Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 05:44 PM

32 posts, read 84,367 times

Advertisements

Hello. I need a little bit of help. My husband and I are seriously condisering a move to TX. We looked into the Dallas area awhile, but then gears switched and we found out that my sis will be going to college in Austin. I have heard some good things about the city and surrounding areas. We have two kids, two and seven months. We are Conservative Republicans from San Diego and are looking for a good town on the outskirts of Austin. My Husband is an electrician. I am a stay at home mom. What's good? Family-friendly? Will we make it on an electrician's income? A lot of tornados? Any info would help, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 06:19 PM

230 posts, read 544,739 times
Pflugerville and Round Rock would both fit your bill.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 18,570 times
Default I agree...

Pflugerville, Round Rock and also Cedar Park .... all nice areas - I am not sure what an electrician makes but there are houses in these areas for all income levels.

As for tornado's -- yes they occur but not as much as further north in Jarrell area. (I couldnt tell you how many each year but we have been in Pflugerville for 6 years and I cant recall any being reported during our time here.... Cedar Park had a bad one about 10 years back)

Good Luck with your decision.

Last edited by austinburbs; 11-13-2007 at 06:49 PM..

Old 11-13-2007, 08:16 PM

35 posts, read 114,254 times
Cedar Park, Round Rock, and South Austin- You can find family friendly areas in all these suburbs.
I would not worry about tornados. I have lived in the Austin area for over 28+ years and I have never been affected by one.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:10 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kye022984 View Post
Hello. I need a little bit of help. My husband and I are seriously condisering a move to TX. We looked into the Dallas area awhile, but then gears switched and we found out that my sis will be going to college in Austin. I have heard some good things about the city and surrounding areas. We have two kids, two and seven months. We are Conservative Republicans from San Diego and are looking for a good town on the outskirts of Austin. My Husband is an electrician. I am a stay at home mom. What's good? Family-friendly? Will we make it on an electrician's income? A lot of tornados? Any info would help, thanks.
If you are coming from California, I do not think Round Rock or Pflugerville will work for you as others have posted. Try SW Austin, specifically Circle C and Meridian. Less country flare as the north suburbs, close to downtown and full of conservative Republicans and California transplants. What's your price range?

Old 11-14-2007, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 18,570 times
I used to live in South West Austin -- I loved it...Moved due to work location.

llkltk is right about CountryFlare in pflugerville. There is still land with miles of me that is still used to grow hay, corn, etc....this is part of what I like about the area.... we are really close to the new Toll Roads so if needed we can get across town quick, but it still feels we are not in "the big city."

I dont think you could go wrong North or South -- my wife and I drove thru Circle C when we were thinking of moving and it was really nice!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:47 PM

4 posts, read 15,220 times
I'm not sure what your budget is, but Circle C starts in the $200s and goes way up from there. It's a beautiful neighborhood, though. I agree about the country flair in Pflugerville but I don't notice that about Round Rock and Cedar Park. You can find a nice family home under 2,000 square feet in a good neighborhood in Cedar Park or Round Rock around $150,000. The toll roads have made both of these areas extremely accessible.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:21 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa_Ladd View Post
I'm not sure what your budget is, but Circle C starts in the $200s and goes way up from there. It's a beautiful neighborhood, though. I agree about the country flair in Pflugerville but I don't notice that about Round Rock and Cedar Park. You can find a nice family home under 2,000 square feet in a good neighborhood in Cedar Park or Round Rock around $150,000. The toll roads have made both of these areas extremely accessible.
Circle C is from about 260K, new homes 300K and up. Meridian is about 280K and up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin