Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:40 PM

60 posts, read 79,762 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I am a 43 yr old single (divorced) woman with a 20 yr old daughter that is away at school. It is just too darn expensive here in So California and I want to get out. I am considering Austin and San Antonio, but am not really sure which would be better. I would like to be able to date a bit and have a social life, but not into going to bars all the time (did that when I was younger). I would love to be near good restaurants, walking/hiking trails, art galleries, etc. Ideally my rent would be less than $1000 per month for a 1 bedroom. (currently living in a tiny studio for $900) I would love to be in a small house if possible or at least yard space for my pup.

If you have lived in So CA or NoVA:
People from CA- I grew up in Costa Mesa/Newport Beach and currently live in Belmont Shore area of Long Beach.

VA people- I lived in Northern VA (Arlington) for a couple of years and loved it but it is also too expensive to consider going back. I lived off Lee Hwy close to the East Falls Church Metro and loved Alex. and the Shirlington areas.

Figured if I share what I am familiar with it may be helpful in providing ideas/differences in San Antonio and Austin.
Thanks for any help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 12:04 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
I live in Long Beach too, moved from Texas, lived in Austin awhile and family all around San Antonio. You'll be surprised how far your money goes in San Antonio, not so much in Austin. If you're used to an area like Belmont Shore, you actually will find similar prices for a similar place in Austin. There's always a housing crunch there however your money would get you something more spacious outside the central areas.

Most Californians go to Austin. I knew a ton of them when I lived there. Older areas of north San Antonio feel more like La Mirada/Buena Park, further out it feels like Fullerton/Brea with similar beautiful hilly neighborhoods and nice shops.

Austin feels like Long Beach minus the water and with a bigger college vibe. But it definitely has the funky eclectic areas.

Enjoy your move! It's a great area of the country and not as crazy conservative as Californians like to paint it.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:24 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
I used to live in Belmont Shore and loved it. But, if you're worried about stretching your dollars, San Antonio is going to be better for you than Austin. Either way, you're also pretty close to the Hill Country if you want to get out into nature.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:36 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,986 times
I am not sure why you must limit your options to Austin or San Antonio or even Texas for that matter. Texas is nearly 180 degrees from California and most Texans have never been to California. If you must come to Texas, please visit before making any decisions.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:50 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
I am not sure why you must limit your options to Austin or San Antonio or even Texas for that matter. Texas is nearly 180 degrees from California and most Texans have never been to California. If you must come to Texas, please visit before making any decisions.
Having grown up in southern CA I would agree this. Please visit first as they are incredibly different; make sure Texas is you cup of tea. Don't believe those who say Austin is CA without the ocean -- that's laughable.

And you don't mention a job as a concern, OP... do you work from home?

Old 07-14-2013, 08:37 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Having grown up in southern CA I would agree this. Please visit first as they are incredibly different; make sure Texas is you cup of tea. Don't believe those who say Austin is CA without the ocean -- that's laughable.

And you don't mention a job as a concern, OP... do you work from home?
San Antonio:

Drove around some electic areas of SA, yesterday morning:
Pearl Brewery-Awwsome
Southton -Awesome for Art and the Bohemian lifestyle
Art Deco Area-You will think you in old school Cali, the visual are so similar.
Monte Vista and Olmos Park=- Beverly Hills
Alamo Heights=-Brentwood area or St Monica
Fort Sam Houston area- Echo Park
St Paul Square area= Central Avenue- This area is where Joan Crawford was born and raised.

These are just a few areas that are inside the center city area of San Antonio.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:50 AM

147 posts, read 595,919 times
I find it comical that I never see anyone from Austin recommend Austin. It makes me think it's so great they don't want new people flocking in.

I'd probably do the same as an Austinite. I can't wait to visit in the near future. I hope it's "everything I'm dreaming of." I quote because the grass is always greener and Utopia does not exist and I understand this.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:05 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDaleHerring View Post
I find it comical that I never see anyone from Austin recommend Austin. It makes me think it's so great they don't want new people flocking in.

I'd probably do the same as an Austinite. I can't wait to visit in the near future. I hope it's "everything I'm dreaming of." I quote because the grass is always greener and Utopia does not exist and I understand this.
There are a ton of posts on this board recommending Austin -- it was recommended to me countless times prior to us moving here. That said, this thread isn't about that. Many Californians inquire about Austin when they are seeking a new place to call home (a ton more posts on here specifically about this); those whove spent a great deal of time in both areas point out differences and similarities that would be important to consider assuming you like CA a great deal, minus the COL.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:40 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Texas is nearly 180 degrees from California and most Texans have never been to California.
Funny. I don't know a single Texan who hasn't been to California.

I and my two kids have all lived in Cali as adults and now live back home in Texas. Daughter was born in and went to college there. Son-in-law is a fifth generation Huntington Beach native, now resident in DFW.

Texas is NOT 180 degrees from California. Vermont, maybe. California, no. The metropolitan areas and their suburbs are functionally identical to their peers, especially in Southern California. Car dependent, with some efforts at mass transit. Endless stretches of SFRs in planned communities. Big box retail clusters. Politicians in those metros are interchangeable. I've always felt that if you had a weirdness continuum, with Santa Cruz on one end, and Cut and Shoot on the other, you would find San Diego and Austin adjacent, right in the middle.

Yes. It is hot in Texas. But once you get five miles inland and away from the Pacific, Southern California is pretty hot as well. Palm Springs? El Centro? Bakersfield? Palmdale? All hot as hell - and all the time, not just summer. Just wait for a Santa Ana and tell me how cool it is - when most folks don't have a/c. Yes. We don't have mountains in the distance, and you can't enjoy a nearby beach with 500,000 of your closest friends packed in like sardines. C'est la vie. They don't have Barton Springs, Hamilton Pool, Blue Hole, or river tubing. We got first choice.

In many ways, Austin is also comparable to NoVa. Western Fairfax county is interchangeable with the suburbs here. Downtown is comparable to the Rosslyn-Shirlington-Ballston corridor. The areas adjacent to downtown, both n and s, have a same feel as a little more W Falls Church, especially along Lee Hwy.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:04 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
More opinions Austin vs San Antonio

You can compare the demographics, cost of living, etc. here:

http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Antonio-Texas.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

San Antonio has a lot to recommend it, I enjoy visiting there and it definitely it has a lower cost of living, lower rent and housing costs. The biggest difference I can think of between the two communities is that SA is 63% Hispanic and 27% White and while is Ausin is 48% white and 35% Hispanic. The Hispanic and Mexican culture is much more prevalent in San Antonio.

It is possible to find one bedroom apartments in the OP's price range in Austin, but she would have a better chance of finding a small house to rent at that cost in San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin