Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northerners, what is your biggest gripe about Austin's climate
The summers are just too long, start too early, I miss a fall cool down. 6 31.58%
The peak summer temps are just too hot. 4 21.05%
The winter weather is way too fickle, 75 degrees one day, 25 degrees the next. 5 26.32%
I somewhat miss the cold right before Christmas but that's it. 0 0%
I like Austin the way it is, I don't need those nasty winters anymore (or I'm a southerner checking the results). 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:51 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,882,652 times

Advertisements

It was interesting to talk to a new neighbor from up north, she was talking about how they hated the see-saw weather in winter. She said they knew that the summer would be hot so that wasn't a surprise, but she didn't expect weeks that ranged from 90 to 20 within the course of 5 days.

I told them that our winter is very unstable, kind of like the springtime up north. Her response was that springtime was "supposed" to be unpredictable. I can't really identify with that statement. To me, springtime represents sunny mild weather and winter is an unpredictable crapshoot.

What surprised me was that the thing she hated the most was the 75 degree humid day that we had in December, she said "It shouldn't be humid in December." I actually kind of like those days because it helps my skin moisturize and I know it won't last long.

In any case, I figured I'd put a poll together for northerners only, I only want you to answer if you've lived north of I-70 for at least 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,886 times

Old 12-18-2013, 07:41 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,400 times
I could have voted for more than one and added a few.

The unstableness or 'up and down' is nothing new for us; it's more prevalent in CO around the Front Range than it is here. The only other difference is in CO there aren't really undesirable peaks and valleys as there are here -- more appropriate or welcomed weather changes for the season.

I felt the same way as your neighbor regarding that humid day in early December -- yuck! 75 degrees in a steam room -- in December -- is not great in my book, even with my dry skin.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:53 PM

Since I've lived up north, I decided to vote myself and I really don't like the seesaw weather either.

I would prefer it to be average in winter, high in low 60's, low in 40's than the roller coaster weather.

However, that being the case, I do like a little variation and I loved that 75 degree humid day. But I'm one of those rare people that love humidity in the winter and Houston's winter climate is among my favorite. In summer I like it bone dry and Austin suits me well in that regard, although I could use around 5-10 degrees less on many of the days that time of year... I guess California's Med climate suits me best overall but family and low cost of living keeps me here.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
I could have voted for more than one and added a few.

The unstableness or 'up and down' is nothing new for us; it's more prevalent in CO around the Front Range than it is here. The only other difference is in CO there aren't really undesirable peaks and valleys as there are here -- more appropriate or welcomed weather changes for the season.

I felt the same way as your neighbor regarding that humid day in early December -- yuck! 75 degrees in a steam room -- in December -- is not great in my book, even with my dry skin.
I don't know if there are not undesireable peaks and valleys in CO. A coworker in CO Springs said it was -15 with a high of 3 last week I believe. That is very undesireable to me...

Old 12-18-2013, 08:11 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Since I've lived up north, I decided to vote myself and I really don't like the seesaw weather either.

I would prefer it to be average in winter, high in low 60's, low in 40's than the roller coaster weather.

However, that being the case, I do like a little variation and I loved that 75 degree humid day. But I'm one of those rare people that love humidity in the winter and Houston's winter climate is among my favorite. In summer I like it bone dry and Austin suits me well in that regard, although I could use around 5-10 degrees less on many of the days that time of year... I guess California's Med climate suits me best overall but family and low cost of living keeps me here.
I would prefer it be average every month. The winter sucks. The 2011 summer absolutely sucked. You get this sweet spot for weather here during spring and fall and that's about it. With all of that, I still would prefer it over n'oreasterners...

Old 12-18-2013, 08:28 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I don't know if there are not undesireable peaks and valleys in CO. A coworker in CO Springs said it was -15 with a high of 3 last week I believe. That is very undesireable to me...
That was highly unusual. HIGHLY. I never experienced temps like that in my 13 years there.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
That was highly unusual. HIGHLY. I never experienced temps like that in my 13 years there.
Neither did my coworker. He was very cold because he just moved to CO from SE Asia. Ouch! That must have been a real shocker!

Old 12-18-2013, 08:52 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
Midwestern childhood, four Iowa winters, one Chicago winter! They can keep winter!! Austin weather is fine by me!

(It did take many years to get used to it though).

Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 PM

45 posts, read 89,396 times
I don't know that I count. While most of my life I've lived north of I-70, I was on the coast, which tends to make things milder all around.

I miss the soggy PNW. I miss the constant grey skies and rainy days. That said, I don't mind the weather in Austin too much. It beats the socks off the 100%+ humidity that I lived with in Florida. Summers suck, but they give me a reason to look forward to the winter. Winters rock. I love the unpredictable roller coaster that is Texas winters. It gets cold just long enough to enjoy it, and then boom - it's right back up to shorts and t-shirts weather. It's awesome.

All in all I'd say Austin is completely habitable - and downright comfortable for 9 months of the year. The other 3 months? Well, whoever invented Air Conditioning should be sainted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin