Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 08:49 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 749 View Post
If we can't stay on topic, perhaps we should start over with another thread. I see a lot of people dodging the question.
I think what you see is people rejecting the premise, and the crazy tin foil hat logic supporting the premise.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:58 AM

18 posts, read 18,214 times
@austin-steve
3 pages of this thread, and you're the only poster whose addressed the question. Everyone else either dodged it, or tried to veer off topic.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:09 AM

675 posts, read 1,904,893 times
We all addressed the question. The answer is: nothing much. If you want I-35 to become a expensive area you'll be better served letting gentrification occur naturally as it is. There is no correlation between the Dallas Tollway and richness. It was built AFTER the neighborhoods were already there, genius. And finally, are you trying intentionally to drive away the black population from East Austin? You know they were forced to move there by a city ordinance in 1929 and they did a great job of establishing their own communities there. Gentrification is pushing them out and letting hipsters move in and take over. Is that what you want more of? That's what it sounds like.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
Let me flip the question back on this troller. SINCE Mopac is going to have a toll lane, what WILL happen to I-35?

Anyone?
People who normally use Mopac will have the option of paying to use an extra lane. This will make room for more cars who would have normally used I-35. This will relieve congestion on I-35, and add more cars to Mopac.

This will happen on the NORTH side of town. The south side of town down to Circle C will see no benefit from this, and will also see an extra 30,000 cars a day pass through on it's 2 lane Mopac when SH45 is completed.

Raskolinov, was your question about the north or south side? I think SW Austin values have more to lose from the I-35 swap. The north side will be negligible.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 AM

Nobody has anything to 'lose'. This is a ridiculous thread that isn't grounded or logical. Austin's traffic is a disaster, and study after study shows that almost nothing is going to change the worsening conditions over time unless you can get 15,000 fewer people to drive cars, or build a real train or subway system that actually brings people from the suburbs (north, south, west, and east) into downtown and then home again. Swapping SH130 and I35 will possibly be good for I35 if more trucks and interstate traffic can be pulled onto 130. If 35 becomes a toll road then I suspect SH130 gets more traffic.

Mopac is going to get more traffic either way, because people want to move to Southwest Austin and that isn't going to slow down no matter what happens. So in one sense you're right, Mopac is going to suck more and more over the next few decades. But that happens either way, and it does not affect property values. If people didn't want to move down to southwest Austin, then it would lessen traffic on Mopac. So you're right but still are saying ridiculous things.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Swapping SH130 and I35 will possibly be good for I35 if more trucks and interstate traffic can be pulled onto 130. If 35 becomes a toll road then I suspect SH130 gets more traffic.

Mopac is going to get more traffic either way, because people want to move to Southwest Austin and that isn't going to slow down no matter what happens. So in one sense you're right, Mopac is going to suck more and more over the next few decades. But that happens either way, and it does not affect property values. If people didn't want to move down to southwest Austin, then it would lessen traffic on Mopac. So you're right but still are saying ridiculous things.
See, that wasn't so hard, now was it? It just took 3 pages of dancing around before we came to it.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:34 AM

But it has nothing to do withs swapping. It has to do with a huge demand for living in Northwest, West, South and Southwest Austin - and that is not going to stop. And it has nothing to do with making I35 a private road.

Why don't you address my question about how you avoid being viewed as a racist for wanting black East Austinites to have to move away if your theory holds true? (What was that theory again? That tollroads make areas suddenly 'rich'?)

Old 12-19-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Why don't you address my question about how you avoid being viewed as a racist for wanting black East Austinites to have to move away if your theory holds true?
lmao FAIL.

I will need a 20 lb string to haul in that red herring.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:15 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 749 View Post
lmao FAIL.

I will need a 20 lb string to haul in that red herring.
Wow. Nine posts, nine times *issing in people's Wheaties, while adding nothing observant to the conversation.

You're on a roll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin