Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 04:02 PM

527 posts, read 1,230,172 times

Advertisements

I need to install a couple of recessed medicine cabinets in my bathroom. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do I need a carpenter or general contractor for this job, or would something like a handyman suffice? I'm thinking a handyman is ok because this is something I can do myself if I'm willing to put in the time and effort (unless of course there are wires or plumbing behind the drywall that need to be relocated).

2. Any recommendations who to hire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 04:22 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,478,522 times
This is something I want to do and have found the wiring and a stud right where I want to mount the MC. Looks like a surface mount cab will be the answer for me. As you know, that's the key...what's behind the wallboard. Moving a stud...not fun, but doable. Rewiring and/or relocating an outlet below the cab...not my cup of tea. I frankly don't know of a handyman who could take this on...unless you call one of the "Handyman for a Day" type services. In the meantime, I'm trying to finish installing the cork flooring in DW's office...no water or electricity involved!

Old 10-19-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
This is something I want to do and have found the wiring and a stud right where I want to mount the MC. Looks like a surface mount cab will be the answer for me. As you know, that's the key...what's behind the wallboard. Moving a stud...not fun, but doable. Rewiring and/or relocating an outlet below the cab...not my cup of tea. I frankly don't know of a handyman who could take this on...unless you call one of the "Handyman for a Day" type services. In the meantime, I'm trying to finish installing the cork flooring in DW's office...no water or electricity involved!
I've read a bunch of DIY guides on this, and they all require cutting a stud to make the cavity for the medicine cabinet. For example, there is this one. As for as rewiring, you are right, it would require an electrician. But you (I) may or may not need to, depending if there is wiring behind where the cavity will be made. Surface mount is certainly a lot easier, but I'm concerned that it would look bad. This is where I plan to install them, one on each side:

I'm worried that with surface mount cabs on both sides, I would lose 10 inches of space in an area where space is already at a premium.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:53 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,895,935 times
Most wood studs in a house are not load bearing and can easily be framed around if they are.

Any outlets or switches on the other side of that wall? If not it is probably clear of electrical, but there could be a plumbing vent riser up into the attic given that there are two sinks. Those can be rerouted to clear the cabinets. The wall stud locations will be the most limiting in order to place recessed cabinets, but those can be modified to box in an opening for them. This can all be done by a good handiman or carpenter, he may have to bring in a plumber or electrician depending on what you find in the wall.

Surface mounted cabinets would be an option, but I'd probably want them to be a continuous strip across the span of that space, from left to right, and you will need to move the light fixtures out more to illuminate the space. The area below the cabinets could be mirrored or tile, perhaps with a light bar below the cabinets.

I recommend either of these people who have done bigger jobs for me in the past:

Rafael Boban (512) 585-7905
Sam Bethke (512) 751-3329

Old 10-19-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Most wood studs in a house are not load bearing and can easily be framed around if they are.

Any outlets or switches on the other side of that wall? If not it is probably clear of electrical, but there could be a plumbing vent riser up into the attic given that there are two sinks. Those can be rerouted to clear the cabinets. The wall stud locations will be the most limiting in order to place recessed cabinets, but those can be modified to box in an opening for them. This can all be done by a good handiman or carpenter, he may have to bring in a plumber or electrician depending on what you find in the wall.

Surface mounted cabinets would be an option, but I'd probably want them to be a continuous strip across the span of that space, from left to right, and you will need to move the light fixtures out more to illuminate the space. The area below the cabinets could be mirrored or tile, perhaps with a light bar below the cabinets.

I recommend either of these people who have done bigger jobs for me in the past:

Rafael Boban (512) 585-7905
Sam Bethke (512) 751-3329
No plans to make changes to the lighting. I just wanted to add some storage as I have no drawers in that space (because of the dual sinks).

I might attempt this myself first. This video make it seem like it's not that complicated:

How To Install A Medicine Cabinet - Build.com - YouTube

And if I find wiring or plumbing behind the drywall, I can contact one of the aforementioned professionals. Thoughts?

Old 10-19-2013, 05:40 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,895,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_down View Post
No plans to make changes to the lighting. I just wanted to add some storage as I have no drawers in that space (because of the dual sinks).

I might attempt this myself first. This video make it seem like it's not that complicated:

How To Install A Medicine Cabinet - Build.com - YouTube

And if I find wiring or plumbing behind the drywall, I can contact one of the aforementioned professionals. Thoughts?
If you find wiring or plumbing behind the drywall you will need to contact a licensed plumber or electrician to make the necessary modifications. If you hire one of the guys I referenced, they know people to contact to do that for you.

You can do it all yourself, just know you may need to call in a licensed plumber or electrician.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
If you find wiring or plumbing behind the drywall you will need to contact a licensed plumber or electrician to make the necessary modifications. If you hire one of the guys I referenced, they know people to contact to do that for you.

You can do it all yourself, just know you may need to call in a licensed plumber or electrician.
Good point, thanks. I should probably check with the builder first to see if there are any wiring or plumbing behind the drywall first.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:55 PM

That outlet is mounted to a stud, so you will have electrical 'concerns' as well as a stud in the way. I have the same config with the outlet and current towel loop and have found a couple of surface mount cabs that aren't too bad. Of course, to look reasonable depth-wise, they can't be all that deep. My search continues. We have the separate vanities, but mine has NO drawers. I'll be adding a kitchen-style pullout to the 'cabinet' that is only 9 inches wide. For the MC, I'm looking for something pretty shallow...as you said, space is at a premium. I only need enough depth for toothpaste, razor, deodorant stick, floss, etc...I'm not looking to store linens and such.

Poor DW has a couple of drawers but no chance at a MC...nothing but glass around her vanity.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
That outlet is mounted to a stud, so you will have electrical 'concerns' as well as a stud in the way. I have the same config with the outlet and current towel loop and have found a couple of surface mount cabs that aren't too bad. Of course, to look reasonable depth-wise, they can't be all that deep. My search continues. We have the separate vanities, but mine has NO drawers. I'll be adding a kitchen-style pullout to the 'cabinet' that is only 9 inches wide. For the MC, I'm looking for something pretty shallow...as you said, space is at a premium. I only need enough depth for toothpaste, razor, deodorant stick, floss, etc...I'm not looking to store linens and such.

Poor DW has a couple of drawers but no chance at a MC...nothing but glass around her vanity.
I feel dumb for asking, but... what is MC?

I'm also interested in hearing more about this kitchen-style pullout thing. Any more info?

Old 10-19-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_down View Post
I feel dumb for asking, but... what is MC?

I'm also interested in hearing more about this kitchen-style pullout thing. Any more info?
Sorry...Medicine Cabinet

Lowe's has the kit to convert a skinny cabinet like you might find next to a range or to span an odd space near a corner in the kitchen. The door becomes the front of the cabinet pull-out that consists of two shelves, I believe. Would be a little more convenient than digging under the sink for items. Pretty sure it's NOT Rev a Shelf...those prices are nuts!
Rev-A-Shelf

Seems like the one at Lowe's was Reg 99 on sale for $79
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: