Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the worst traffic in Austin?
My part of town *please specify* 0 0%
Another part of town besides mine 5 29.41%
Everywhere is bad, and no place is worse than another 12 70.59%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 09:06 AM

217 posts, read 327,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlman View Post
Check out google maps traffic right now for Austin vs the other big cities in Texas...
One of these cities is not like the others

http://i.imgur.com/8tv4Chd.jpg

So the map confirms the poll. Traffic is bad everywhere, and not just on one highway in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
you never said where along I-35 you live.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlman View Post
Check out google maps traffic right now for Austin vs the other big cities in Texas...
One of these cities is not like the others

http://i.imgur.com/8tv4Chd.jpg
No kidding.

Texas' most "progressive" (allegedly) city of those four appears to be the most backward.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:13 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,209 times
From OP's title it sounds like he wants to find the worst traffic in Austin, and if I remember correctly that has been decided factually. I think a few intersections and places were considered to be some of the most congested in Texas, including 6th and Lamar, I-35 from the river to the end of the split decks, and Mopac from the bridge up north a bit.

However from the discussion, it seems OP is actually wanting to find people's opinions on traffic rather than the traffic itself. If that's the case, I think most people just feel like traffic is bad all over, but the very worst is on I-35. So unless you consider I-35 to be "my area" you wouldn't put that.

Not that I'm a civic engineer, but it seems crystal clear to me that Austin has two traffic problems underpinning everything. One is the problem the river causes and the limited number of places to cross it, and the other is that a three nation interstate highway cuts right through downtown such that the rush hour people who live here have to fight with the people just trying to get somewhere from Mexico to Canada.

We can't do much about the river since it's staying and bridges are extremely expensive for the limited capacity they add. The other problem is really, really simple. Build a new giant highway out of town that passes Austin and call that I-35.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:54 AM

215 posts, read 350,972 times
The poll question could have been phrased to include language regarding when traffic started getting really bad in a particular area.

15 years ago traffic was really bad at the Y in Oak Hill and I35 all through Austin during the normal commute travel hours.

Now you cannot escape traffic. It is terrible during the normal commute travel hours everywhere.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:32 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
No kidding.

Texas' most "progressive" (allegedly) city of those four appears to be the most backward.
Don't build it and they won't come has worked exceedingly well, huh?

What I see there is a reflection of Austin's incredible percentage of commute destinations downtown. I think I had seen we are like #4 in the US, but damned if I can find it. Couple that with restricted lanes in and out from the south due to river crossings, and from the north because of DBIATWC.

So we now have what we have, and it is nothing like what Dallas, Houston or SA have.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
the very worst is on I-35. So unless you consider I-35 to be "my area" you wouldn't put that.

We can't do much about the river since it's staying and bridges are extremely expensive for the limited capacity they add. The other problem is really, really simple. Build a new giant highway out of town that passes Austin and call that I-35.
According to the traffic map, I-35 isn't the worst - Mopac is, but people living off Mopac point fingers at I-35. It's the *finger pointing* that I'm trying to eliminate. Once you eliminate this, then you can get to the truth.

It doesn't matter what the topic is, if you ask anyone about where the bad stuff is in this town, you will always get a self-serving response i.e. * the other side of town is worse* and it gets in the way of the truth.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:00 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,323 times
MOPAC from 183 south to 71 is ridiculous, I no longer use it at all from 7am til 10am and from 4pm til 8pm.

IH35 from downtown heading south over the bridge between 2pm and 8pm, pathetic.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:08 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmonaut View Post
According to the traffic map, I-35 isn't the worst - Mopac is, but people living off Mopac point fingers at I-35. It's the *finger pointing* that I'm trying to eliminate. Once you eliminate this, then you can get to the truth.

It doesn't matter what the topic is, if you ask anyone about where the bad stuff is in this town, you will always get a self-serving response i.e. * the other side of town is worse* and it gets in the way of the truth.
How is that self serving to say traffic is worse elsewhere? I don't understand.

It's been my experience that people are most likely to complain about their own part of town's traffic.

Could it be that the traffic between the two highways is related? And that if we took all the interstate traffic off of I-35 running right downtown more Austinites could use the road to get around, and traffic would lessen on all the other roads including MOPAC? Could it be that our horrible I-35 situation is what causes MOPAC to be terrible?

Old 09-03-2013, 02:30 PM

163 posts, read 408,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
How is that self serving to say traffic is worse elsewhere? I don't understand.

It's been my experience that people are most likely to complain about their own part of town's traffic.

Could it be that the traffic between the two highways is related? And that if we took all the interstate traffic off of I-35 running right downtown more Austinites could use the road to get around, and traffic would lessen on all the other roads including MOPAC? Could it be that our horrible I-35 situation is what causes MOPAC to be terrible?
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! To paraphrase Yogi Berra, Nobody drives on 35 anymore... it's too crowded.

If 130 was free and 35 was the toll road life would be better... except for the several weekends a year when I need to drive up to the Dallas area or further on a Friday afternoon. Then I'd probably still be cursing the traffic on 35 because even if it was tolled, it would get alot of use because it's located right where people need to go.

Given that tolling infrastructure is much cheaper and compact than it used to be (no more booths, just RFID readers and digital cameras at the entrances), I wouldn't mind seeing I-35 proper being a sunken, limited access, tolled, multilane 80MPH highway running under a nontolled, 45MPH boulevard/superstreet with traffic lights but still limited crossings... maybe even multilane traffic circles but most idiots around here couldn't handle that. Kind of the inversion of the current upper deck and lower deck.

One project that's less expensive and could be effective is something you see in Dallas and Houston... a single (or dual) HOV lane in the middle of the highways outside of downtown proper that switches direction during the day to provide relief for the bulk of the commuter traffic.
NB Mopac in the afternoon runs great until you get past Enfield. Conversely SB runs great in the morning along that stretch. On Kauai the major highway doesn't have a median so they accomplish this feat by just moving a bunch of cones mid-day :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin