Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 08:02 PM
ail ail started this thread

34 posts, read 78,783 times

Advertisements

Would appreciate recommendations for tennis classes and/or coaches for my 5 yr old. A class that is fun and teaches sportsmanship, and beginner tennis skills would be great. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 07:50 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,741,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ail View Post
Would appreciate recommendations for tennis classes and/or coaches for my 5 yr old. A class that is fun and teaches sportsmanship, and beginner tennis skills would be great. thanks!
What part of town are you in?

Has your little one (he or she) played any basketball (or soccer) yet?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:07 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,443,925 times
Why do I have this image of John McEnroe...?

"Sportsmanship!?!?!? On a TENNIS court??? You canNOT be serious!!!"

John Mcenroe goes ballistic at the umpire - YouTube

Sorry, showing my age

Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 AM

Haha-I remember those Johnny Mac days! My son has done soccer (soccer shots) and swimming. We live in Lakehills area, and so classes in Bee Caves, Westlake are all fine. On Saturdays we're downtown for another activity so that area may work too on weekends. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-15-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ail View Post
Haha-I remember those Johnny Mac days! My son has done soccer (soccer shots) and swimming. We live in Lakehills area, and so classes in Bee Caves, Westlake are all fine. On Saturdays we're downtown for another activity so that area may work too on weekends. Thanks in advance!
Good ol' Johnny Mac. (my wife was more offended by those shorty shorts than the language )

I would look at the CATA website: Junior Programs - Sometimes the USTA shoves money down to the "just learning" Juniors....some facility or club might offer some free or reduced drills because of this.

Might want to peruse the USTA website as well. (but you'll have to sift through lots of ads & stuff you could care less about)

I mentioned Basketball in particular because kids who learn proper defensive posture & footwork in BBALL immediately have the footwork & posture needed to play high quality tennis (evidently it translates perfectly). Before my kid first picked up a racquet for the first time at age 9, he played 2 seasons of Y basketball (i was a former bball player & defensive addict & stressed proper defense with all the kids). His first tennis drill coach was shocked that he hadn't played tennis before.

One high level USTA pro (maybe CoachRick can chime in on this) told me once it is much easier for a 5-8 y/o kid to get the footwork & lateral movement down for soccer & basketball (first)....and THEN add in the hand eye challenge of hitting a moving target with a racquet.

Given where you live, I would also call or stop by Lost Creek. Chad Loup used to run USTA Texas Junior Division, is a great young man & I think he's running some special camps for the new mini tennis initiative (quickstart?). He's the Tennis Director there. (In fact there's a Junior tournament there this weekend, I would stop by & meet him personally & have your kid watch some of the older kids. Click on "draws" to see when the various age groups are playing. Lost Creek Summer Junior Open (Jr): Home ).

Other places that might have free or low priced kiddo drills might include the Center at 24th & Lamar (can't remember the name), Pharr Center out by Mueller, South Austin Center & the god awful located center out east of town (Austin Tennis Center) on I believe Johnny Morris. The "build it & they will come" center with no parking, no spectating & was obviously put out there for political reasons. But they DO have a lot of mini courts out there (& USTA money), so maybe they have a program?

If your kid has an aptitude by age 8 or 9 & still enjoys the game, there are other places that might be a better fit (that can be expensive), like Mac360 at Courtyard, UT indoor at Steiner, Barton Creek, ATA or Circle C. But at age 5, who cares? All that matters is that he has fun, gets a fundamental or two down & gets the footwork down.

Enjoy the journey.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:21 PM

Here's the USTA "10 & Under" link:

Tennis for Kids - 10andundertennis.com

Old 08-16-2013, 10:17 PM

So much great info-thanks so very much. appreciate it, and look forward to having my boy learn such a fantastic sport!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin