???

This thread has been interesting for me. Even though I'm moving from Hawaii, I was born and grew up in LA. I'm looking forward to my move, I believe any relocation must be faced with a positive attitude. It will be four of us, myself, my hubby, my youngest - 21-year old son and a 7-year old grandson. I'm positive I'll find a great Church and I'm looking forward to my new neighborhood in Cedar Park.

Mahalo, for all the good info, and views in this thread!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:17 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Do you like higher wages on average (california)
Wages may be higher in California, but they are not high enough to make up for the increase in the cost of living.

Quote:
Are you forward thinking (liberal) Cali)
This is just plain insulting. If Californians were so forward-thinking, wouldn't California be a MUCH nicer place to live? Texas is the clear winner even in your biased match-up, even though we're presumably "backwards thinking".

Quote:
Are you a republican (Texas unless you live in Austin)
Total crock. Austin isn't nearly as liberal as people assume it is, and the counties all around Travis are pretty consistently red. Travis went blue in 2004, true...but it went red in 2000. Also, Dallas County and Harris County both are increasingly Democrat and it would not surprise me if all three counties flip...Travis to the GOP, and Dallas and Harris Counties to the Democrats. Clearly you don't know anything about Texas politics as a whole.

Quote:
Do you have to have good roads (California), Texas roads make no sense at all to most of us out of state folks.
California roads make no sense to me. Texas has the best roads I've ever seen, and I've driven all over the USA plus in four foreign countries. I haven't seen a system laid out more sensibly than ours.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer1234 View Post

I would just warn you that Austin might be a lot more "southern" orientated than you think. That's what threw me a bit when I moved from Chicago. Put it this way..once you get just a little out of the Austin metro, you are literally deep in the heart of Texas and the south. I had many situations when the northern accent just didn't register at stores and with locals. I'm not saying its BAD, just that better to go presuming you will encounter SOME cultural differences. Per Texas itself, it is quite antithetical to California politically, with the prisoner executions, gun rights, and all. You will not find the same emphasis on libraries and culture here, and will see lots of pick-up trucks.Austin is a little oasis in this state, but still contains more than people think of what I mentioned. The accent is a big issue for me. I've had situations when I could barely understand my hairstylist, for example. Austin is open-minded, but still predominantly southern, regardless of all the new folks that moved in last few years. Also, I find that many folks go through a honeymoon period first couple months, effusing over how friendly folks are. They unfortunately mistake manners with genuine openness. As far as taking the step of really getting to know people, they are as cautious as anybody. You will see much of it is superficial, much like what you see in California. I still think its a great place, but its Texas, and the South. Respect their ways, give yourself a chance to adapt best you can, and you may grow to greatly love Austin, but you will give up a bit of your old self, and become a bit of a Texan.
That's not such a bad thing!
That's so insulting. Austin...an oasis of what? Congested roads? Overpriced tract homes? Republicans in Democrat clothing? Bad shopping? High taxes?

Please enlighten me, since I'm just a dumb Texan who can't understand fancy northern accents...just what is Austin an oasis of? A lot of us up here in Dallas see it as a cesspool of intolerant out-of-state transplants with negative attitudes towards the rest of us.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:07 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Wages may be higher in California, but they are not high enough to make up for the increase in the cost of living.

This is just plain insulting. If Californians were so forward-thinking, wouldn't California be a MUCH nicer place to live? Texas is the clear winner even in your biased match-up, even though we're presumably "backwards thinking".

Total crock. Austin isn't nearly as liberal as people assume it is, and the counties all around Travis are pretty consistently red. Travis went blue in 2004, true...but it went red in 2000. Also, Dallas County and Harris County both are increasingly Democrat and it would not surprise me if all three counties flip...Travis to the GOP, and Dallas and Harris Counties to the Democrats. Clearly you don't know anything about Texas politics as a whole.

California roads make no sense to me. Texas has the best roads I've ever seen, and I've driven all over the USA plus in four foreign countries. I haven't seen a system laid out more sensibly than ours.
well I disagree with every point you make. I have lived in both states, I doubt that you have. Personally, I would take Washington State any day over either state, but I have recieved several Rep points on this post from Texans and several mailings of people who agree with me, who wrote in private so that they wouldnt get flamed. Once you said that Texas roads made the most sense to you, I just started laughing. Thanks for the great laugh to start out my day

Old 11-26-2007, 09:45 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
They probably wouldn't make sense to someone who hasn't driven them for a long time or grown up driving them. I found roads in Colorado confusing when I moved there and it took me a good year to figure them out. And why are prisoner executions and gun laws "Southern" in an insulting way? Do the Crime, do the time is a perfectly good motto. Gun Laws aren't all bad. I certainly wouldn't want guns only in the hands of the government and military...Bad Idea! California rules I can live without. There are way too many odd ones. I think they try to bend so far backwards to please everyone, they make everyone mad anyway.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
well I disagree with every point you make. I have lived in both states, I doubt that you have. Personally, I would take Washington State any day over either state, but I have recieved several Rep points on this post from Texans and several mailings of people who agree with me, who wrote in private so that they wouldnt get flamed. Once you said that Texas roads made the most sense to you, I just started laughing. Thanks for the great laugh to start out my day
I wouldn't live in California if you paid me. I've visited it enough times to know that it's a complete armpit. That's why the Californians are moving here en masse.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:28 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I wouldn't live in California if you paid me. I've visited it enough times to know that it's a complete armpit. That's why the Californians are moving here en masse.
I'm not from the West coast but California's a pretty big state. To paint it with a coarse, broad brush seems a little curious and maybe even a little spiteful. I know you love Dallas and Texas in general but c'mon, California has some very spectacular places. That's why people like it so much. If the only criterion for living somewhere was affordability, everybody would be moving to Buffalo, NY. But guess what? They're not.

You probably don't like it when people refer to Texas as an armpit, which they often do. Of course you're entitled to your opinion (that's what this place is for) but I'm just not sure that kind of rhetoric is very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin