Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:54 PM

127 posts, read 297,894 times

Advertisements

I had very bad experience when I had to deal with the other side, but after called the dealer, got the feeling that the insurance companies treat the insurance claimers the same, no matter you are at fault or not, they just tend to repair your cars at the minimum cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
In regard to fixing the car, I don't know of any reason you would want to get involved in dealing directly with the other party, I see no advantage in that to you, just let your insurance company deal with it. That is the way we have dealt with it and it has worked fine. You mentioned hospital, so if there is bodily injury issues, that might be a different matter, but I would try to work through your own insurance company first.

My wife was injured in an automobile accident, where it was the other persons fault. We did experience some difficulty getting some medical bills paid, so my wife consulted with an attorney who coached her on what to write in a few letters, which did result in a satisfactory settlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 02:56 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,277,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Farmers will set up your repair and rental through one of their drive-in shops. No point in going through Geico.
I have a completely different viewpoint. Your insurance company has a customer - you. Farmers has a customer - the person that hit you. Farmers is interested in satisfying their legal obligation, at the lowest possible cost. That might not include satisfying you, as you are not their customer. It might, but it might not.

I'd file with my company, then let them get the money out of Farmers. They have battalions of attorneys to fight Farmers, if it comes to that. The downside is, until your company gets paid, you are out your deductible.

n.b. - my advice might be clouded by forty years with the company rated #1 for customer service. It may very well be that Farmer's could treat you better than Geico. If you find that, then I wouldn't renew with Geico.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:02 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
The times that one of my cars has been involved in a non-at fault accident I've always notified my insurance. Mostly to get a record going in case the other party's insurance refuses to cover the accident, tries to low ball the damages or if (in one case with my oldest son) the insurance coverage doesn't exist.

A non-fault accident should not under any circumstances count against your policy. That is one misbelief a lot of people have. Just because you make a claim through your insurance doesn't mean it goes against your record.

If it does then you need to contact your state's Insurance Commission.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:06 PM

My first thought was to let the professionals deal with the hassle and my car should get fixed perfectly since it is not my fault, but it turned out my insurance doesn't provide me that level of freedom, instead, they have a list of designated shops, which makes me wonder if they will repair my car with cheap parts or new parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
In regard to fixing the car, I don't know of any reason you would want to get involved in dealing directly with the other party, I see no advantage in that to you, just let your insurance company deal with it. That is the way we have dealt with it and it has worked fine. You mentioned hospital, so if there is bodily injury issues, that might be a different matter, but I would try to work through your own insurance company first.

My wife was injured in an automobile accident, where it was the other persons fault. We did experience some difficulty getting some medical bills paid, so my wife consulted with an attorney who coached her on what to write in a few letters, which did result in a satisfactory settlement.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:14 PM

It is a bright side to getting my own insurance involved, so I don't have to wait for responses from the other party which it not supposed to be in my favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
My car was totaled and the other person was at fault -- they crossed the double yellow line and slammed into me head on. Anyhow, they had very slow insurance, so I claimed through my own insurance so I could get the situation resolved quickly, and my insurance is going after their insurance for repayment.

I'm still waiting to get my deductible back (going on 6 months now).

Old 11-25-2013, 03:16 PM

I haven't checked the details. Thanks for reminding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Yes, but does your insurance company just pay the claim or do they go after the other guy's insurance? Mine only pays the claim, so if I don't want it to count against me, I file the claim with the other party.

Twice I was hit and it was the other driver's fault and in both cases, I went straight to their insurance. The one time it was my fault, the person I rear-ended filed a claim against my insurance. So, I'm just curious how it is supposed to work.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:17 PM

Would you mind sending me the name of the collision shop you went to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
I can't imagine having to contact the other insurance company and do the footwork myself -- that's WHY, in part, we pay for auto insurance in the first place. No one pays me to be a claims agent.

Been hit twice in three years, both to the front end, entirely the other drivers' fault both times. Needed the entire bumper, lights and grill replaced both times, and a lot of internal engine work the first time (box truck reversed into the front of my car, onto my hood.) Got to pick where I took my car, both times, from a long list of collision shops already rated top in the city.

Both times my car was back to me in perfect condition two-three weeks from date of the accident and all claims and transactions finalized. Just had to return the rental car my insurance company provided to me, free of charge, and then they rental car agency drove me directly to the shop to get my car.

I would expect nothing less when it comes to auto insurance claims.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:21 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post

my advice might be clouded by forty years with the company rated #1 for customer service. It may very well be that Farmer's could treat you better than Geico.
Amen and I agree; we are insured by USAA too.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:27 PM

Isn't it only for military members and their families?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Amen and I agree; we are insured by USAA too.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:34 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graygray View Post
My first thought was to let the professionals deal with the hassle and my car should get fixed perfectly since it is not my fault, but it turned out my insurance doesn't provide me that level of freedom, instead, they have a list of designated shops, which makes me wonder if they will repair my car with cheap parts or new parts
Where are you? I ask because, while many insurance companies have preferred shops, most states specify that you can take the car anywhere to be fixed.

Be aware that many times an insurance company will push for used parts on a car much older than 2 or 3 years old. One accident (a rear ending) my daughter had the other company pushed for that. With the body shop's help we pushed back and got the new part (rear bumper). Unfortunately, 3 weeks after we got the car back it was in a roll over accident (daughter was listed as at fault even though there was evidence on the front fender that supported her claim of another car cutting her off which caused her to go off the road) and totaled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: