Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:36 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I wouldn't own any place that didn't have a professional management company. There are too many financial, legal and regulatory issues for amateur management.
It's very rarely the HOA leech, errr "management company", that processes architectural, landscape or CC&R approvals. Too much liability exposure for them.

Generally speaking, you have a Board of Directors (neighbors), elected by the few that show up to meetings. They then appoint a Covenants/Architecture/Landscape Committee (more neighbors). The vast majority of the time, these are - and always should be - volunteer positions.

Everything breaks down when people forget that it's all neighbors and make it an us v. Them equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
It's very rarely the HOA leech, errr "management company", that processes architectural, landscape or CC&R approvals. Too much liability exposure for them.
My daughter, the "leech" as you call them, would be happy to regale you with hours worth of stories of ignorant, unreasonable, and downright dangerous homeowners. They earn every penny they are paid - in not the least because people discount them as mere "leeches".

Old 11-12-2013, 10:08 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Certain aspects of an HOA are better done by management companies - handling the money, probably the contracting out of work, etc. Other aspects are better left to the homeowners, such as approving plans, enforcing (as necessary), and fining (or not fining).

Old 11-13-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Certain aspects of an HOA are better done by management companies - handling the money, probably the contracting out of work, etc.
And that was the point about a board member contracting with themselves - something that would never happen with a management company.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
My daughter, the "leech" as you call them, would be happy to regale you with hours worth of stories of ignorant, unreasonable, and downright dangerous homeowners. They earn every penny they are paid - in not the least because people discount them as mere "leeches".
You don't earn money from perception. However, if being thought of as a leech is epidemic to the point that is should be factored into compensation, well, maybe it's that whole "smoke" and "fire" thing.
There are equally as many stories of shady, incompetent, and downright dangerous HOA "management" companies. I have yet to deal with one that could not be replaced by software and some common sense.

Everyone's experience is different in life.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:01 AM

Quote:
There are equally as many stories of shady, incompetent, and downright dangerous HOA "management" companies. I have yet to deal with one that could not be replaced by software and some common sense.
Which would be totally open to board members putting themselves on the payroll and burying it in the financials - which was the point to begin with. And why I would never buy in a development that was run as you advocate.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Which would be totally open to board members putting themselves on the payroll and burying it in the financials - which was the point to begin with. And why I would never buy in a development that was run as you advocate.
Which just goes back to my point that the whole system breaks down when people forget they're neighbors.

There are a large number of self-managed HOA's that do just fine.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:26 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Quote:
Which just goes back to my point that the whole system breaks down when people forget they're neighbors.

There are a large number of self-managed HOA's that do just fine.
What is self managed?

Old 11-13-2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
What is self managed?
The HOA runs all aspects of the HOA. No "management" middleman company is used.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:08 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Quote:
The HOA runs all aspects of the HOA. No "management" middleman company is used.
I'm aware of a sort of middle-of-that-road situation. An individual hired to manage the association. Salaried. Not a resident. With benefits (don't know why). And then a secretary and a handyman also with benefits and on salary. They are onsite at the hoa in an office. They manage the master association, some sub associations and even a nearby association or two.

Yet they are not officially a management company. They don't seem to be listed as such and don't have a website or market themselves as such. And they don't have a separate management company name.

Yet they are not residents doing the work.

An in between status we haven't encountered before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin