U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:57 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,748,875 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing everyone say how great Allandale is. Why is it so much better than other intown neighborhoods?

I have a friend that insists I should move there instead of Shady Hollow. I don't think I can deal with having a small house on a small lot anymore -- it's nice to have room for the kid and dog to run around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 01:57 AM

6,849 posts, read 10,761,453 times
I also like Allandale a lot. Your friends may be recommending it because it is a very convenient location, and it's an older "original" Austin neighborhood that is still affordable (but not for long).

It's got nice mature trees, Shoal Creek, and some big lots... but the houses (as you may have noticed) are on the smallish side and mostly built in the 60's... many have low ceilings. There is also the rail noise (Mopac). Those are the drawbacks.

But the location is excellent -- it's are right along 2222/Allandale Rd/290 (all the same road), which is the best east-west thoroughfare in Austin. Travel east 10 minutes, and you are east of I35 at the Mueller development, or well on your way to the airport. Travel west 10 mins and you are at 2222/360, near the boat ramps for Lake Austin, or well on your way to lake Travis. Lamar, Burnet, and Mopac also run right near or through Allandale, for in-town routes to downtown and other close-in neighborhoods.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:57 AM

5,321 posts, read 6,503,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
I keep hearing everyone say how great Allandale is. Why is it so much better than other intown neighborhoods?

I have a friend that insists I should move there instead of Shady Hollow. I don't think I can deal with having a small house on a small lot anymore -- it's nice to have room for the kid and dog to run around!
OK, I'll bite...IF one could find a suitable house in the area, why NOT live there. DW is looking 90% in that area while I certainly don't mind moving a bit farther out with newer construction, newer infrastructure, etc. We are trying to stay close to relatives around 2222 and MoPac but I think 'close' is a 'relative' term(bad pun this early). Is the area too old and established?

Old 11-26-2007, 10:58 AM

8,737 posts, read 18,031,156 times
Too old and estabished for what? The houses in Allandale are smaller and older, although for the most part very well maintained and/or updated. They tend to attract couples without children yet or older, empty nesters. There are, of course, other residents, some of which have lived there a long time. I think the space issue is the main reason, since many of the houses there are quite small compared to what most parents are looking for. On the other hand, I do have friends that have two children and live happily in ~1500 sqft.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:00 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,360,665 times
NM found it

Old 11-26-2007, 01:22 PM

5,321 posts, read 6,503,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Too old and estabished for what? The houses in Allandale are smaller and older, although for the most part very well maintained and/or updated. They tend to attract couples without children yet.
Sorry, thought you could read my mind. We are leaving a 1950s rancher and would probably seek something newer in terms of a house AND a neighborhood. Our current area has its share of original homeowners as well as younger couples with 1 or 2 children so I think Allandale would be familiar. I would trade the 'charm' of the older construction/area for newer plumbing, electrical and mechanicals, not to mention energy efficiency. Tarrytown and Allandale may be just a touch too established for me...might have to convince DW to mosey out 2222 a bit.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:42 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,748,875 times
If I were single, maybe Allandale would work. But we have a little one and 2 dogs, tons of books and about 7 computers. Guess the burbs is the place for us now.

Boy, I feel old! I never thought I'd be saying I'm happy to move to the burbs!

Old 11-26-2007, 03:41 PM

2,084 posts, read 3,858,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post

I don't love it. There actually are a bunch of pot smoking hippies living in the rentals in Allandale. I wouldn't raise kids in this area.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:21 PM

6,849 posts, read 10,761,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I don't love it. There actually are a bunch of pot smoking hippies living in the rentals in Allandale. I wouldn't raise kids in this area.
Wonderful insight. You've described pretty much all central Austin neighborhoods. You win at internet!

Old 11-26-2007, 04:23 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,485,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Where??? Waiting for an invitation ha ha.
Allandale is right across mopac from us, and I love it. There are tons of cute shops, restaurants, library, coffee shops...and it's close to the airport. Size is a non issue for us, we're just not that into 'stuff'...our house is 2800 SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin