U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-25-2007, 01:43 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,769,768 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of retiring to Texas from California. My sister lives in Austin, and says Wimberley is a great place, as it is more liberal than most of Texas (and we are, after all, Californians). We have been briefly to Wimberley, and liked it. Will be going to Austin for Christmas, so we will have some time to explore. We are torn, though, between the small town community benefits of Wimberley and the availability of a university for taking classes and available healthcare in San Marcos. Also, we would like to have more than a normal lot - would like a few acres. So what is the distance between Wimberley and San Marcos? Any thoughts about balancing small town life and available services?

Thanks for any input any of you have.
G Grasshopper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 02:13 PM

409 posts, read 902,899 times
The drive from Wimberley to Texas State University isn't far. If you want a place with acreage, that would be a good choice.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:20 PM

390 posts, read 1,055,664 times
Move to Driftwood!
10 Min to Wimberley , 20 min to San Marcos , 10 min to Kyle , and 30 min to congress st Austin.. The center of the world really..

Seriously, plenty of acreage lots essentially all over Hays county ..

OK I am biased (:>

Cheers

Old 11-25-2007, 06:40 PM

260 posts, read 575,561 times
Hi there!!!!

I'm moving from San Marcos to NW Austin. I am very familiar w/ the areas of San Marcos and Wimberley and will give you pluses and minuses of both.

San Marcos pluses:
- Location-- Right off of I-35; close to shopping (outlet malls), not far from Austin or San Antonio.
- Affordable-- you can get one acre lots for around $50k or so. If you go further outside of town up RR12 towards Wimberley, the price is even lower.
- Some entertainment-- San Marcos River (tubing, picnics, etc), a couple of good restaurants and downtown night life

Wimberley pluses:
- Scenic-- this is a VERY pretty area to live in. Pretty far out there (no freeway close by)
- Affordable-- you can get land for much cheaper than other areas and I imagine it'll appreciate nicely.

San Marcos Minuses:
- Limited Grocery shopping... we have two HEB's (local grocer)... one is SMALL and one is normal sized but always crowded. This has been an issue for me since day ONE.
- Population doubles when Texas State school is in session; makes it annoying when traffic doubles (it's still not nearly as bad as Austin though).
- Limited dining but options are increasing w/ local places popping up.
- The people... I've found that it's hard to make friends here. Lots of people around here are from here or have been here a long time and have their own small circle of friends. We moved here from Phoenix where we had a huge network of friends and here we only hang out with 2 couples.

Wimberley Minuses:
- Tourists-- this is a touristy area with touristy shopping. Not much else is available.
- Used to be a dry county (that's a minus for me) Not sure if that changed or not.
- Definately limited with options for shopping/dining/etc. You will need to drive for major shopping

I agree w/ the other poster who recommended Driftwood. It's really nice and a bit closer to Kyle/Buda area and S. Austin than Wimberley.

Another nice location is New Braunfels. My brother in law is a home builder and there are some NICE homes in Havenwood (in between San Marcos and New Braunfels). I love New Braunfels; it's a cool German town but has the Guadelupe River and more shopping/dining options than San Marcos and is very close to San Antonio.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:42 PM

Thanks for all the helpful information! How is the Johnson City area? I've been looking at real estate sites all around the hill country, and it seems like there are many developments and land in developments for sale. We are interested in building a close-to-zero energy home, solar, etc. and having a wild yard (not lawn), lots of wildlife habitat around, so I'm not sure developments would work, although there are perks, I suppose. Want to meet people who are like minded - into nature rather than hunting, and not too hung up on living grandly. If you (or anyone else) has additional thoughts, would appreciate.

Thanks,
G Grasshopper

Old 11-26-2007, 06:26 PM

384 posts, read 1,061,492 times
I helped a family member find a house in that area. We looked at Wimberley and some other area towns, but found what he was looking for just outside of San Marcos (several acres).

Wimberley seems like an attractive little town that would be fun
to visit on a fall weekend, but is relatively isolated.
San Marcos, for any faults, has tremendous outlet shopping, a large university (more students than any university in Alabama or Mississippi),
a nice little public park corridor on the river, and is conveniently situated along the interstate.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:42 PM

28 posts, read 93,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Thanks for all the helpful information! How is the Johnson City area? I've been looking at real estate sites all around the hill country, and it seems like there are many developments and land in developments for sale. We are interested in building a close-to-zero energy home, solar, etc. and having a wild yard (not lawn), lots of wildlife habitat around, so I'm not sure developments would work, although there are perks, I suppose. Want to meet people who are like minded - into nature rather than hunting, and not too hung up on living grandly. If you (or anyone else) has additional thoughts, would appreciate.

Thanks,
G Grasshopper

You sound like our kind of neighborts, Grasshopper! We're looking for about the same thing: acreage to build energy efficient house with neighbors who would rather look at nature rather than blowing it to kingdom come. We're looking at Wimberley (we're recently retired), San Marcos and after all that's been written in this thread perhaps New Braunfels. Just wondering if you come across any good areas for acrerage outside traditional subdivisions.

Good luck in your journey! John

Old 01-03-2008, 11:51 PM

8,642 posts, read 16,419,952 times
If you want to live rural, you're going to run into hunters no matter what...So please, don't be condescending to them Hunting is pretty popular in these parts. Just a note, I'm no hunter, but know quite a few people who are. And they don't shoot wildlife to kingdom come. Only what they can eat themselves.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:53 PM

Personally, I have nothing against hunters, if they are respectful of the ecosystem that supports what they hunt (not tearing it up as they go or killing needlessly or endangered species). I grew up on Wisconsin, where hunting and fishing were popular. While I would not personally hunt, and would not want it around me, I don't think hunters are evil. But I am a naturalist, a field science teacher, and I want to do what I can to preserve living things.

Back to real estate, I am still looking. It is hard to find wild acreage that is also close enough to services that we won't spend all our time and money driving to stores, etc. It would also be wonderful to be able to take some classes and enjoy some community life. So complete isolation is not a goal for us. We want to live as responsible citizens of the world by treading lightly on our resources and trying our best to protect a little area of the wild.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:04 AM

8,642 posts, read 16,419,952 times
A friend of mine is big on Bandera, but I'm not sure how far from everything it is. Actually, I think it's kind of close to Kerrville, but don't quote me on that. I'm terrible at directions An aside, my dad used to be an avid hunter and one day just decided he'd much rather watch the wildlife running free than shooting at it. I was surprised by that since he was so big into it, but I guess there just comes a point in your life when it just loses something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin