Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:06 AM

737 posts, read 1,574,235 times

Advertisements

I have never had to take tylenol for a burning throat from allergies before, but consider it a first.
I have been to the dr and it's just allergies when it almost feels like strep throat.
I am taking allergy d pills every 12 hours and have a nasal steroid. How do yall cope with this?
Should I switch allergy d brands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 10:11 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,017,348 times
Yes, try different types of OTC allergy meds, each one is only effective for a portion of the population. Sounds like you are getting hit with cedar or a tree pollen allergy (oak makes me feel like I have swallowed glass) or the nasty type of mold that is high right now.

I take zyrtec every day. You might want to see an allergist and get started on shots. They do make a difference.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:52 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,827,038 times
The sore throat is from nasal drainage, you need an antihistamine to control that. There may be one included in what you call "allergy d" pills. Such as Claritin-D or Walitin-D (Walgreens brand) which I use. You definitely should go see an allergy Dr. and start taking the shots, they do help but it takes time to start seeing the benefits.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:21 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,443,925 times
This may seem to be from left field...do NOT brush your teeth just before bed(or a nap). Even the most natural toothpaste will dry your throat and create all sorts of additional problems. Brush your teeth just after your evening meal or snack, as early as possible before bedtime. No benefit to stripping your throat and sinuses just before deep-breathing for 6+ hours.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:35 AM

43 posts, read 79,166 times
This will sound crazy at first hearing but those doing research may wish to investigate using "gentle paper" tape to keep the mouth closed at night and force you to breath thru your nose. This has benefits both for allergies and dental health. I also wear a sugical mask at night which helps keep pollens out and acts a personal humidifier to keep some moisture in. I've recently read that using a regular humidifier at night can make any dust mite prolems worse. Dust mites are second only to pollen in terms of allergy problems. Google "Buteyko" for more info on the mouth taping and interesting breathing techniques for asthma and allergies.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:07 AM

847 posts, read 762,496 times
I just take a whole lot of Vitamin Cs. it help me big time.

I usually take 3000 MG in the morning and I take another 2000 MG during the day.

theoretically Vitamin C is water soluble so you should be able to take more than you need and it will dissolve.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:15 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,382,898 times
In addition to allergy meds (I do generic Claritin), don't forget the neti pot option. Kind of gross, but I'll use it regularly during allergy flare-ups.

It cleans out anything hanging around in your sinuses that might lead to the dreaded sinus infection, the scourge of allergy-sufferers everywhere.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:41 AM

45 posts, read 89,006 times
My tried and true is honey. The key is that it has to be locally sourced, raw wildflower honey, in order to have the local pollen worst offenders in it. About 1tbsp/day during the worst of the season works as an inoculation against the pollen. We've moved all around the country and have battled the worst of the allergens out there and nary a sniffle.

I just add it to my breakfast (stir it into my oatmeal/smoothie/whatever).

Old 01-24-2014, 12:41 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,184,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane View Post
I have never had to take tylenol for a burning throat from allergies before, but consider it a first.
I have been to the dr and it's just allergies when it almost feels like strep throat.
I am taking allergy d pills every 12 hours and have a nasal steroid. How do yall cope with this?
Should I switch allergy d brands?
Yes, it feels like strep throat for 3 months for me. Burning, can't talk, kind-of-sore.
Post nasal drip. Constantly.
Extremely itchy eyes. (three Rxs for that alone).
Runny.
Stuffy.
Sinus pressure (every Cedar season I develop a sinus infection half way through).
Itchy nose.
Itchy skin.
Body aches.
Extreme fatigue.

It's like having a cold and the flue on top of it for 3 months straight. For real.

And I've tried all the medicines out there and seen two of the best allergists in Austin.

I should mention that I have a friend who suffers equally from cedar fever and she started taking allergy shots last spring. She had to go twice a week for 6 months, then just once a week. Major commitment of time and money. While she understands it can take 3-5 years to see a decent effect in most (hopefully, sometimes they do NOT work), she was also hopeful she would see SOME improvement this cedar season but she's experienced NONE whatsoever.

As far as coping? Sometimes you can't if you also suffer badly from mold the rest of the year and feel like you have a cold year round here from the high levels that exist here. And you're on an allergy Rx 365 days a year. Sometimes you have to move.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:32 AM

43 posts, read 79,166 times
Smile allergy drops may be helping

They said the cedar last season (roughly Dec to Feb) was the worst in 16 years. I finally couldn't take it and went here for allergy testing Austin Allergist | Texan Allergy because I knew I could get the drops (here's their video on those Allergy Drops Austin | Texan Allergy). After finding out that I was allergic to EVERYTHING THEY TESTED (except dogs thank God) they started me on some meds because the drops can take months to work. I've been taking generic Singulair and using Nasacort (which is over the counter). Both of those took a while to get going but I've been much better and have been taking the drops for about 5 months. Since I generally try to avoid drugs I hope the results are more from the drops than the drugs. That said these drugs don't seem to be producing any side effects (however Singulair maybe (?) does not seem to be a good choice for those under 20 or so because of possible emotional effects -- Google for info). Hoping to gradually scale back the drugs (have cut back on the Nasacort). Of course the pollens are always changing so the experiment is not a good one in terms of clear conclusions as to what's doing what. As you can imagine I'm glad just to be feeling better. Almost no congestion, no asthma, maybe one or two sneezing fits a day but really I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I guess I won't really know until we hit cedar season again. I'll try to remember to report back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin