Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 AM

24 posts, read 42,418 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I've been living in Austin for 6+ months now. I relocated from Temecula, CA (SoCal). I wanted to post some thoughts about the move.

A quick note: We first visited Austin in October 2012. We decided to move there in December and made the move in February. Until one week before our move, we have NO idea that Austin was suffering from transplantitis! LOL! Seriously, we were shocked when trying to find a rental. We thought that Austin was just trudging along like every other capital city, not growing at a ridiculous rate!

Anyway, we do like it here in ATX. I will say that it is a little more hustle & bustle than we thought it would be. We went on a road trip recently to the south and that is really laid back.

I would agree that there are a lot of wannabees in ATX. However, I have met a lot of good friends here within the first couple months. People are generally open minded. I can definitely see how the long time locals are getting irritated by all the uber lib californians moving to their capital. However, being more libertarian, I think the homeschool community is great. Its awesome to turn on the radio and hear Alex Jones and other liberty lovers, rather than good 'ol NPR back home in Cali!

And don't worry locals who want to see the California transplants stop....many of them will end up moving back in a couple years. California is filled with a lot a spoiled people. The heat will get 'em. Hehe. Me...I love the Austin heat. I know this summer hasn't been that hot, though.

Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 08:02 AM

155 posts, read 210,776 times
This is a first - someone moving to Austin and showering praise on our "freedom-loving" radio hosts and deriding fellow California transplants who might not share his/her political beliefs! Well, Austin has changed!

Old 09-16-2013, 08:39 AM

28 posts, read 48,409 times
I moved here over 7 years ago, and I had the exact same first impression you did.

But over time, you meet people here, in the city, and realize that there is a layer under all the big city stuff that is really relaxed and laid-back.

Give it some time, it seems like you are already on that path.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:34 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,066,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkpacific View Post
Hi everyone!

I've been living in Austin for 6+ months now. I relocated from Temecula, CA (SoCal). I wanted to post some thoughts about the move.

And don't worry locals who want to see the California transplants stop....many of them will end up moving back in a couple years. California is filled with a lot a spoiled people. The heat will get 'em. Hehe. Me...I love the Austin heat. I know this summer hasn't been that hot, though.

Take care.
welcome!

I would say this summer has been on the hotter side. I have been here for 16 years now and this summer is probably the 4th hottest. If you can take this you are probably good to go

There is a hustle and bustle, but there is more of a lifestyle vibe that permeates the workplace, shopping etc. For example in high tech people always work a lot, but in austin there is definitely more of an emphasis on work life balance.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:53 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,018,968 times
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 AM

3,836 posts, read 5,739,865 times
1. This has been an exceptionally hot summer compared to normal summers. The last 5 years or so have strung brutal summers back to back so people forget that Austin, while hot, is not normally like this.

Edit - Austin has had 42 days of 100+ weather. A normal year would be about a bakers dozen. This has been a hotter than usual summer and not by a little bit. >3X the normal number of 100+ days - and dry, horribly dry. It's been terrible.

2. There is nothing refreshing to me at all about Alex Jones and his endless unsubstantiated completely unsupportable conspiracy theories. He's a nut who propagates paranoia for his own personal gain and one of the worst things ever to come out of Austin. Alex Jones libertarians come off as a collection of crazed tin hatters that no one can take seriously and that is extremely unfortunate for actual ideological libertarians.

Last edited by Komeht; 09-17-2013 at 08:15 AM..

Old 09-17-2013, 08:31 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,254,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
There is nothing refreshing to me at all about Alex Jones and his endless unsubstantiated completely unsupportable conspiracy theories. He's a nut who propagates paranoia for his own personal gain and one of the worst things ever to come out of Austin.
For a moment there, I thought you were talking about Jim Hightower.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:51 AM

3,836 posts, read 5,739,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
For a moment there, I thought you were talking about Jim Hightower.
There are nuts that should be ignored on both the left and the right.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,254,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
There are nuts that should be ignored on both the left and the right.
I've always thought of it as a circle - that the closer you get to both ends, the closer they are to each other.

Always seen it as a testament to Austin, that we can house Alex Jones and Jim Hightower, Molly Ivins and Karl Rove, pick your fundamentalist minister and Madelyn Murray O'Hair.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:53 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,869,674 times
Alex Jones? You must be kidding. Are you aware of the general voting record of this city? There are a few nuts here and there (right wing, that is), but overall this city is liberal to moderate and votes that way. And yes, NPR is the most popular news source in this city. The suburbs, well that's another matter compared to the city proper. That's where people tend to listen to KLBJ AM, which is about as (non) credible as Fox News.

Last edited by Weatherguy; 09-18-2013 at 11:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin