Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 11:06 AM

87 posts, read 422,078 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of buying a home on Lake Travis. Which towns around Lake Travis have the best public schools? Also, are we at a high risk of having our home flooded?

Also, is Lake Travis the nicest lake in the Ausin area?

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 11:26 AM

40 posts, read 241,418 times
Default travis/floods

as a lake travis dweller, i can tell you the lake is truly beautiful. having said that, some travis properties are indeed in the flood plain. others are not. you just need to be diligent in your search to see if the property is/isn't in the flood plain. the flood plain is considered to be at the elevation of 718 or lower at present. but in the works is moving it to a number around 720-722 (fema). so some properties you might buy today which would officially be out of the flood plain, will be moved into the flood plain when the level is changed.
lago vista is not a district for anyone's children. now other parts of travis are in the leander school district which is outstanding. some in lake travis school district which is good enough. some i guess in marble falls, which probably isn't anything to be wishing for.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:12 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Travis is THE major flood control lake on the Colorado river, so the levels will fluctuate greatly over the course of a year - from flood stage down to 30 or more feet below 'full' level. Some people do not like this (it is a lot of work to keep your dock in the water). The lake has some great shoreline and the water is relatively clear (for a Texas lake), but it is one of the higher trafficked ones, as well. Buchannan and LBJ are really nice lakes, but they are much more out of the way.

Lago Veteran is correct about flood levels. In certain areas, the lake will actually be higher than 'full', mainly due to hydrolic head that is related to the rivers feeding into the lake. You will want to spend a little effort researching any house that is anywhere near the 718' level.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:26 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I personally think every lake in the highland chain is the best one in it's own way. Travis is the most popular and heavier trafficked. Buchanan has the pretty waterfall and good fishing lake and I think, the best to boat on during the holidays. LBJ, Inks, and Canyon I haven't been to yet. My neighbor goes to Canyon Lake and says it's prettier than travis (just a matter of opinion, I guess). Plus, real estate on those other lakes isn't nearly as high as it is on Travis, But it also isn't as McMansion.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:15 AM

2 posts, read 7,328 times
Default Seek Info on Kingfisher, Ridge Cv area

Quote:
Originally Posted by lago veteran View Post
as a lake travis dweller, i can tell you the lake is truly beautiful. having said that, some travis properties are indeed in the flood plain. others are not. you just need to be diligent in your search to see if the property is/isn't in the flood plain. the flood plain is considered to be at the elevation of 718 or lower at present. but in the works is moving it to a number around 720-722 (fema). so some properties you might buy today which would officially be out of the flood plain, will be moved into the flood plain when the level is changed.
lago vista is not a district for anyone's children. now other parts of travis are in the leander school district which is outstanding. some in lake travis school district which is good enough. some i guess in marble falls, which probably isn't anything to be wishing for.
---------------------------
I'm new to the form and looking for information on Travis Lake, Kingfisher, Ridge, CV area. Do you know if this area is in the flood zone? I have viewed the lake only from the Internet but it is truly beautiful.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

DR

Old 03-19-2011, 12:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellaRose View Post
---------------------------
I'm new to the form and looking for information on Travis Lake, Kingfisher, Ridge, CV area. Do you know if this area is in the flood zone? I have viewed the lake only from the Internet but it is truly beautiful.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

DR
Kingfisher Ridge Cove, is up on a hill above the lake, no danger of flooding there. The cove below used to be one of my favorite places to anchor my sailboat overnight, it is deep and always has some navigable water in it even when the lake gets really low. It is a pretty area with good breezes making it nicer during the heat. But it is a long drive to get to anything. I often thought it would be nice to have a house over there, with a small power boat. If you rented a slip across the lake and kept a car over there you could motor across to drive into Lakeway or Austin whenever you needed to go to town.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 7,328 times
Smile Thank you CptnRn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Kingfisher Ridge Cove, is up on a hill above the lake, no danger of flooding there. The cove below used to be one of my favorite places to anchor my sailboat overnight, it is deep and always has some navigable water in it even when the lake gets really low. It is a pretty area with good breezes making it nicer during the heat. But it is a long drive to get to anything. I often thought it would be nice to have a house over there, with a small power boat. If you rented a slip across the lake and kept a car over there you could motor across to drive into Lakeway or Austin whenever you needed to go to town.

I am new and still learning the ropes to posting. Please pardon any goofs'.

You say it is a long drive to get anywhere. Mileage wise how many just in case I need to hire a taxi. I been shopping for a home on the ridge. It is beautiful but my concerns about flooding were high on the list. Thanks for taking time to address my query.

DR

Old 03-19-2011, 03:35 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
As best I can tell from Google Maps you will have to drive about 6 miles to Lago Vista to find groceries, drug store, restaurants and 19 miles to a medical center in Cedar Park. Nothing wrong with that if you don't need to go into a larger city very often. To drive to downtown Austin is a 39 mile trip.

Last edited by CptnRn; 03-19-2011 at 03:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin