Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 10:38 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Actually, you MUST do it in a car since walking is NOT and option as it is in most of 04.
How do you figure? Most of the side streets in those neighborhoods don't even have sidewalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 10:43 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Right. That's part of their charm, really. I didn't realize that it was impossible to walk anywhere without sidewalks, and as a result have been doing it for the past 62 years or so.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:53 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Komeht, I made a point of checking a map before I posted that. Plus, of course I've been driving in Austin for the past 44 years and have lived close to both areas and are familiar with them and where they are.

As for funky, given your proclivity for skyscrapers and gutting and rebuilding downtown, I'd say if funky walked up and bit you on the nose, you wouldn't recognize it.
The skyscraper of Travis Heights? Does Stassney or William Cannon have the funkyness of South First or SoCo? Maybe it's the Big Box stores on Brody lane that you think are funky. Or the endless cheaply built over price tract homes? Perhaps it's funky that 78745 is absolutely unwalkable or it's funky to you that there is about 1/100th of the iconic local Austin businesses that exist in 78704.

It's tiresome having to rebut your absurdity on a regular basis. I know you're a realtor and have a product to sell and a vested interest in puffery like "close to downtown" and "walkable to starbucks" but people who are looking in these areas should know there is a real reason that the market puts a 2 - 3X price premium on '04 and get an unbiased and honest assessment from people who actually live in Austin.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Right. That's part of their charm, really.
Yeah. Having no choice but to walk in the street is charming. I'll keep my eye out for real estate listings bragging about no sidewalks. Oddly enough, I've never seen one.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:00 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
How do you figure? Most of the side streets in those neighborhoods don't even have sidewalks.
If I had to list 50 items that make a place "walkable" sidewalks would probably be 45th in importance.

The essential elements to walkability are:

Useful
Interesting
Safe
comfortable

some of the most walkable and best streets in the world don't have ANY sidewalks at all and the entire street is on a single grade where cars, pedestrians, cyclists, cafes and artists all share the same space.

A sidewalk is neither a necessary, nor a sufficient condition for walkability.

This is NOT walkable.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
The essential elements to walkability are:

Useful
Interesting
Safe
comfortable

some of the most walkable and best streets in the world don't have ANY sidewalks at all and the entire street is on a single grade where cars, pedestrians, cyclists, cafes and artists all share the same space.
Doesn't sound safe. A lot of trendies would end up being part of the pavement.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:58 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Yeah. Having no choice but to walk in the street is charming. I'll keep my eye out for real estate listings bragging about no sidewalks. Oddly enough, I've never seen one.
Makes it easier to drive into the yard to park. Curbs? Sidewalks? Who needs 'em????

Old 03-17-2014, 06:08 PM

3 posts, read 5,539 times
Any thoughts on how the new zoning will help or hinder 78745? I've been a south Austinite since the big influx of people in the 90s and got pushed out of Hyde Park. I do love the 78745 neighborhood, it is slowly catching up. I like being on the outer edge of all the hubub. I catch the bus and walk regularly. Will this zoning attract more popular businesses? Will it improve our access? Or will it draw more people, causing congestion and a raise in property taxes and affordability?

Old 04-06-2014, 08:25 AM

19 posts, read 36,735 times
I am in 45 as well and am right off the edge of the new zoning which is nice because I can watch from the sidelines.
I think it will in the mid to long term, improve the aesthetics of many of the outdated business centers in the are which is good. I like that is addresses MF as well. There are many on Westgate that are in need of some rules to keep them from being more of a blight. There will be good and bad coming from it, but it's progress and it will help this very fast growing part of the city.
Just saw this as well, a little unrelated as its 45 and 48, but just goes to show how south of Ben white is changing.
'Way South Austin' could be next entertainment district | kvue.com Austin

Old 04-06-2014, 09:33 AM

269 posts, read 428,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Austin View Post
I am in 45 as well and am right off the edge of the new zoning which is nice because I can watch from the sidelines.
I think it will in the mid to long term, improve the aesthetics of many of the outdated business centers in the are which is good. I like that is addresses MF as well. There are many on Westgate that are in need of some rules to keep them from being more of a blight. There will be good and bad coming from it, but it's progress and it will help this very fast growing part of the city.
Just saw this as well, a little unrelated as its 45 and 48, but just goes to show how south of Ben white is changing.
'Way South Austin' could be next entertainment district | kvue.com Austin
We are a sprawling city so we will see a lot of different areas with bars, as we should. Not everyone wants to be DT, most people want to play where they live, its not surprising. And FTR, no part of 78745 is south of Slaughter Lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin