Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:19 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Your list is a good one though I don't think looking ahead to high schools is a bad idea. The problem with some AISD areas is good elementary schools but weak high schools. I would hate to move within Austin because my high school was bad.
Both of the suggested AISD HS (Anderson, Bowie) are excellent K-12. You are right in a general sense, but not about the schools in those two vertical tracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 AM

527 posts, read 1,232,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldasndood View Post
Thank you very much!

I do have a couple of questions. We're flying in on Friday and leaving Monday at about noon so our time there will be limited. What are some good family outings/day trips that will keep our 6 and 3 yo happy? I've been doing my research on schools in the suburbs and have them listed as: Westwood HS, Cedar Park HS, and Lake Travis HS. Are there any other schools/neighborhoods that I should take into consideration?

Our housing requirements: 4/3, over 2700 sq ft, great school district, not more than 450K, supermarket must be close (<5 miles).
One popular destination is Salt Lick BBQ just outside of Austin. Perhaps check out Lake Travis. There are plenty to see around the downtown area as well.

For housing, the Circle C area is in South Austin has pretty much all good schools. And house prices are right in line what what you listed.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:42 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
With a 3YO and 6YO, looking at the HS level is a bit far-sighted, likely restricting your options way too far. However, if that's your criteria:

(In addition to WWood, CP, LT...)

Anderson
McNeil
Vista Ridge
Leander
Bowie
Vandergrift

Should all be in the mix as well - I'd probably throw Round Rock in there too, since many of the ES/MS that track up through there are great, and RR will likely improve (and isn't too shabby to begin with).
I pretty much agree with Warrior's list. I posted this a few weeks back in a similar thread:

Quote:
...if you are looking for "good areas" with "good schools" (up to 400K) & are just window shopping, then look at areas that feed into the following high schools:

Gtown, McNeil, WWood, Vista Ridge, Rouse, CP, Vandegrift, (maybe RR & Pville), & Anderson (north of the river).

& Bowie, LT & Dripping south of the river. (WLake is out of your range)

Basically 30-40% of Austin will work (& all pretty much west of Mopac). Sorry if i left anyone out.

... (deciding where to buy a home).... is a waste of time until you find out where your job is. (IMO do not live or buy 10 miles north of the river if your work is 8-10 miles south of the river.....or vice versa).

Old 02-17-2014, 09:27 PM

36 posts, read 60,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Your list is a good one though I don't think looking ahead to high schools is a bad idea. The problem with some AISD areas is good elementary schools but weak high schools. I would hate to move within Austin because my high school was bad.

I think the OP is a pharmacist - so WFH seems improbable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Job location? Or is it a WFH setup?

With a 3YO and 6YO, looking at the HS level is a bit far-sighted, likely restricting your options way too far. However, if that's your criteria:

Anderson
McNeil
Vista Ridge
Leander
Bowie
Vandergrift

Should all be in the mix as well - I'd probably throw Round Rock in there too, since many of the ES/MS that track up through there are great, and RR will likely improve (and isn't too shabby to begin with).
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I will be adding these schools to my growing list. From my preliminary searching I've noticed that Westwood, Cedar Park, and Westlake are the highest ranked. Does that hold true?

Old 02-22-2014, 06:39 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,196,233 times
My 2 cents since you can work in many different stores, hospitals etc. You want a family environment, try Kyle Tx or Buda Tx. In Kyle we have Target , a relatively new CVS, Walgreens HEB (has pharmacy) and a new Seton hospital. Walmart will be coming in soon. And I live in the Plum Creek subdivison its definitely family oriented, but small lots approx .20 to .25, unless you custom build a home. (this is in the older part of Plum Creek because many of the new lost in the new section are smaller unless your on t he golf course. Our lot is .70 acres. We purchase 2 lots. There is Ruby Ranch, Elliott Ranch both in Buda with larger lots and beautiful homes. For around 419,000 you can find a nice home. If you want to live on a golf course with walking trails, a top rated elementary school, plenty of family activities. I would choose a golf course lot and custom build a home. There is San Marcos close by and there are plenty of places for a pharmacist. Getting to San Marcos, Buda, are quick commutes. In San Marcos there is Central Texas Hospital, Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, and Target. I prefer to be outside of Austin as I hate the intense traffic.

Being Asian or Asian mixed will have no effect. People are friendly. If your looking for a church a brand new one was built in Plum Creek very family oriented. Kyle has changed so much in the last 5 years. They just built a community college, we have a performing Arts center, a brand new state of the art library. And they are building a new bowling alley and movie theater. All of our stores are recently built so they are modern and attractive. Traffic--its easy to get around Kyle I can be anywhere in a few minutes. San Marcos is 10 minutes away , Buda about the same. South Austin 20 minutes. I feel taxes are reasonable as I have lived many places and they are relative to them, more expensive than Nevada. But I am sure cheaper than California. My electric bill is about 1/2 of what it was in Las Vegas, water pretty much the same. And HOA fees are much cheaper depending on the subdivision, In Las Vegas I paid 150 to the Master HOA per month and then 100 a month to the community HOA. And I get more in the community I am in than I did there. I pay 115 a quarter here.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:13 AM

So I'm bumping this thread as I've added another location with awesome schools and relatively reasonable housing prices: Steiner Ranch.

Would we be out of place in Steiner Ranch? Is it not diverse enough for my mixed raced family?

Old 04-21-2014, 01:18 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
So I'm bumping this thread as I've added another location with awesome schools and relatively reasonable housing prices: Steiner Ranch.

Would we be out of place in Steiner Ranch? Is it not diverse enough for my mixed raced family?
Definitely a lot of white people.. You can look at the elementary that it feeds. Steiner ranch elementary has 56 asian kids out of 729 students.

laura bush elementary has about 11% elementary.

73% white

Only you can determine if that is enough diversity.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:27 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,492 times
Quote:

Steiner isn't as diverse, but I don't think people would consider you "out of place"

Old 04-21-2014, 01:31 PM

53 posts, read 57,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Definitely a lot of white people.. You can look at the elementary that it feeds. Steiner ranch elementary has 56 asian kids out of 729 students.

laura bush elementary has about 11% elementary.

73% white

Only you can determine if that is enough diversity.
A larger percentage of white people does not equal a smaller percentage of those accepting of a mixed-race family.

If you're looking for kind, open-minded people who believe in "live and let live", you'll do fine anywhere in Austin. No worries whatsoever in that department.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavorka View Post
A larger percentage of white people does not equal a smaller percentage of those accepting of a mixed-race family.

If you're looking for kind, open-minded people who believe in "live and let live", you'll do fine anywhere in Austin. No worries whatsoever in that department.

Nice, thank you. Can't wait to visit next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin