Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 01:55 PM
ail ail started this thread

34 posts, read 78,747 times

Advertisements

I've done a lot of searches on line and can't seem to find any non-school public courts in these areas! I'd like to play tennis on a weekday morning, and don't want to have to drive so far (like South Austin) to hit. Please tell me there's something nearby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 02:23 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,438,169 times
Here you go...

Places to play tennis in Austin, TX | Tennis Maps

As you get away from the city 'core' of Austin, the options narrow more to private or school courts, as you can see.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:09 PM
ail ail started this thread

34 posts, read 78,747 times
Thanks so much. I saw this too, but in the areas I'm interested they're pretty much only school courts (I called, not allowed to use them during school hours) or private courts. I don't belong to a club. It seems crazy that there aren't more offerings here where there are so many families who'd love to utilize public courts. Driving 1 hr round trip to play isn't too convenient for me.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:15 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,739,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Here you go...

Places to play tennis in Austin, TX | Tennis Maps

As you get away from the city 'core' of Austin, the options narrow more to private or school courts, as you can see.
Coach Rick's info is accurate. The only "public" courts in the areas (towns) that you list are school courts (that many people use during off school hours). WLHS, LTHS & the middle schools that serve WLHS. Same for Vandegrift HS courts (which get alot of use).

All other courts appear to be private.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ail View Post
Thanks so much. I saw this too, but in the areas I'm interested they're pretty much only school courts (I called, not allowed to use them during school hours) or private courts. I don't belong to a club. It seems crazy that there aren't more offerings here where there are so many families who'd love to utilize public courts. Driving 1 hr round trip to play isn't too convenient for me.
The towns that you mention (Bee Caves, Lakeway, Westlake Hills) don't want to pay for public courts. (especially if there are school courts available during non school hours.)

Old 11-13-2013, 04:08 PM

As I've mentioned before, coming from Atlanta, the dearth of tennis courts outside the 'city' was a bit of a shock. We're fortunate to have 5 courts at Avery Ranch...a sub-division this size in Atlanta would have 20+. Just a different market.

Maybe Austin Tennis Academy would have something reasonable during their non-peak times:http://www.austintennisacademy.com/
Good luck!

Old 11-13-2013, 04:29 PM

318 posts, read 666,071 times
Quote:
As I've mentioned before, coming from Atlanta, the dearth of tennis courts outside the 'city' was a bit of a shock. We're fortunate to have 5 courts at Avery Ranch...a sub-division this size in Atlanta would have 20+. Just a different market.

Maybe Austin Tennis Academy would have something reasonable during their non-peak times:Austin Tennis Academy | Living the Sport!
Good luck!
And a PROGRAM to go with those 20+ courts! I miss that a lot. Maybe someday.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:

Maybe Austin Tennis Academy would have something reasonable during their non-peak times:Austin Tennis Academy | Living the Sport!
Good luck!
Lakeway would be more likely to have something reasonable. ATA is a Junior Academy - lots of home schooled kids who play all day.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Lakeway would be more likely to have something reasonable. ATA is a Junior Academy - lots of home schooled kids who play all day.
Good point...I stopped coaching juniors over a decade before I 'retired'. Didn't realize A T A was that kind of facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: