Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 02:01 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,941,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Have you ever driven in NYC ?
I knew someone was going to bring that up. Yes I've driven in NYC, its aggressive. I meant the freeways in Houston are very rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Then you have never driven in DC.

I don't see driving fast as "aggressive", per se. Driving right up someone's butt - even if you are doing the speed limit - IS aggressive. Cutting across two lanes in one move IS aggressive. Forcing your car into a one car space in the adjacent lane IS aggressive.

I drive all over the country and don't see people here as worse on any of those, and not nearly as bad as in the DC area.
No. Texas has some very aggressive drivers in large vehicles who get ticked off to no bed if you're not going 90+ along with them. Other places I've been to have idiot drivers, careless drivers and tailgaters in small sedans. But Texas cities have dudes in large trucks and women in SUVs that will just get frustrated at you going just five to ten above the limit.

Have you ever been on a freeway in Houston? Austin isn't that bad I admit.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:52 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,532,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicalPartisan View Post
where you came from,
I came from Lubbock in West Texas, went off to Ghana and Melbourne for a few months, then came back.

Quote:
why you moved,
I moved for my undergrad at UT. UT and Austin offer the best value for what I was looking for in a college experience.

Quote:
what you didn't know about Austin before you moved,
I wasn't aware of how fast the culture is changing here. Austin's "weirdness" is completely lost on most people. What makes it special is the diversity and integration of completely different lifestyles, not the prevalence of some sort of monolithic counterculture. It seems like most expect it to be like some sort of giant bohemian neighborhood. Many of the transplants are, indeed, making that lifestyle prevalent, and I find it inorganic and kinda lame.

Quote:
and what you love and dislike about your new home.
Hate: Driving here really is a hassle. Narrow lanes, a$$hole/clueless cab drivers, T-intersections everywhere (absolutely awful from a traffic flow standpoint), increasing amounts of tourists figuring out how to navigate, overcrowded roads, events exacerbating the problem. I'm lucky enough to live where biking is an option, but only in a few situations.

This problem applies to Texas overall, but particularly in Austin. There really is so much "buzz" here; the few attractions in the area are getting so crowded that they aren't worth the hassle and end up being a letdown. (It takes a lot of cognitive dissonance for me to wait in line for a crowded place to "relax".) The Texas Triangle is going through some big growing pains, and I think they'll get worse before they get better in the coming decades. Austin will find a way to redefine its identity, but whether it's one I identify with is the big question.

Love: For the time being, it really fits my personality. I love being able to swim practically year-round. It's outdoorsy and active. It's laid-back, yet there is lots of opportunity in my field. It has a "Texas mystique" and certain intangibles about its atmosphere that I love.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:26 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,778,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
No. Texas has some very aggressive drivers in large vehicles who get ticked off to no bed if you're not going 90+ along with them. Other places I've been to have idiot drivers, careless drivers and tailgaters in small sedans. But Texas cities have dudes in large trucks and women in SUVs that will just get frustrated at you going just five to ten above the limit.
I hear that stereotype all the time, and I see some of it, but what I see mostly is some pretty serious tailgating/aggressive driving by drivers in small sedans.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I hear that stereotype all the time, and I see some of it, but what I see mostly is some pretty serious tailgating/aggressive driving by drivers in small sedans.
Are you sure? Maybe in Austin but I have a pretty vivid picture of guys with buzz cuts and Oakleys in huge trucks or big bear looking dudes in suburbans or platinum blonde soccer moms with big bug eye shades in white Tahoes barreling down the freeway. My guess has always been that when you're in a vehicle that large going 90 with the AC blasting and the radio at full blast, that speed just feels like coasting. So to them a small sedan going five above the limit irritates the hell outta them and kills their vibe or something, and they get pretty aggressive.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:39 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,532,846 times
Quote:
Are you sure? Maybe in Austin but I have a pretty vivid picture of guys with buzz cuts and Oakleys in huge trucks or big bear looking dudes in suburbans or platinum blonde soccer moms with big bug eye shades in white Tahoes barreling down the freeway. My guess has always been that when you're in a vehicle that large going 90 with the AC blasting and the radio at full blast, that speed just feels like coasting. So to them a small sedan going five above the limit irritates the hell outta them and kills their vibe or something, and they get pretty aggressive.
You're stretching it a bit. In my experience, there's little of that in Austin. I wish I could say that about the small sedans.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:41 PM

Yeah, I'm sure. Some if it's in the city, but some on the highway, way out of town. I don't suppose I'll mention the make, but it's become a bit predictable. I don't have as much of a problem with the bigger vehicles. It happens, but not as much it seems.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:57 PM

The only exception I can make is for luxury automobiles. I think I know which one you guys are talking about.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
The only exception I can make is for luxury automobiles. I think I know which one you guys are talking about.
Nope, not a luxury vehicle. Though, there's some of that, too.

Time to get back to the topic...

Last edited by capcat; 06-08-2014 at 07:32 PM..

Old 06-08-2014, 07:33 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,838,637 times
Quote:
You haven't been in Austin in a very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin