Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:09 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times

Advertisements

Are there any rules regarding how many people can live in a house? And if there are is it area specific?

The reason I'm asking is this...I see a lot of small moving vans and think someone is moving out when in actuality they are moving in. Or, am I making a judgement and I'm not seeing accurately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 11:10 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,262,375 times
You wouldn't happen to live next door to a family that's trying to add an extension to their house do you?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:12 AM

lol, no. However, I've seen a lot of garages become "not garages". Hows that for bad grammar?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:18 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Poor people need places to live also. It'd be a pretty cruel society to live in when we artificially and drastically constrict the supply of housing thus driving up prices and the prevent those not able to keep up from doubling up on living quarters.

Of course, the actual solution is to radically alter our course of action and return to the way we use to build cities and strip all those land use codes away that protect the very rich at the direct expense of the very poor and make our city worse in the process.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Poor people need places to live also. It'd be a pretty cruel society to live in when we artificially and drastically constrict the supply of housing thus driving up prices and the prevent those not able to keep up from doubling up on living quarters.

Of course, the actual solution is to radically alter our course of action and return to the way we use to build cities and strip all those land use codes away that protect the very rich at the direct expense of the very poor and make our city worse in the process.

Wow, and I thought it was me that jumped to conclusions and made assumptions. And, I'm not talking about "doubling" up...it's a bit more than double me thinks. But, hey...I could be wrong.

When my family moved here from another country and worked we had homes where my grandparents lived downstairs and my aunts and uncles lived upstairs...but they were two completely separate homes with a staircase on the side where you could enter the upstairs from the outside-front lower porch. And those lawns were truly postage size and you could shake hands with your neighbor if you opened the window. Well, or throw empty beer bottles at them.

What that has to do with anything I don't know. My question was in regards to how many people can you cram into one house and are there rules in regards to that.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:30 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Lol, he did not jump to a conclusion, he has been camped on a specific conclusion for a long time .

Old 09-18-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Lol, he did not jump to a conclusion, he has been camped on a specific conclusion for a long time .

LOL, Maybe we should bring him/her, (I really don't know which) some fresh wha-tah because he might be getting a bit thirsty. (thats water with a weird accent)

Old 09-18-2013, 11:44 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Are there any rules regarding how many people can live in a house? And if there are is it area specific?
Apparently not. Ever owned a rental house in Texas? It matters not what the lease says, garages, storage buildings and even enclosed porches are subject to being moved into.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:47 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Wow, and I thought it was me that jumped to conclusions and made assumptions. And, I'm not talking about "doubling" up...it's a bit more than double me thinks. But, hey...I could be wrong.

When my family moved here from another country and worked we had homes where my grandparents lived downstairs and my aunts and uncles lived upstairs...but they were two completely separate homes with a staircase on the side where you could enter the upstairs from the outside-front lower porch. And those lawns were truly postage size and you could shake hands with your neighbor if you opened the window. Well, or throw empty beer bottles at them.

What that has to do with anything I don't know. My question was in regards to how many people can you cram into one house and are there rules in regards to that.
And I'm saying that if you make things really expensive people will do what they have to to survive.

There is a sensible alternative that doesn't involve cruelty to people not as lucky as you or I. It's to dramatically increase the housing supply so people can stand a chance at something affordable on their own rather than sharing.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:54 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
I recall Austin has some codes limiting the max number of people per bedroom, but it was pretty high. Suburbs may have no such codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin