Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 10:23 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Yes, I would try to bring some media exposure and embarrassment to the AG office. Call and see if there is a process to complain about unethical behavior by an employee, and try to file a complaint. That usually get's the attention of people.
I'd be REALLY careful before I took this advice.

First, I've adjudicated enough conflicts in my life - at home at at work - to know there are two sides to every story. I'd like to know on what basis the OP's sister was sued. I have to wonder if it was a response to the variance request, vice an actual suit. If it was a suit, for what?

Second, even if it was, how does that constitute "unethical behavior by an employee"? So go down that road - make your complaint. How does that play out? "Uh, XYZ, the AG is running for governor and we'd like you to lay off your neighbor." Hey, I'm just exercising my rights on my free time. How is that the AG's concern? Next performance appraisal - anything less than glowing, or no raise - off to court, this time for defamation of character pro quod - real damages. You think the OP's sister's life is he** now, just wait for that. Like you don't want to start arguments with people that buy ink by the barrel, you really don't want to open yourself up to a defamation suit with an attorney.

Third, that is just the legal level - how about the "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" level? Do we really want to get to a point that if our neighbor does something within their rights, on their time, that we can try to embarrass their boss to pressure them into stopping? Joe Blow hates the idea of building a new high school SW, so he pickets the school board. Do you want his boss getting calls to tell him to stop?

All you in the "all's fair in love and war" camp need to realize, there is such a thing as counter battery fire. Since we are talkin' 'bout war...

Last edited by scm53; 09-18-2013 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 10:33 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,334,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
...and right BEFORE you do that, get all your duckies in a row, cross all your t's, and dot all you i's.
That is correct. Bureaucrats are sticklers for detail when it suits them.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:55 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
All you in the "all's fair in love and war" camp need to realize, there is such a thing as counter battery fire. Since we are talkin' 'bout war...
Yep. Runs both ways.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:22 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,452,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teecaz View Post
Thank you for your input. No, not building it themselves. They acknowledge mistakes made along the way. However, they thought they were in compliance with everything. Gotta get past this lawsuit b/4 they can continue with GC and such.

Just a frustrated sister watching kids and marriage deteriorate over this....
Never underestimate the inane desire of a few to control everybody else - it's why HOAs and now these local historic districts and their affiliated organizations (HPNCT?) never work for the vast majority of the folks living in the area.

What is the basis for the lawsuit? What "compliance" issue is there that the neighbor would have any standing to complain about or be able to rectify with such litigation? The neighbor might have ability to complain to city of Austin but not to enforce municipal ordinances personally via a lawsuit. There still is something missing from this story. Is this complaint tied into the HP Local Historic District or the HOA-like organization such as the NPCT ("we decide who votes, who is on the NPCT, and you will follow our rules")

Old 09-18-2013, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 7,379 times
Thank you all for your replies. There is no intent to bring media into this situation. I have no desire to make this worse for my sister. I am just a very concerned sister who wants to see her family happy again and her nieces living in a home. I was looking for a similar instance so I could understand process and procedure or gain insight. To me it just does not seem 'right' or 'just'. I know...life is not 'fair'.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:51 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,055,823 times
They might try complaining to the State Bar Association, this situation sounds abusive.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:36 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,618,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This is the first thing that occurred to me - if the situation is as described, the media would love to be all over it. Add into the Greg Abbott connection, even moreso.

Go for it!! You'd be surprised what can change when they get that call for Wwhatever or when an enterprising reporter doesn't even bother to call but just shows up as this guy is leaving his building.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:48 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
They might try complaining to the State Bar Association, this situation sounds abusive.
That is exactly what I would do.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:52 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,599 times
I'd challenge all of you folks that think this is "abusive" to explain how it is that. I'd also like the OP to state just exactly what is the basis for this unexplained "suit".

There are some facts here - material ones at that - that aren't seeing the light of day. And waaaaaaaay too many folks with the pitchforks out. Robespierre would be proud.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:52 PM

673 posts, read 2,716,670 times
Follow the advice of the poster who said to hire a professional who can create a 100% compliant plan. At that point, it's COA's responsibility to approve it. If COA makes a mistake, then they need to fix it. If COA caves to individual pressure, then they deserve attention. Contact local media and use social media.

Whatever you do, don't take the neighbor defamation route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: