Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 08:38 PM

14 posts, read 17,769 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestion about Nashville... I'll look into it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 09:31 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,589,946 times
My cousin lives and owns a jewelry store in downtown Nashville. He moved there years ago from Dallas and loves it.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:37 AM

675 posts, read 1,897,572 times
I would recommend you rent south of the river, Barton Springs, Zilker, south Lamar (off Mary or Heather streets), or South Congress (near Manchaca.) I don't think you should give up and move to the suburbs, because as a single woman you might dislike it. You should move someplace you can still walk around/ bike around and have great restaurants, coffee shops, grocery shopping, dry cleaners, and other infrastructure. If you're living a little more south, your rent will go down and you'll be closer to the airport. I still think quality of life is important though. However- if you really want to cut your rent in HALF, then I would look at southwest Austin near the Alamo Drafthouse Slaughter. There are tons of great apartments are that area, and a lot of bikeable/ walkable stuff to do. Look near the Arbor Trails shopping Center, which has a great hike and bike trail as well as access to all the restaurants and stores you'd want. Circle C Metro Park has great biking trails. It's totally safe. The only issue is, it's not as 'cool' as downtown Austin. However, it's not as horrible as southeast Austin near the airport. There's no reason to do that- you might as well move to another cheaper city and live in an area downtown with amenities.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:48 AM

14 posts, read 17,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
I would recommend you rent south of the river, Barton Springs, Zilker, south Lamar (off Mary or Heather streets), or South Congress (near Manchaca.) I don't think you should give up and move to the suburbs, because as a single woman you might dislike it. You should move someplace you can still walk around/ bike around and have great restaurants, coffee shops, grocery shopping, dry cleaners, and other infrastructure. If you're living a little more south, your rent will go down and you'll be closer to the airport. I still think quality of life is important though. However- if you really want to cut your rent in HALF, then I would look at southwest Austin near the Alamo Drafthouse Slaughter. There are tons of great apartments are that area, and a lot of bikeable/ walkable stuff to do. Look near the Arbor Trails shopping Center, which has a great hike and bike trail as well as access to all the restaurants and stores you'd want. Circle C Metro Park has great biking trails. It's totally safe. The only issue is, it's not as 'cool' as downtown Austin. However, it's not as horrible as southeast Austin near the airport. There's no reason to do that- you might as well move to another cheaper city and live in an area downtown with amenities.
I really appreciate the suggestions. I totally agree that quality of life is important to me and as a single woman, I wouldn't want to move out to the boonies (for one, I don't have a car).

I've looked into apartments around South Congress and South Lamar and they are almost as expensive as those downtown. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places... Now that the weather is a little cooler, I'll ride my bike around the area to see if I can find something else (I'm sure there's something cheaper around because it seems all I can find online is new "luxury" complexes).

Old 09-27-2013, 03:00 AM

176 posts, read 354,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
You could look at the river north area of SA ( by The Pearl) or the Southtown area and find a studio/ 1 bedroom for 750-1k a month. Both areas you can walk or bike and take the riverwalk into the heart of downtown.

I don't know of any other cities that with your price point will get you a nice place in a downtown area.
I would chose Marbach/410 found a 2/1 bedroom in a newer apt complex 700 sq around $785 a month. Washer and Dryer connections plus ALARM. Close to 6 bus routes, HEB Plus, a new Walmart Neighborhood Market, and Mexican food market.

Area is getting better, and growing, Just put in a Chick Fil A, Churches Chicken and UPS store also coming. Banking CHASE bank, Security Service Federal Credit Union (2 locations), and Popeyes, Long John Silvers, Little Ceasers, Peter Piper pizza, Pancho's Mexican Buffet. Golden WOK, Jim's, Goodwill, Big Lots, Planet Fitness, DD's Discounts, KFC, Dollar Tree, Palles Federas (spelling?) ALL within WALKING DISTANCE!

Check out HORAL DRIVE.

Have kids? Walking distance to Glen E.S.

LLC, Soon to move to the 78227! 2014!
Via Super Cheap, friendly bus drivers,
has bike racks, and 2 buses to downtown SA (551 or 617, 612, 615) transfer at KEL-LAC to either the 76 W Commerce, or 64 Express Downtown. 64 can also take you to Sea World.

Express and indoor waiting area of transit center has free wi-fi!

Last edited by LongLiveCassettes; 09-27-2013 at 03:07 AM.. Reason: SA Via, Bike racks, forgot to mention Jim's.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:59 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,377,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveCassettes View Post
I would chose Marbach/410 found a 2/1 bedroom in a newer apt complex 700 sq around $785 a month. Washer and Dryer connections plus ALARM. Close to 6 bus routes, HEB Plus, a new Walmart Neighborhood Market, and Mexican food market.

Area is getting better, and growing, Just put in a Chick Fil A, Churches Chicken and UPS store also coming. Banking CHASE bank, Security Service Federal Credit Union (2 locations), and Popeyes, Long John Silvers, Little Ceasers, Peter Piper pizza, Pancho's Mexican Buffet. Golden WOK, Jim's, Goodwill, Big Lots, Planet Fitness, DD's Discounts, KFC, Dollar Tree, Palles Federas (spelling?) ALL within WALKING DISTANCE!

Check out HORAL DRIVE.

Have kids? Walking distance to Glen E.S.

LLC, Soon to move to the 78227! 2014!
Via Super Cheap, friendly bus drivers,
has bike racks, and 2 buses to downtown SA (551 or 617, 612, 615) transfer at KEL-LAC to either the 76 W Commerce, or 64 Express Downtown. 64 can also take you to Sea World.

Express and indoor waiting area of transit center has free wi-fi!
You obviously didn't read the OP's first post.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
You obviously didn't read the OP's first post.
Neither did the TXEX06 replying to them according to your logic. So what's your point?

Old 09-27-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbece View Post
I really appreciate the suggestions. I totally agree that quality of life is important to me and as a single woman, I wouldn't want to move out to the boonies (for one, I don't have a car).

I've looked into apartments around South Congress and South Lamar and they are almost as expensive as those downtown. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places... Now that the weather is a little cooler, I'll ride my bike around the area to see if I can find something else (I'm sure there's something cheaper around because it seems all I can find online is new "luxury" complexes).
That's what Austin is specializing in "luxury" complexes. Same goes for Stoneridge, and Capital Of Texas Highway, and Jollyville. Alliance bringing more luxury apartments and by the way Austin City leaders want you to vote again on "affordable housing" scam.

No car, and don't want to be out in the boonies, San Antonio is the place! Houston's great also.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:34 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,377,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveCassettes View Post
Neither did the TXEX06 replying to them according to your logic. So what's your point?
My point. Stay on topic, stay relevant, provide somewhat useful information.

You seem incapable of doing so in just about everything you've ever posted - aside from naming random civil employees to target with your unique brand of vitriol.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:57 AM

597 posts, read 1,310,997 times
Buying a car doesn't have to be incredibly expensive. Since it doesn't appear you care about that kinda stuff you could totally buy a cash car. Don't take home ownership off the table. I had the same concerns at your age but given the interest rates and how resilient Austin real estate has been I can't imagine you actually loosing money if you bought something. Also you could live in the burbs. Still possible to bike places and I'm sure the cab ride the airport would likely be paid by your employer. The city would still be there for you when you want to do something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin