Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 05:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Interested in how you came to that conclusion about 6, since there wasn't a single voting precinct in there that went over 45% for Obama - and many under 30%. Ten also - highest was 45-50 in maybe three, with many not over 30%. Tough to see how you get to 51% in either.
"No single voting precinct over 45% for Obama", that is hard to reconcile with the City of Austin demographic map that I linked to. It shows numerous areas there in shades of green and blue (50 to 80%).

It is hard to tell for sure about 6, since the portion of it it outside if Travis County is not shown on that CoA voting map. A large part of the portion that is shown is light blue blue (55-65%) and medium blue (65-80)% voted for Obama. But after studying it again I see that the West portion of it is mostly light green (50-55%) and small parts of it are yellow and orange (less then 50%).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 06:15 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
"No single voting precinct over 45% for Obama", that is hard to reconcile with the City of Austin demographic map that I linked to. It shows numerous areas there in shades of green and blue (50 to 80%).

It is hard to tell for sure about 6, since the portion of it it outside if Travis County is not shown on that CoA voting map. A large part of the portion that is shown is light blue blue (55-65%) and medium blue (65-80)% voted for Obama. But after studying it again I see that the West portion of it is mostly light green (50-55%) and small parts of it are yellow and orange (less then 50%).
To use the 2012 presidential election as a proxy for party breakdown is a fool's errand. Everybody that went to the polls knew that the Texas electoral vote was a foregone conclusion.

The one I looked at was from the COA demographer that you also looked to - titled "Travis County's Emerging Political Polarization 2012." It shows 6 & 10 solidly Republican. Turnout will be everything, and since there is no party identification in council races, won't matter anyway. Tildahat's right - impossible to tell. But the new council will certainly reflect different sensibilities than the narrowly focused one we have now.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
To use the 2012 presidential election as a proxy for party breakdown is a fool's errand. Everybody that went to the polls knew that the Texas electoral vote was a foregone conclusion.

The one I looked at was from the COA demographer that you also looked to - titled "Travis County's Emerging Political Polarization 2012." It shows 6 & 10 solidly Republican. Turnout will be everything, and since there is no party identification in council races, won't matter anyway. Tildahat's right - impossible to tell. But the new council will certainly reflect different sensibilities than the narrowly focused one we have now.
No that is not the one I looked at or linked to. This one is from the actual vote, not the party primaries. http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...untry_2012.pdf

Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
No that is not the one I looked at or linked to. This one is from the actual vote, not the party primaries. http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...untry_2012.pdf
I understand that. The presidential election vote, as I said, is a poor indicator of party breakdown because the votes, in Texas in 2012, we're pretty much meaningless.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I understand that. The presidential election vote, as I said, is a poor indicator of party breakdown because the votes, in Texas in 2012, we're pretty much meaningless.
So you used the party primary vote, which has a very low turnout, to predict the party breakdown? Obviously the party primary vote was a very poor predictor of how people would actually vote in the election.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:26 PM

Proposed final maps posted.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:06 PM

Most interesting things are:

Five of the seven current members live in the same proposed district
The lone African American doesn't live in the one drawn to elect an African American
The lone Hispanic doesn't live in the district drawn to elect a Hispanic - instead lives in the one drawn for an African American.

All means a bunch of new faces on council - or a bunch of folks moving.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:45 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
except for district 5 it seems pretty good.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:33 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,758 times
MUCH better than the initial travesty. I'd have preferred to see Town Lake as a dividing line but I can accept District 9 as OK.

The most interesting district to me is District 4. If the Powers That Be don't lean pretty heavily on potential candidates in the west part of that district it won't elect a black council member and the entire council will be Anglo/Hispanic and maybe Asian.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
MUCH better than the initial travesty. I'd have preferred to see Town Lake as a dividing line but I can accept District 9 as OK.

The most interesting district to me is District 4. If the Powers That Be don't lean pretty heavily on potential candidates in the west part of that district it won't elect a black council member and the entire council will be Anglo/Hispanic and maybe Asian.
I think 1 was the district that was drawn to be Afrucan American. The Chronicle had a good point this week - the VRA, and the resultant race driven gerrymandering that was the first consideration in the 10-1 plan - wasn't to elect a given race. The goal is to elect a representative that is the choice of a minority population - of any race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin