Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:39 AM

454 posts, read 763,218 times

Advertisements

The heat in the summers in Texas is more restrictive than the cold up north. Because it's so hot here, there aren't as many outdoor activities you can tolerate in the summer. Summers turn into a season of going to the movies and walking around shopping malls to escape the heat. One puts up with it to have the milder year-round temperatures, but I severely miss a comfortable mild summer where you don't break a sweat walking to your car. I've raised my children in Texas, and they don't know what it is to be outdoors in August! We usually take a trip to upstate NY in the summer so we can enjoy some regular summer weather.

After 30 years in Texas, I still miss being outside in the summer. And skiing in the winter w/o traveling. All the rest is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 07:45 AM

454 posts, read 763,218 times
I also find that in the south, cold weather=bad weather, and not having to shovel snow is a big deal.

Growing up shoveling snow is actually fun, and I remember making money shoveling neighbors walks. It's not something you enjoy at 70 years old, but it's no big deal at any other time. It usually means you got the day off of school, so you associate shoveling snow with the positive. The you go sleigh riding with your friends.

Also, up north they clear the snow very quickly, and most of the time the day is business as usual. Giant storms are fun if you're a kid-not so much if you are old.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:51 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
The heat in the summers in Texas is more restrictive than the cold up north. Because it's so hot here, there aren't as many outdoor activities you can tolerate in the summer.
My Michigander wife and a large part of her family - all living here now - would differ with you. Might be they got more snow than you did. Half of them have pools and love being out in the heat here.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:03 AM

184 posts, read 248,559 times
After 33 years in Ohio, i'd be happy to never see snow again in my life. I love the heat and love it here in Florida. I have a good job offer in Austin but i'm not sure I want to take it (I have a decent job here too) because it actually seems to get colder than I like there in the winter and I've become spoiled by Florida winter. Nothing better than being on the beach on the first day of winter when it's 80+ degrees in my opinion.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:04 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Quote:
The heat in the summers in Texas is more restrictive than the cold up north. Because it's so hot here, there aren't as many outdoor activities you can tolerate in the summer. Summers turn into a season of going to the movies and walking around shopping malls to escape the heat. One puts up with it to have the milder year-round temperatures, but I severely miss a comfortable mild summer where you don't break a sweat walking to your car. I've raised my children in Texas, and they don't know what it is to be outdoors in August! We usually take a trip to upstate NY in the summer so we can enjoy some regular summer weather.

After 30 years in Texas, I still miss being outside in the summer. And skiing in the winter w/o traveling. All the rest is good.
Your opinion and entitled to it...but I love the heat and the summers. The only time it gets uncomfortable for me is when we have a bad streak of over 100 degree days. Anything under and I'm perfectly happy. So, to each his own. I can't imagine someone who dislikes the heat living in Texas anymore than I can imagine me in a colder climate!

Old 01-18-2014, 03:30 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post
People should stop being so spoiled.

Since When are we suppose to describe raining weather as Nasty. After all we need the rain for drinking water.

If you believe physics, There is a reason we have four seasons.

Have you Considered that without a good cold Winter Most of Trees Won't be able to Naturally get rid of Themselves of certain diseases

Modern life can only accommodate so much of our comfort us.
There are different climates. Some climates are hot year round, some rainy, some dry, some have four seasons, some only one season, some have rainy seasons and dry seasons, etc...

Texas doesn't really have a "cold winter". It is not part of the climate. It has nothing to do with whether I believe in "physics".

Old 01-18-2014, 03:35 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:

It depends on how cold. A winter in northern USA/Canada can indeed be more restrictive than a summer in Texas. Also, there are times they recommend you not to even go outside up north like the last arctic blast a couple of weeks ago.

At least in Texas you don't need multiple layers. I felt "restricted" when going outside up north because I always had to wear multiple layers. Also, I rarely did anything outside in the winter, it was just too cold. Here, I'm always on my deck drinking beer, going to the pool, out on the lake, etc...

And many people in upstate NY take a vacation to Florida in the winter to escape the cold. It goes both ways...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin