Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:26 PM

43 posts, read 170,439 times

Advertisements

Are these rebates specific to folks in austin? Can residents of Round Rock get it installed and still qualify for rebates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:03 AM

593 posts, read 470,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catscradle View Post
We're getting estimates for these right now. So far we've contacted Circular Energy and Solar Community. With the tax rebates, seems like a very good deal.

Anybody have any experiences to share? Thanks.
Personally I don't like them. They cost a arm and a leg to purchasse, they make your house look
ultra-ugly, they are not as efficient and some people claim, PITA if you ever have to re-roof your house, and in blackout or energy crisis, you will still be on somebody's Solar grid to even use the things...so I'm not a fan. I think they are just a huge gimmick.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 PM

5 posts, read 12,622 times
Agree they look funny on a roof but the shading from the panels significantly reduces the heat load in the house and that is an extra benefit that they provide. I personally put an array in my backyard. It's helped reduce the bills significantly. Great addition and it's providing a return on my investment every month. Can't always say that for the stock market! Batwing I didn't put in the solar to save the earth or reduce global warming (what a joke that is). I'm just cheap and wanted to put my money into an alternative investment that would actually pay me back over time. So far it's working great.

Rebates are specific to the Austin Energy service area as far as I understand it. Now with the new "Value of Solar" payment program where the utility pays you 12.8 cents per generated kWh of production the panels pay for themselves about 30% faster than before.

As for installers - I used Lighthouse Solar. Great group of folks to deal with. Just make sure you get the house inspected with one of their approved folks. I used a third party and none of the inspection fees were subject to any refund. Using the approved path you can at least get some money back for any energy efficiency improvements done prior to the solar install. Solar screens, weatherstripping, etc...

Old 07-25-2013, 10:36 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I would certainly reroof the house before installing the solar panels, as they will have to be removed the next time you need a reroof. Even a so called "30-year" asphalt shingle roof only lasts about 15 years in our heat.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:24 PM
ITO

159 posts, read 373,999 times
I do not believe the Austin Energy Rebates apply in Round Rock, unless AE is your provider.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:46 PM

49 posts, read 101,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I would certainly reroof the house before installing the solar panels, as they will have to be removed the next time you need a reroof. Even a so called "30-year" asphalt shingle roof only lasts about 15 years in our heat.
If the roof is being replaced due to an insurance claim (e.g. hail damage) then the removing & re-attaching of the solar panels is a covered expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin