Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:27 PM

31 posts, read 65,778 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about relocating to Austin from Iowa on January 27th.

I graduated from the University of Iowa in 2012 with a degree in International Studies. After graduation I got a job with the Japanese government teaching English in a Japanese junior high school, which I did from July 2012 until September 2013. Hated the job though, so I quit and moved back in with my parents in Iowa. The thing about Iowa though is that I royally hate living here. It's an incredibly depressing place. Employers don't seem to even consider people from out of state for entry-level jobs anyway.

Due to this...i've decided to take the plunge and up and move to Austin. The reason why is that I had read online that the job market is stronger than most parts of the country. I have around $9,500 saved up to last me until I get a job. I'm not particularly picky about jobs. Ideally though, i'd love one with a non-profit organization. I've been doing volunteer work at my local Junior Achievement office since November btw.

Got some questions though....

1. What would you recommend as the best way of staying in Austin until I can get a job (and the ability to get a year long lease)? Hostels sound sketchy to me, would subleasing an apartment be a good idea? Are there month-to-month leases available in the metro area, or do they not really exist?

2. Is it true that the economy in Austin is as good as people say? Which parts in particular are experiencing the most job growth?

3. Where do you personally think are the best places to find jobs in Austin? Local newspapers, or Linkedin, or somewhere else?

4. Is it simply a stupid idea to do this? Do people actually do this and successfully get jobs?

5. Any tips or advice you can give would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,942 times
Get a job first.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:45 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,955,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gekishinken View Post
i'm thinking about relocating to austin from iowa on january 27th.

I graduated from the university of iowa in 2012 with a degree in international studies. After graduation i got a job with the japanese government teaching english in a japanese junior high school, which i did from july 2012 until september 2013. Hated the job though, so i quit and moved back in with my parents in iowa. The thing about iowa though is that i royally hate living here. It's an incredibly depressing place. Employers don't seem to even consider people from out of state for entry-level jobs anyway.

Due to this...i've decided to take the plunge and up and move to austin. The reason why is that i had read online that the job market is stronger than most parts of the country. I have around $9,500 saved up to last me until i get a job. I'm not particularly picky about jobs. Ideally though, i'd love one with a non-profit organization. I've been doing volunteer work at my local junior achievement office since november btw.

Got some questions though....

1. What would you recommend as the best way of staying in austin until i can get a job (and the ability to get a year long lease)? Hostels sound sketchy to me, would subleasing an apartment be a good idea? Are there month-to-month leases available in the metro area, or do they not really exist?

2. Is it true that the economy in austin is as good as people say? Which parts in particular are experiencing the most job growth?

3. Where do you personally think are the best places to find jobs in austin? Local newspapers, or linkedin, or somewhere else?

4. Is it simply a stupid idea to do this? Do people actually do this and successfully get jobs?

5. Any tips or advice you can give would be much appreciated!
Why Austin??????

You've asked this question about LA, Hawaii and DC today. You have no idea what you're doing. You have no focus or plan and expect to pick up and move to a place you've never been in a couple of weeks with no job, no contacts/support and virtually no money. This is a horrible idea.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:51 PM

67 posts, read 131,360 times
don't move to texas without a job. if you don't find one, we'll just drop you off deep into one of our borders. one of them is water.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:54 PM

31 posts, read 65,778 times
A-Tex: I had narrowed down a list of 5 locations (the three you listed, Austin, and Boston). The reason why I was considering Austin is because I have a lot of family in Texas (though not Austin), and everyone says the economy there is just booming.

My main purpose for posting these topics is just to get opinions before I book my flight. I'm for sure moving from Iowa on the date indicated and just like reading opinions from people already there.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:14 AM

269 posts, read 428,279 times
1. You can rent a room in someone's house, you can get a month to month lease (although it comes with a huge premium), or you find a sublease.

2. The economy is good in the sense that we don't have a lot of unemployment- I would say that we have a lot of young people underemployed. We have a lot of Tech jobs. Since you are an international studies major- it will be difficult for you to find a job in your field.

3. Networking

4. I think with your major its a bad idea. If you were in a different field you would probably have more luck. But I wouldn't recommend a move to Austin without a job. Although it would be super hard in DC given the number of people with degrees + advanced degrees + experience in your same field, it will be easier to find a job in your field in DC than it will in Austin.

Last edited by ppp38; 01-04-2014 at 05:19 AM..

Old 01-04-2014, 06:30 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,640 times
The Austin economy is extremely robust, but you should know that doesn't mean a job is going to fall from the sky and hit you. The University of Texas is simply massive in size and is churning out highly-skilled graduates by the thousands at all times. You will be competing with them.

Also, remember that roughly half of all Austinites (city proper) hold at least a bachelor's degree. You're degree probably stands out less here than it would in most other cities in the country.

I recommend lining up a job before moving here. Better safe than sorry.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:43 AM

363 posts, read 988,713 times
This plan sounds like a sure thing to me. What can go wrong?

Old 01-04-2014, 08:14 AM

772 posts, read 1,060,076 times
If I can assume that you are about 23? i say why not. When will you do it if not now, when you are 40 with kids? While its ideal to move somewhere new with a job, people do it everyday without jobs. But people are so risk averse. I may be speaking as an immigrant to the US. I know so many people from my immediate and extended family that have moved to a new country with a lot less than $10K with no jobs not knowing even 1 person and doing all sort of menial jobs but they come out on the other side because they are okay with things taking time to be okay and believe where they are going is better than where they are coming from. And all this is done while trying to sort out whatever immigration issues that they may have. But I understand that no everyone knows people like that.
I don't know if it has to be Austin but if you want to leave Iowa, I say do it. You have ~$10K which should help you for a while if you manage it frugally, be prepared to not have everything you want or be super comfortable in where you are living.. as long as you are safe, you should be fine. Whichever city you end up deciding on, dont rent an apartment on your own, rent a room in someone's house / apartment. Find somewhere close to whatever public transportation options available in the city, dont listen to anyone telling you how its not perfect, thousands if not millions of people use that public transport system as it were annually in that city.

I have lived in 2 of the cities you are considering (Boston and DC) just moved to 1 (here) and have spent considerable time in LA. They all have some form of public transport. Get a bicycle from Craigslist or similar. And start pounding the pavement. Most probably you would have to be prepared to start of with food service or other lower paid jobs like store security etc.. while you are looking. You will find something sooner or later, maybe not in the industry you want and you will be happier than you currently are.

Ask yourself, whats the worst thing that could happen, you are not 15 years old!, if it doesn't work out in whatever time span you set yourself, you can always go somewhere else.. or go home.. at least you have that

Old 01-04-2014, 08:16 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,054,582 times
I had a friend who moved to Austin without a job. He has little skills and no degree. He is now working in a restaurant, and is happy.

For those who say it's a bad idea, it's not practical, but sometimes people have to take chances in life. I give the OP credit for having the balls to try a move. It might not work, but if he never tries, then he will never know.

What's the worst that can happen? OP lives somewhere different until savings is depleted, and has to return to Iowa.

I've done the same thing, but I don't live in Austin. I rented a room, started volunteering at a nonprofit, and they hired me eventually. I was also applying for anything, and would have worked any job that paid money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin