U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2013, 04:24 PM
 
31 posts, read 31,888 times
Reputation: 43

Advertisements

If zero population growth is good for the world, then why not Austin ?

 
Old 07-14-2013, 04:48 PM
 
3,836 posts, read 4,552,066 times
Reputation: 2534
The only way to stop people from moving to Austin is to make Austin a less Desiree place to be.

There are cities that lose population: we call such cities Detroit.
 
Old 07-14-2013, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Pensacola, FL
147 posts, read 537,620 times
Reputation: 112
I don't think it will be such a problem if the economy (on the whole) turns around. Unfortunately for natives, the metro feel and pretty decent COL will drive people in during this hard times. People want that big city feel and most these days are living on a budget... Austin is definitely one of the few happy mediums right now. Fortunately for you natives, though, is that many (uneducated) people perceive texans as 'westerners' and 'cowboys' and that's not a "culture" some people want to be around. I'm sure that sounds inane to most but I live in Florida and this is the response elicited by almost everyone I tell my future plans about regarding Austin.
 
Old 07-14-2013, 07:39 PM
 
31 posts, read 31,888 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
The only way to stop people from moving to Austin is to make Austin a less Desiree place to be.

There are cities that lose population: we call such cities Detroit.
So what your saying is Austin's growth is full speed ahead until the QOL deteriorates to the point that it stops. And it stops because Austin has become like Detroit. Wouldn't it be wise to curtail growth before it destroys the very QOL that spurred it on to begin with
 
Old 07-14-2013, 08:28 PM
 
3,836 posts, read 4,552,066 times
Reputation: 2534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle_Ax View Post
So what your saying is Austin's growth is full speed ahead until the QOL deteriorates to the point that it stops. And it stops because Austin has become like Detroit. Wouldn't it be wise to curtail growth before it destroys the very QOL that spurred it on to begin with
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. You must have gotten an A+ in logic.
 
Old 07-14-2013, 09:14 PM
 
1,430 posts, read 1,842,184 times
Reputation: 830
Your premise is false.
 
Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 PM
 
6,019 posts, read 10,964,246 times
Reputation: 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle_Ax View Post
If zero population growth is good for the world, then why not Austin ?
cities grow or die. Zero population growth isnt good for the world.
 
Old 07-15-2013, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
19,839 posts, read 36,338,327 times
Reputation: 21157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
cities grow or die. Zero population growth isnt good for the world.
Why? Zero population growth means not that no one ever reproduces again and the population goes to zero, but that the population remains the same number that are here now rather than growing exponentially until we cover the planet (or Mother Nature pulls out her peach switch and fixes that for us). So how is zero population growth not good for the world? The statement makes no sense as a standalone.
 
Old 07-15-2013, 05:46 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
19,839 posts, read 36,338,327 times
Reputation: 21157
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDaleHerring View Post
I don't think it will be such a problem if the economy (on the whole) turns around. Unfortunately for natives, the metro feel and pretty decent COL will drive people in during this hard times. People want that big city feel and most these days are living on a budget... Austin is definitely one of the few happy mediums right now. Fortunately for you natives, though, is that many (uneducated) people perceive texans as 'westerners' and 'cowboys' and that's not a "culture" some people want to be around. I'm sure that sounds inane to most but I live in Florida and this is the response elicited by almost everyone I tell my future plans about regarding Austin.
Ah, but you see, Austin didn't have the "metro feel" (and didn't want it, for the most part) until a raft of people who DID want it moved here for some reason and decided that Austin was such a good place that they'd turn it into something else that they prefer. And for the most part out of state companies that didn't have anything to lose and everything to gain by swooping in and building whatever they wanted regardless of its impact on the city's character were happy to oblige them.

There's some good things about the growth we've experienced, but "metro feel" is not one of them. The balance has been thrown way off and many of the things that made Austin the kind of place everyone wanted to move are being destroyed apace by the very people who moved here for them.
 
Old 07-15-2013, 06:43 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
12,084 posts, read 27,700,419 times
Reputation: 5748
I guess if you read the OP correctly, he means that no one should ever move to another city again, because it results in population growth there. Brilliant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:24 AM.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top