Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 04:57 PM
hts hts started this thread

762 posts, read 2,162,273 times

Advertisements

I've already searched the archives and reviewed all there is to review on this topic (most of it's dated). I'm currently out of state (AZ) but looking to relo to Dripping Springs later this year and trying to do as much remote research as possible.

Any current thoughts on Belterra vs Highpointe? We have 3 kids (9, 11, 12) so a nice community with lots of similarly-aged children and strong amenities is what we're after. I've looked for subdivisions in DS with larger lots (acre plus) and haven't found anything that we like yet, but if they exist and I'm not aware of them, please bring them to my attention also--thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 05:25 AM

737 posts, read 1,582,036 times
All I can remember from my house search was that highpointe was further out and I think their HOA was more expensive?

Old 07-13-2013, 06:19 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Our niece and nephew looked at most of the east DS communities. They bought in Belterra because only Belterra goes to Rooster Sorings Elem, right in Belterra. Walk/bike ride to school. All others go all the way into town to DS Elem.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:29 PM

33 posts, read 64,765 times
Belterra uses propane gas and thus utility bills are higher. Belterra has own elementary school in sub division. Both have great community pools and work out facilities. School district for both is excellent. Highpointe homes are a little cheaper price wise.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:31 PM

69 posts, read 142,206 times
I know that there are income-restrictive apartment buildings planned/to be built near Belterra, and some people were concerned that this would drive down property values. Not sure of the status or what the latest information is on this issue.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:34 PM

206 posts, read 298,854 times
Look across the street from Belterra and Highpointe. Sawyer Ranch Road divides the area. You get the new community, shared propane, hoa, etc developments/housing on one side while the other side of the road you get the larger 1+ acres lots with your own well/propane, horses, etc... The 1+ acres lots are for about the same price $350K+ as the houses in belterra or highpointe.

I could of bought a large 2500+sqft house with a small yard for $350K in belterra or highpointe, instead I looked across the street and found a 2500+sqft house with 2+ acres, pool, etc, for the same price...

Remember, if you have teenage kids, especially girls, and you want to keep a track of who their friends are and make sure they don't hang out with the wrong crowd, get a POOL. All their friends will want to come over so you can keep an eye on them, instead of them going somewhere else, even a community pool.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,101 times
We recently bought in Belterra and the main driving factor for us was the elementary school on site and the fact that Belterra is a bit further along in its development. I think the look and feel of the amenities are a bit nicer at Highpointe but you pay for it via a higher HOA. I think the taxes are slightly higher at Highpointe as well. Belterra has propane as someone else mentioned earlier vs. natural gas at Highpointe.

In the end we are happy with our choice at Belterra but I am sure we could have been happy at Highpointe as well. As I mentioned the main driver for us was proximity for elementary school. As your kids have mostly outgrown that age chances are they will be going to Dripping Springs Middle School no matter where you pick to buy/build. I would probably base my decision more on the builder you like and the floor plan you can get. One minor factor is Belterra will be about 3-5 minutes closer to town for most things.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:55 PM

17 posts, read 39,191 times
We'll be moving from Highpointe but absolutely loved it here and chose over Belterra for the lot, price, and the amenities.

BTW, the bonds just passed and they'll be breaking grounds for a new elementary & middle school right out of our gates.

You won't go wrong with either subdivision IMHO.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:30 PM

45 posts, read 56,998 times
Have you looked into Rim Rock or Sawyer Ranch? They are both smaller neighborhoods on 1-2 acre lots.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:59 PM

88 posts, read 106,265 times
I was going to suggest Rim Rock or Sawyer Ranch. Also Hidden Springs, The Preserve, Sunset Canyon. There are so many. Email me if you'd like more info. Lots depends on your commute. Your kids will be in Middle School and the school on site may not be an issue for long. You will love it here. Lots to do and very nice people!

Mica
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin