Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 05:00 PM

36 posts, read 60,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
what was your budget again for what sized home? I live in the westwood area and know it pretty well.

For example it looks like there is construction on fittonia to actually construct the cul de sac that is platted out. So 10 lots may come onto the market soon.

Another piece of land is in the process of being subdivided on dk-ranch. Land prices arent that high in the area - typically 150K for a lot.
I have a max budget of $425K based on an average of 2.5% property tax. I'm looking for a 4/3, more than 2500 sq ft, on a decent sized lot. Newer construction is preferred. I live in a hundred year old house now and while it's got it's charms, I'm tired of dealing with the lack of insulation and a bunch of other things.

This property just listed today: 9705 Cinnabar Trail, Austin TX 78726, USA - Virtual Tour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 06:40 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldasndood View Post
I have a max budget of $425K based on an average of 2.5% property tax. I'm looking for a 4/3, more than 2500 sq ft, on a decent sized lot. Newer construction is preferred. I live in a hundred year old house now and while it's got it's charms, I'm tired of dealing with the lack of insulation and a bunch of other things.

This property just listed today: 9705 Cinnabar Trail, Austin TX 78726, USA - Virtual Tour
For 425k you should be able to easily get into the westwood area. Use redfins map based search to find potential matches.

there is a house on windemere that is 2480 sq ft for 359k feeds into westwood, cathy caraway and Canyon vista middle school.

North of spicewood springs rd and 183, there are bigger newer houses.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:53 PM

11001 Marble Rd, Austin, TX 78750 | MLS# 9642990 | Redfin

Why is this house so inexpensive? Is there a problem with Anderson Mill or are the houses a little bit run down in the area?

Old 04-25-2014, 02:01 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
Quote:
11001 Marble Rd, Austin, TX 78750 | MLS# 9642990 | Redfin

Why is this house so inexpensive? Is there a problem with Anderson Mill or are the houses a little bit run down in the area?
Lmao at "inexpensive". That's probably double what that house sold for 5 years ago.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Lmao at "inexpensive". That's probably double what that house sold for 5 years ago.
Relative to the other homes that feed into Westwood High School, it's insanely cheaper. Is Anderson Mill a good place to raise kids?

Old 04-25-2014, 03:06 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
At the bottom of the downturn, I'd guess $80K difference, but not double.

oldas, you're not getting quite the square footage or lot size you asked for; but I'd say this house, with the upgrades listed and barring a leaky pool or ghost infestation, is likely under contract by the time I finish typing this. Even with upgrades, it IS 35 years old and could have really lousy windows and a failing HVAC and roof; so, let's be careful out there!

Old 04-25-2014, 03:17 PM

269 posts, read 428,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post

oldas, you're not getting quite the square footage or lot size you asked for; but I'd say this house, with the upgrades listed and barring a leaky pool or ghost infestation, is likely under contract by the time I finish typing this. Even with upgrades, it IS 35 years old and could have really lousy windows and a failing HVAC and roof; so, let's be careful out there!
The house sold for 215k in 2009 and sold for that same price in 2012. So your guestimation of 80k less 5 years ago isn't too far off. Additionally, the House got a new roof in 2007.

I find Homesnap to be a much better resource than Redfin as it allows you to see some of the prior listings.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:32 PM

^ That's a cool site. Thank you.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:37 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Relative to the other homes that feed into Westwood High School, it's insanely cheaper. Is Anderson Mill a good place to raise kids?
I drive near there every day. My kid plays tennis down the street from there once or twice a week. The short answer is yes.

The long answer is:

If my limit was 225-275K, & wanted the best school path for the money, I would buy there. If my limit was 400K - 450K, I would look at neighborhoods nearby. Why?

- Older homes & many of the homes in the neighborhood are kind of dumpy. (but lots of folks are buying them up & sprucing them up).

- The ES schools aren't as good as the nearby schools at Spicewood ES & CCES.

- Ms. Hound doesn't like the looks of most of the homes in the area (the real deal killer), & the homes were constructed more cheaply. (similar to the homes in Barrington)

- The two apartment complexes IN the neighborhood aren't a plus.

On the plus side:

- The schools are improving every year as more professionals move in.

- The park system (though old) is really nice & user friendly (I don't live there, but use them).

- Feeds into GMS & WWHS.

The difference in the home on Cinnebar (sp?) that you posted (in Canyon Creek) & the home in Anderson Mill is night & day. Neighborhood, ES, quality of home, etc. Definitely worth 100-125K more. 200K more? (I don't know. ) You'll see when you get here.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:35 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post

You're right. I was pumping a little hyperbole into the equation. Still, $80K in 5 years? And it's "cheap" now?

That house is going to be multiple offer before EOB today. I say it ends up going for $303K. (Provided it shows like the photos).

OP. Here's my take. You could buy this place for $150 below your budget, toss $25-30k at energy/landscape upgrades, save $$$ on the house and future taxes, dump the $100k leftover into a college fund for your kids and set them up to be able to come out of college debt free. They'll also end up going to the #2 HS in Austin (yes, WWHS passed WLHS).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin