Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:33 AM

8 posts, read 13,439 times

Advertisements

Recently moved from the Midwest to Waco to take a faculty job at a college there that will remain nameless. I'm early 30's, single and no kids, and not-terribly religious. Love the job, except for the fact that....

...Waco is a social wasteland. Now, I knew this somewhat going in, the religion, the lack of nightlife, the scarcity of singles who are not college-students, etc. But I didn't expect it to be *this* bad.

Now Austin is a wonderful city, and I'm thinking of moving closer to the area once my lease is up. Right now I'm thinking Georgetown; within the Austin area, but also near I-35 to commute to work. Google maps tells me it would be about an hour-and-fifteen commute. Does this seem accurate? Anyone else have experience with such a commute?

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 02:02 AM

527 posts, read 1,229,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxon View Post
Recently moved from the Midwest to Waco to take a faculty job at a college there that will remain nameless. I'm early 30's, single and no kids, and not-terribly religious. Love the job, except for the fact that....

...Waco is a social wasteland. Now, I knew this somewhat going in, the religion, the lack of nightlife, the scarcity of singles who are not college-students, etc. But I didn't expect it to be *this* bad.

Now Austin is a wonderful city, and I'm thinking of moving closer to the area once my lease is up. Right now I'm thinking Georgetown; within the Austin area, but also near I-35 to commute to work. Google maps tells me it would be about an hour-and-fifteen commute. Does this seem accurate? Anyone else have experience with such a commute?

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.
An unnamed college in Waco, got it

Having gone to a certain unnamed college in Waco as an undergrad, what you say is all pretty much accurate. You can definitely make the commute in an hour and 15 to hour 30, depending on the traffic. Check Google Maps for rush hour traffic info.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:33 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
I like to drive as much as the next guy; but choosing to spend 3 hours a day in the car EVERY day? Plus the extra $20+/day in fuel costs, not to mention wear and tear? No thanks. Georgetown is a nice place; but it's not going to be flooded with single thirty-somethings. Now, you're going to add another hour's drive into Austin for your social life? Yikes! Guess I'm too old and too married for that!

Old 10-15-2013, 07:50 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,189,088 times
One thing you'll want to consider is that there is a LOT of construction going on on I35 between Salado and Waco right now which will take a while to complete. You'll want to figure that into your travel time.

And it's not an hour into all of Austin - I live about 15 miles north of Georgetown, and it takes about 45 minutes into North Austin (my husband's business used to be there and so he drove it daily).

Before all the construction hit, it would take us an hour to get to Waco, so an hour and fifteen sounds about right.

I'd say make the drive and see what you think. See how much gas it takes and figure that into your budget. Check out the town.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:47 AM

3,982 posts, read 6,696,604 times
Too long a commute unless it was not everyday.

Looks like there is a concentration of coffee shops in the area around Franklin Avenue and 4th/5th streets. One of the more fun neighborhoods perhaps?

Old 10-15-2013, 02:55 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,021,625 times
I know someone who commuted to Waco twice a week for TWO years for an academic job at an unnamed university! It was BRUTAL. And this was 10 years when traffic was less and there was much less construction.

And Georgetown is home to its own nameless university, many faculty live in Austin and consider the drive to G-town to be long! Anyway, I would look long and hard to find your people in Waco. They must be there. Try Meetup, try the Unitarian Church! At least wait another year or two until the highway construction is done.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:56 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,618,356 times
If you are gonna do that drive why not north towards DFW? 1.5 hours get you into Oak Cliff so if you are on the outskirts around the metroplex it might be only an hour..

Old 10-15-2013, 07:37 PM

I'd definitely consider the outskirts of DFW, but it is equally as far away per google maps.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:46 PM

527 posts, read 1,229,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxon View Post
I'd definitely consider the outskirts of DFW, but it is equally as far away per google maps.
You could go to Temple

Old 10-15-2013, 10:47 PM

LOL, I've been to Temple...and comparatively, I'd rather stay in Waco .

The major issue for me is, well, dating. I want to meet an educated woman around my age who doesn't have and doesn't want kids. While that would be a challenge anywhere, it's a virtual impossibility in the Waco area.

I did a Match search within a 50-mile radius of Waco; of 800-some women in my given age range, about 400 are childless. Once you screen out those who "definitely" want kids, I am left with 48 results. Exactly 48. This isn't even factoring in education, degree of religious devotion, personality, etc.

The exact same search within a 50-mile radius of Georgetown, which would include the Austin area, yields over 530 results.

Now, if moving to the outskirts of the DFW area would yield the same results, I'd definitely consider it too.

I'd rather not be single for years and years to come, and to me, it seems, a commute would be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin