Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 01:42 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Were you aware that the burglary and theft crime rates are higher in Austin then they are in Chicago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
One should always keep in mind that burglary and theft rates are highly dependent on the policies of the local police force. The FBI specifically cautions against assuming the data between cities is comparable. I do not believe that I am at greater risk of robbery in Austin than I would be in Chicago - but I can't prove it.

Homicides and violent crime in general on the other hand are reported and tracked far more uniformly.
Robbery is a different category from burglary and theft. Also Robbery is much, much higher in Chicago.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 09:05 PM

152 posts, read 196,432 times
Quote:
Robbery is a different category from burglary and theft. Also Robbery is much, much higher in Chicago.
Holy cow. I've always said after visiting Chicago I wouldn't live there if you paid me but after seeing that I wouldn't if you paid me a million.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:02 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
From the OP.

No one assumed diddly.
Oops, missed that part! In any case, Austin is as diverse as anywhere else. Unless you're talking about schools that are majority black or Hispanic... which in any city tends to mean inner city. Suburban schools in Houston are very white, but with increasing numbers of black students whose parents are fleeing the city.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-27-2013, 11:15 PM

327 posts, read 766,971 times
You'll have to deal with hipsters stealing your stuff and ghetto people in east I-35, but apart from that, I have never felt like my life was in danger in Austin.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:21 PM

327 posts, read 766,971 times
Quote:
Actually.. Here's the most recent data I could find for Austin (2011):

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin