Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:41 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,166 times

Advertisements

In today's Austin Chronicle the same theme is in Letters To the Editor pg. 8 & 10 also and pg.14 & pg. 46

All espousing Austin being too expensive to live in,changed/crappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 10:42 AM

Default bold font and yes it is about affordable housing

by the way I did not bold those words-not sure who did or how that happened-weird.

and yes the issue is affordable housing because i am the OP and that is what I started this thread about.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 AM

Hi Hound109, did you go back and read "787" posts?

He says "Imagine living in a town filled with poor people and no libraries. Poor people who won't pay the taxes necessary for the sanitation department to clean up after them when they throw garbage on the ground.

Someone show me a poor neighborhood where the people clean up after themselves. Go ahead."

This is what I mean when I say "I do not have such a low view of poor people as you......."

And if I went back and answered all the little tangents and questions it would not be dealing with the bond. And look what did happen-no one had anything meaningful to add.

I try and be as respectful as possible of others, if you go back and read from the beginning all the way thru you will see me again and again try and engage regarding the original question and not insult anyone.

City Data Forum has a tradition of some meaningful convo it is not like many other sites where it a fest of who likes who evers opinions because they are on the same side. Sometimes real discussion and learning happens. Not this time-but many times.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,238 times
What is weird is that if we allowed for more supply in central Austin we would not have subsidize people's housing. Also the bonds don't to anything for the middle class. Austin is moving toward a situation that you either have to make 300k to live in central Austin in non subsidized housing or less than 25k to get subsidized housing.

People are being forced out of central Austin and also asked to pay extra taxes for the people that are taking their place. Weird.

Also I am fairly liberal. But this is silly when the easier solution is to allow for more supply in central Austin and eliminate the need for subsidized housing.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:37 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkataustin View Post
What is weird is that if we allowed for more supply in central Austin we would not have subsidize people's housing. Also the bonds don't to anything for the middle class. Austin is moving toward a situation that you either have to make 300k to live in central Austin in non subsidized housing or less than 25k to get subsidized housing.

People are being forced out of central Austin and also asked to pay extra taxes for the people that are taking their place. Weird.

Also I am fairly liberal. But this is silly when the easier solution is to allow for more supply in central Austin and eliminate the need for subsidized housing.
Absolutely correct!

Old 10-31-2013, 03:58 PM

979 posts, read 2,955,108 times
Quote:
Pretty sure this is less about making housing more affordable and more about lining someone's pockets somewhere.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:22 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
Quote:

Good first post. This is why we need to look at all the competing land uses with reference to how that effects supply. The developers, neighborhood associations, and city council are the ones who should be working together to help with the housing shortage that occurs at various price points and locations.

The basic fact is that lower income people do not buy new cars, but rather depend on the supply of used cars from people who can. In that way today's mid-priced apartments will be affordable to another income bracket or two lower in the coming decades.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:08 AM

Here is one of those poor people we should I guess despise, assume they keep their property dirty and kick to the curb.
Blind woman, 67, faces eviction after land sold for $43 - chicagotribune.com

Or someone like this might deserve Affordable Housing. yes she is in Indiana-I am using her as an example of some of the folks who need it here.

You can read several articles lately in town about folks who are in similar circumstances who need affordable housing.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:12 AM

Please someone explain what this means "What is weird is that if we allowed for more supply in central Austin we would not have (to) subsidize people's housing." There is something being left out. I do not understand this. This is the 2nd poster to put this and get agreement but I do not understand how just building houses in central Austin fixes everything. Please, please explain more.

thanks.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:18 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
More supply means cheaper housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: