Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 12:05 PM

16 posts, read 42,048 times

Advertisements

Hi, thanks for taking the time. I'm in the market or a rental house in South Austin to split the difference for me (job at UT) and my fiance (Grad School Tx St). We have one on the hook that looks to fit the our sweet spot (size, price, condition) in Nuckols Crossing near William Canon, but the price was lower than expected so I decided to a spotcrime check to see why. There's almost nothing coming but Assaults in the area, not really theft or vandalism, which confuses me. Usually when assaults are high the rest of the crime is high.

Does anyone have experience with living in that area? Thanks again!

PS: heres a link to the spotcrime map: http://spotcrime.com/#30.178952%2C%20-97.75452

Last edited by RCRanger03; 06-13-2013 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,094,093 times
I would suspect that folks in that area generally under-report theft and vandalism! Lots of people in the area would not want to draw a police presence unless necessary.

I'm in that neighborhood regularly, it varies block by block. Some blocks are decent, most are ok, but there are some tough spots too. I'm reasonably street smart and no one ever finds me a threat but I would NOT want to be in that area after dark. (I'd take almost any area in central East Austin, Montopolis, E. Riverside etc as a place to walk after dark over some of the streets in that area.)

Now, maybe your house is on a nice block and reasonably isolated from the most troublesome spots but I'd be very very wary.

Edited to add: the best spot in that area is the section north of Teri and east of Nuckols Crossing, and really anything to the east of NC is newer and nicer SF. South of Terri and north of Stassney is almost all duplexes and varies widely, single-family is almost always better, south of Stassney is much tougher! Lots of hard-working folks in that area . . . but the bad apples are there too.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:31 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
That area is not as bad as Dove Springs, directly north of it, it is sort of a transition zone between Dove Springs and Onion Creek. Onion Creek is a very good neighborhood.

Trulia Crime heat maps shows that crime is fairly high there for a residential neighborhood. Crime Map Beta - Trulia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin