Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:42 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times

Advertisements

I have two Spanish oaks in my front yard. Last year, one dropped its leaves earlier than the other. I learned that same year that trees in better condition will hold onto their leaves longer. This tells me that the other one probably is getting less water/needs a little TLC because it is bare earlier. (I don't mean that it is losing its leaves too early, just that the other one holds onto them longer.) So if one of your cedar elms is behaving differently than the others, you might look at its relative health and the amount of water it gets during the summer.

Also, if you are starting from scratch with your lawn, you might want to look at the grass (both seeds and turf) available through the Wildflower Center. It is a blend of native turf grasses that need less water and only needs to be mown a couple of times a year. The mix also includes some tiny little flower species, so it is really a beautiful look. It is called Habiturf. I am working on other parts of my yard right now, but may eventually convert to this. I understand, however, that it is not so great in shade. That's more reason to have a larger open space directly under a tree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 05:06 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Oh, and don't plan on growing grass under those trees - something about how acidic the leaves are just tears up grass.
Actually, the guy I had out to treat some fungus told me the reason I was having trouble under my oaks wasn't just shade - it was as much from the fact that live oaks suck the acid out of the soil. So I put some peat moss in all the shady areas and my grass has never looked better there. More fuel for the wisdom of using the free Ag Extemsion soil testing to remove doubt.

Back to the cedar elms. They are the most tender, most subject to soil compaction and other construction related issues trees that there are. You have some huge trees that are very valuable. Call one of the arborists here in Austin, have them come out, and do what they say.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:09 AM

49 posts, read 86,772 times
To GrassHopper and Rick: Just asked the builder, they said the grass is a hybrid tiff came from East TX. It's the type of grass used to make the green at golf course. They hybrid it so it can growth well in the shade as well as full sun. It's very soft and fine. I have to check to see if I can "upgrade" the tuff.

To SCM53: The builder will have an arborist out there to evaluate and take action to improve the trees' health toward the end when the house is about to be completed.

To Rick: Yes, Northwood is unique in that sense. The trees are tall and dense there. The Drees/Standard Pacific sections have the best trees (big and tall) while the David Weekly and Scott Felder sections has densed but smaller trees. Another nice thing about this subdivision is the fact that it has became the "flagship" green neighborhood for the city of Austin. As such, they have all kinds of "green" restrictions that the builders have to follow such as max 70% sodded grass, recycling, tree protection, water usage efficiency etc.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:34 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Actually, the guy I had out to treat some fungus told me the reason I was having trouble under my oaks wasn't just shade - it was as much from the fact that live oaks suck the acid out of the soil. So I put some peat moss in all the shady areas and my grass has never looked better there. More fuel for the wisdom of using the free Ag Extemsion soil testing to remove doubt.

Back to the cedar elms. They are the most tender, most subject to soil compaction and other construction related issues trees that there are. You have some huge trees that are very valuable. Call one of the arborists here in Austin, have them come out, and do what they say.
Knew it had something to do with acid content of the soil and those trees.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:50 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceD View Post
To GrassHopper and Rick: Just asked the builder, they said the grass is a hybrid tiff came from East TX. It's the type of grass used to make the green at golf course. They hybrid it so it can growth well in the shade as well as full sun. It's very soft and fine. I have to check to see if I can "upgrade" the tuff.
Don't believe a word about growing Tiffway, or most other hybrid Bermudas in the shade. Supposedly,there is a new Tif Grand that is more shade tolerant. Be sure that is what you are getting. If you are thinking about an upgrade, see if you can get one of the coarse Zoysias like Palisades. Several in our neighborhood have it, and it looks great. Drought resistant, with a coarse blade like St. Augustine. Denser than a Bermuda will ever be, and very shade tolerant.

And, it isn't the golf course green - it is the fairway. That's what it will look like.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:04 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceD View Post

To SCM53: The builder will have an arborist out there to evaluate and take action to improve the trees' health toward the end when the house is about to be completed.

To Rick: Yes, Northwood is unique in that sense. The trees are tall and dense there. The Drees/Standard Pacific sections have the best trees (big and tall) while the David Weekly and Scott Felder sections has densed but smaller trees. Another nice thing about this subdivision is the fact that it has became the "flagship" green neighborhood for the city of Austin. As such, they have all kinds of "green" restrictions that the builders have to follow such as max 70% sodded grass, recycling, tree protection, water usage efficiency etc.
Good move on the arborist. CoA gets a little antsy when large trees are lost. Interesting on the hybrid grass...would be great if it catches on(literally). The 'green' building aspect was one thing that caught our attention back in the spring. The Felder homes are supposed to be ultra-energy efficient and green in terms of building practices. I hope that proves to be true...we could find ourselves interested(again) in the Felder section, even though we downsized to an Avery Ranch town house. Our Pulte town house(ca 2005) is OK, but I sure can see(and miss) the Drees touches. I've got a feeling the Felder homes will come in closer to $300K than the original low 200s. Might be OK if they do prove to be super-energy-efficient.

As a side note, that all-way stop sign going in at Lakeline is going to be a major fire drill. Wonder how long before a light is installed? More and more people are using that Staked Plains extension as a pass-through from AR Blvd...traffic along there is going to get pretty hectic, I reckon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin