Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 11:11 AM

319 posts, read 610,037 times

Advertisements

I would like to take some CS courses to keep up to date. Does UT offer these courses to non-matriculated students? Do they have an extension school like Harvard, Stanford, etc or do people go elsewhere around here? I found the UT Extension school website but it doesn't seem to have these courses. Looks like they might offer online courses but I would like the interaction with other local students, preferably professionals if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 05:07 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
CS? Computer science?

I usually think of "continuing education" as being akin to "informal education" courses. UT Austin offers a number of the latter - don't know about the former if speaking of credit courses.

Have you looked at what Austin Community College has to offer. I took two semesters of computer credit courses that were taught by instructors every bit as qualified as those at UT Austin.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:08 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
I would like to take some CS courses to keep up to date. Does UT offer these courses to non-matriculated students? Do they have an extension school like Harvard, Stanford, etc or do people go elsewhere around here? I found the UT Extension school website but it doesn't seem to have these courses. Looks like they might offer online courses but I would like the interaction with other local students, preferably professionals if possible.
Couple of thoughts. ACC has many cert classes - all of the Cisco academy stuff, CISSP, Security+, all of the MS cert classes, etc.

But I deal with IT folks every day. I don't know what your long term goals are. If you ultimately want to move into management, had you ever thought about getting your Project Management Professional (PMP) qual? Several prep courses for that, including UT. Really a way to get your resume to stand out from the pile to get that first IT management job. Also fully recognize you may have no desire to go that route. Just a thought.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:52 AM

327 posts, read 774,235 times
Don't discount what is offered at community college. I have an MBA, but I'm looking at ACC for classes to go towards my PMP continuing education requirement for this cycle. I also went through the cisco CCNP Academy at a community college years back and when I did that I noticed that most everyone in the classes were professionals with undergrad degrees from respectable universities.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:04 PM

I guess I should clarify that I'm a software engineer so not really looking for certifications or CEUs. I'm a software engineer w/multiple graduate degrees just trying to keep those up to date I appreciate the feedback though. Sounds like ACC is my best bet. As long as they offer similar content then I suppose it will do.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:16 PM

Ok I checked ACC out but the course offering is very limited in the computer science dept. There's no course on distributed systems or machine learning there sadly. Does that mean that online is my only option then? I think UTSA allows non-matriculated course registration but that's quite a distance to travel for a class. I'm surprised that more options don't exist given the large number of technology workers here.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:05 AM

912 posts, read 1,285,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
Ok I checked ACC out but the course offering is very limited in the computer science dept. There's no course on distributed systems or machine learning there sadly. Does that mean that online is my only option then? I think UTSA allows non-matriculated course registration but that's quite a distance to travel for a class. I'm surprised that more options don't exist given the large number of technology workers here.
I know a lot of tech workers/engineers, and I haven't know a single one of them to ever take continuing education courses. They learn as they go at work, and then tinker on their own side projects at home if they want to learn something new that's not work related.

I have known some people to get involved in professional groups/meetups and such. That's a better way to meet people than any class. Truly though, you can meet more professionals here just by living your normal life and having some hobbies.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:35 AM

I'm actually mostly looking for my wife and that style of learning doesn't work for her.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:58 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Call the UT Department of Computer Science and ask! See what they say. If there is a formal program for professionals to take a class or two, they will know. If on-line is the only option they will know. You could also try emailing a professor directly who teaches a class you (or your wife) is interested in, you might be able to get permission to sit in on the class informally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: