Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 03:31 PM

74 posts, read 121,556 times

Advertisements

I been in the Army for the past couple if years and I'm hanging up my boots and moving on with my life. I'm still young, only 21 but 22 next month. I want to to relocate to the Austin area cause all the research I have done has Austin ranked in the top 5 cities for young adults and low cost of living. Now is that true or are they just saying that? I am single too as well so it should be even easier for me to relocate. How are the job job opportunities around the area for a military veteran? Whats the average price for an an apartment or condo? What kind of stuff is there to do and specail events? Would like all the help I can get to be more knowledgeable about the city. The down side is I have nevered really lived in a big city in my life. Im from a small town in iowa and always lived in a small town so I know its gonna take me time to get used to the change. Now is it as hot as everyone says it is?

Thanks
Steven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 03:57 PM

104 posts, read 157,091 times
Go to Google and type in Austin Texas for young adults
and read some of the sites that pop up.

Then do this one Austin Texas for young professionals

Then this one (good one) Austin Texas living for young professionals

If you come here for a visit, look into Couch Surfing:
https://www.couchsurfing.org

also,
FIREHOUSE HOSTEL AUSTIN
https://www.airbnb.com/s/Austin--TX

Austin is a cool place to live and this is coming from a 70 year old! Just one thing I have to advise. Find a job first and then get your apt. or whatever as close as you possibly can to work, because traffic here sucks!

Old 10-20-2013, 04:09 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Thank you for your service Saylor.

I agree with PinkRibbon. Traffic can suck (especially if you're on the wrong side of town from work). It'll be much more expensive in Austin than a medium sized city closer to Iowa. (at your age, I'd look for a roommate).

But you're young, & I suspect someone would want to hire a vet. If you can snag a job, give it a try. They'll be a few folks near your age a few blocks north of the Capital.

To all.....what do you think about recommending College Station (over Austin) to a small town kid just out of the army? (for lots of reasons)

Old 10-20-2013, 04:19 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,954,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saylor91 View Post
I been in the Army for the past couple if years and I'm hanging up my boots and moving on with my life. I'm still young, only 21 but 22 next month. I want to to relocate to the Austin area cause all the research I have done has Austin ranked in the top 5 cities for young adults and low cost of living. Now is that true or are they just saying that? I am single too as well so it should be even easier for me to relocate. How are the job job opportunities around the area for a military veteran? Whats the average price for an an apartment or condo? What kind of stuff is there to do and specail events? Would like all the help I can get to be more knowledgeable about the city. The down side is I have nevered really lived in a big city in my life. Im from a small town in iowa and always lived in a small town so I know its gonna take me time to get used to the change. Now is it as hot as everyone says it is?

Thanks
Steven
From the fun and social aspect, it's a great place for young people. But you are going to have sticker shock when you see the cost of housing. I don't understand why these "top five" lists continue to perpetuate the legend that housing in Austin is cheap. It is likely to be far from what you perceive as "affordable" but it's certainly do-able with the right attitude. Rents get cheaper the further out you move and are a little better in less desirable areas or older apartment complexes. If you're able to make due in a studio or even manage a roommate situation to start off, that will help.

As mentioned by pinkribbonaustin, it's important not to move here without a job. Although the economy has not taken the kind of beating here that it did in other places and jobs are more plentiful, there is still stiff competition for good jobs in most industries. The location of your work will also play an important role in where you live --- commuting is brutal and the closer you can live to work the better. Please visit before you move. It will give you a much better feel for the city as well as the kinds of costs you'll be looking at.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:12 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
I would recommend you come here and work on your degree. What was your MOS? Is it something that a) you enjoyed or found rewarding? And b) is it something you can use in the civilian world? If it isn't, what would you see yourself doing? You have access to the post-9/11 GI bill, so it will pay you $1422/mo to live on, besides paying your tuition. You can enroll in the local JUCO, get your prerequisites out of the way, them look at transferring to a four year school in the area - UT, Texas State, or even UT San Antonio. Maybe a four year degree isn't for you - if so, then get a skill awarding AA or AS. It is REALLY important that you have something that says you have a skill - and Uncle Sam will pay for it, and give you living money.

I'd also take a hard look at getting in the reserves or NG. You have access to low cost health care through Tricare Reserve, some extra cash, and a ready network of people that you understand and who understand you. Help with your social life, and help finding a job.

If you don't want to go to school, then follow the advice about having a job before you move here. Just be aware that there are hundreds of folks applying for every no-skill job, and wages are in the tank. You will have to live on $9.50 - $10.50/hr. That is tough sledding. Think hard about the school option. You've given to the nation, and we are ready to give back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin